What Charities Do You Support

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Just This Guy

What Charities Do You Support

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:18 am

We had a thread about what people do when they stopped paying tithing and several people stated they support various new charities now. I want to start a tread where people can talk about the charities and non-profits that they support and provide information if anyone else wants to support them as well. So please feel free to talk up some of the charities that you like.

Tell us about the charities you support. How do they help the community? How can we help them out?

I would recommend that they be 501(c)(3) registered charities in the US or the local equivalent for other countries for charitable organizations.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Just This Guy

Re: What Charities Do You Support

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:23 am

So to start it out, my Charity-of-the-Month is:

Appalachian Prison Book Project
https://appalachianprisonbookproject.org/

They provide books and other educational materials to inmates in prisons throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. They also provide scholarships to inmates to complete GEDs and to take college classes while incarcerated. Reducing re-incarceration through education.

Donation Info:
https://appalachianprisonbookproject.or ... ed/donate/
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:23 pm

The Road Home in Salt Lake City.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:41 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:23 pm
The Road Home in Salt Lake City.
They will keep people from freezing to death on the streets again this year. What a worthwhile group!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:27 pm

We donated to the Utah Food Bank this month.

My older kid pulled up their website and a charity rating website and told us all about how almost all of the money goes to getting food to people so it is a good charity.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:21 pm

My Charity-of-the-Month for March.

Worldwide Vets. A UK based animal care group.
https://www.worldwidevets.com/

They are doing a special effort to rescue horses caught in the Ukrainian war zone.
Donation page: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... =2Ve8y6APJ