Stupid coffee making question

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
acmeist

Stupid coffee making question

Post by acmeist » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:37 am

My older kids and I like coffee, but I have never bought a coffee maker for my house because my husband can't stand it or the smell. We are all out of the church, so he's not morally opposed to it. However, I am interested in getting a coffee maker now. Are there any work arounds anyone can think of to making it w/out smelling up the house? He works from home, so he would be able to smell it all morning if I made it. I thought about making it in the garage or outside with the electrical outlets, but I know that is ridiculous. Any ideas?

wtfluff

Re: Stupid coffee making question

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:28 pm

A coffee bar in the garage sounds like a great idea to me. 8-)

Otherwise; If you're willing to spend a bit of extra time making your magic bean infusion drink, try out an Aeropress. It's more work, but it cuts down on that wonderful aroma that Mr. Acmeist can't stand.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:36 am

acmeist wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:37 am
He works from home, so he would be able to smell it all morning if I made it. I thought about making it in the garage or outside with the electrical outlets, but I know that is ridiculous. Any ideas?
The heightened Mormon sense of smell and unrighteousness detection can usually be a good thing. You will know in advance when space aliens are trying to probe you or when single women who are polygamy-receptive are available.

The downside of that heightened sense can send them into a fit-like state whenever their engorged sinuses detect that you are brewing a cup of coffee. Their rational senses leave and the bestial sense of whining takes over.

Your initial idea of the garage or tool shed may be your best bet.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

acmeist

Post by acmeist » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:23 am

Ha ha! I do agree that being raised Mormon made the coffee smell a zillion times stronger to him. But, I also had no idea about French press and Aero Press options, so I think I may try those. Thanks for the suggestion! There is a whole world to coffee making I need to explore now.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:39 am

Coffee smell usually comes from coffee that is sitting around. With a little creativity, I don't see why you cant do it in your kitchen. They key is minimizing the chance for your coffee to let aromas mingle in the air.

1. If use only drink a small amount of coffee, use a Kurig machine. That way you just make what you want. This way you don't have a pot sitting around. K-cups can get a bit pricey if you get a lot of them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018UQ5AMS
2. If you want a full pot of coffee, buy a setup with a thermal carafe. Good ones will have mechanisms in the pot to minimize airflow in and out to keep it hot.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TQEDE4 (I have a version of this. Expensive for a coffee pot but will keep it hot for quite a while.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LU2I3V0
3. Use sealed travel mugs like a Contigo or Buddy. This way won't be spreading vapors while you are not sipping. Plus this will also help keep your coffee hot longer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IR77HG8
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IR77HG8
4. Consider cold brew. Coffee smell is stronger when it's hottest. Cold coffee will minimize the smell coming off of it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C36HVWK
Last edited by Just This Guy on Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:35 pm

i usually make French press. There's a coffee smell, but it's reduced. They're cheap to try if you want to give it a go, and they make great coffee.

I like this one. Get the plain stainless steel one if you get one because the finish wears off the others.

https://www.amazon.com/Large-French-Pre ... th=1&psc=1

If you like cold brew, you could also make that. Pretty much no smell there.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:38 am

I started with a $7 Ikea french press and then got an aeropress for my birthday. Both are pretty aroma-friendly. Aeropress is quicker, so probably less odor. If you have a stove hood you could turn on the fan and waft away whatever aroma it makes.

Personally, I don't get it. I love the smell of coffee in the morning. Smells like victory.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:49 pm

I love the smell of the coffee grinder in the grocery store. Perhaps that is due to having evil jeans. The only grocery store smell that is better is pinecones and cinnamon at Christmas.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:35 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:49 pm
I love the smell of the coffee grinder in the grocery store. Perhaps that is due to having evil jeans. The only grocery store smell that is better is pinecones and cinnamon at Christmas.
Trying to picture these on a penguin. . .
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

alas

Post by alas » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:34 pm

If you want no smell around the house, try cold brew. I got a pitcher at bed, bath and beyond that is made for cold brew. It closes at the top, so no order at all gets out into the fridge, and if it did, it is in the fridge. When coffee has sat overnight in fridge to brew, you pour yourself a cup, and since it is cold, that produces very little oder. I hate the smell of coffee too, but the coffee helps with ADD, and rather than go on medication like a large percentage of my children and grandchildren, I am choking down coffee. The smell bothers my TBM DH, and the cold brew is really the most oder free way you can go. Of if that is insufferably slow, try some of the flavored coffee. I drink medium roast (less burned bean smell) and hazelnut flavor. The flavor of the hazelnut sort of gives a pleasant smell on top of the yuck coffee smell. I tried cinnamon, but the taste was too bitter, but it didn’t smell too bad because I like the smell of cinnamon. So, just experiment until you find what works best for you.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:37 am

My daughter just went to MacDonalds to get some breakfast and coffee. Nothing like the fresh smell of coffee in the morning to rouse Mormons from their native soil. Just read the headline of Republicans in Florida trying to make it illegal to film police officers.
-- Moksha