New Ward because .. why?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Cnsl1

New Ward because .. why?

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Our stake recently added a new ward, pulling members from adjacent wards, which seems odd given that these wards seem much smaller than they've ever been, and sac mtg attendance cannot currently fill the chapel, much less the over flow.

Stake leaders report the new ward is needed due to new converts and new members moving in, but no one that I've talked to has really seen any significant growth.

I wonder if it's more about putting feathers in caps, and pressing for a closer temple. Who knows? Really makes no matter to me.

Any one else observe "growth" that doesn't seem to be real?

wtfluff

Re: New Ward because .. why?

Post by wtfluff » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:32 pm

Ever work for one of those companies where you change offices every other month or so? Because moving furniture around = "Progress."

Yeah, "The Church" is one of those companies.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:29 pm

I was curious about the average number of members per unit and made a quick graph using numbers from the statistical reports on membership and the number of units (wards + branches):
mpw.png
mpw.png (27.39 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
I was surprised to see that the average number of members per unit has gone up in the last 20 years. I was half expecting to see the number of members per unit to go down in the last few years. I had made the assumption that creating wards could be a method for creating an illusion of growth.

The number of members per unit has leveled off in the last few years but it's interesting (to me) how the average number of members per unit hovered around 400 people for about 60 years, then took off like a shot in the late 90s.

I'm not sure how to interpret that. Maybe greater quantities of members are required to arrive at the magical "ten members that do everything." Like before they could find ten such people among 400 members, now they need 500 or more to find those ten.

With the recent changes during Nelson's tenure, fewer PH holders are required to run a ward (no more YMP, no more WML, no more HPG). That seems like the perfect setup to create a lot of new wards... or again, an indication that they're having a harder and harder time finding people to do things. If that is the case, maybe there will be a stern, "do your callings :evil: " talk or two during GC.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:56 pm

It would be interesting to see that graph with only US LDS members per unit.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:36 am

That would be interesting. It would weed out wards in countries where there are 900+ members on the roles with less than 100 attending.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:18 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:56 pm
It would be interesting to see that graph with only US LDS members per unit.
It would also be interesting to see ward size charted against tithing & fast offerings intake. Also, a version of that chart counting only members who attend regularly (e.g. at least 3 Sundays per month).
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:24 pm

If I remember correctly, average activity rates have decreased. So, more members per unit is necessary in order to fill callings and keep a ward running. My guess is that decisions regarding ward splits are based primarily on # of average sac attendance.

Back when I was one of those ward leader guys, I remember there was a lot of attention placed on average sac mtg attendance and it seemed that the number affected what the ward budget would be. I also remember bishops discussing how to get that number up during thinner times, like summer vacation or spring breaks, by scheduling missionary homecomings or farewells during those times if possible.

I remember a lot of concern about some numbers. Avg sac attendance, # of prospective elders, and # of members without TR.