Go Webb!

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

Go Webb!

Post by Hagoth » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:26 am

The James Webb telescope finally left the planet after $10B and 25 years of development. Whew.

Now we just twiddle our thumbs for 6 months before we get to see the fist images. My thumbs will be worn to the bone by then.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: Go Webb!

Post by wtfluff » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:01 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:26 am
The James Webb telescope finally left the planet after $10B and 25 years of development. Whew.

Now we just twiddle our thumbs for 6 months before we get to see the fist images. My thumbs will be worn to the bone by then.
Next Stop: KOLOB!!!

8-) :lol: :P :mrgreen: :ugeek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:23 pm

The Webb Space Telescope will be able to hie to Kolob in a twinkling of an eye and show us the places where time began to be.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:16 am

Once it reaches it's final destination nigh unto Kolob, a day for Webb will equal a thousand days for Man. What a brilliant way to extend the warranty.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:19 pm

Go Webb indeed!

Looks like it's still on track so far in it's complicated unfolding process. They announced today that due to the great launch by the Ariane 5 rocket the Webb telescope should have enough fuel to keep the scope up there and working for significantly longer than 10 years, great news.

NASA put together a nice tracking web(b?) site here https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:17 am

This was just relayed in from the new Webb Telescope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7M2u1Fy748&t=117s
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha