If there isn't there should be.

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
deacon blues

If there isn't there should be.

Post by deacon blues » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:16 pm

is there a media source where instead of giving one slanted political view, representatives of opposing views have a polite but deep discussion of a topic from opposing views? I'm thinking of something like Street Epistemology where both sides of the discussion are informed. Maybe it won't sell, but maybe it would.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Re: If there isn't there should be.

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:14 pm

The politics section of Mormon Discussions (they call it Spirit Paradise) gets into issues tooth and nail. Most media is centrist in outlook, except for Fox and imitators who have fully embraced partisan politics.

Politics has changed drastically since 2016.

Sometimes mixed ideologies produce interesting results. Consider the case of China: A communist government and a nearly unfettered capitalist economy which will overtake the US within 5-10 years as the world's dominant economy. Their cities are gleaming while the infrastructure of the west crumbles. The US on the other hand shows signs of an imminent civil war.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:52 am

Should be. Wouldn't it be something if you could get a panel from the right and left to have a live debate? An actual organized event to debate the political topics that have become so toxic? Something like the old McLaughlin Group. It can get heated, but stay respectful. Give equal time to present factual data with time for the opposing side to defend or support. Have some from the far left, right, and moderates. Not more than 3 or 4 from each side. Have some topics that are planned ahead for preparation, followed by some topics at the moment. Its purpose information from each side that we otherwise don't see.

I used to try and give time to the side I oppose, but just can't stomach it any longer. I'd rather see issues debated in an organized, polite-ish way.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:38 am

I remember radio and TV programs like that from decades ago. Now whenever they attempt it people just talk past each other. It seems like any desire to find common ground is no longer on the table.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:49 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:14 pm
. . . The US on the other hand shows signs of an imminent civil war.
Something about the penguin getting serious makes this statement all the more eerily frightening.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born