Ms. Stealth and I and wine drinking

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
stealthbishop

Ms. Stealth and I and wine drinking

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:37 am

So we are just getting into wine drinking. I must say that it's a rough start. We both feel like it doesn't taste very good to be honest. We like the relaxing effect but we may need some help since we are so new. Any wine drinkers out there who can help us? What are some wines that are good for beginners?
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

wtfluff

Re: Ms. Stealth and I and wine drinking

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:20 pm

I'm not really a wine drinker, but for beginners Moscato and Riesling are suggestions I have read a lot.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

hmb

Post by hmb » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:46 pm

I agree with Moscato. White wines are easier than red. I have not been able to develop a taste for wine and I really dislike anything beer. I like the hard stuff though.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:44 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:20 pm
I'm not really a wine drinker, but for beginners, Moscato and Riesling are suggestions I have read a lot.
Hard to ever go wrong with Riesling. Vikings would have drunk Riesling had they known how to make wine. Jesus probably served Riesling at the wedding in Cana.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:52 pm

Speaking as a mostly dumb wine guy, finding a wine you like is a little tough because there are so so many, and different restaurants will not have the same kinds, which is somewhat unlike beers where you can usually find one you like and stick with it.

That being said I have found wines I like. Rieslings are white wines, as far as I know, and some are sweeter than others. Moscatos are sweeter, sometimes too sweet imo, but usually recommended to people who are new to wine and want it sweeter and less alcoholic. My wife likes the bubbly cold and sweet red wine at Olive Garden. I can't remember the name but it's cheap and a little too sweet for me.

I cannot remember the wines I've found that I've liked. Fortunately, most restaurants do let you taste before buying it. Wine people have told me to find a region that you like.. such as napa vallley or Russian river valley,
but I don't attempt drinking wine enough to even remember the region when I find a likeable one. As much as I wanted to like wine, it turned out that I was more of a beer guy.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm

I would suggest trying out various wines with food pairing first as a way to find something you like. Enjoy a nice dinner with a glass of wine. Don’t focus on the wine. Focus on the dinner and friendship experience while sipping the wine. You’ll realize the experience makes the wine enjoyable. I prefer the bold reds. A Chianti is great with Pizza, pasta, or a nice steak.

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:27 pm

I'm not much of a wine (or any other alcohol) drinker either, but I agree about Riesling. Very tasty, which makes me think it might be considered a beginner's wine.

When I do indulge, I prefer Mike's hard limeade.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:39 am

In my first wine-drinking attempt, I purchased a bottle of white wine from the grocery store. It tasted like paint thinner. I've since grown more accustomed to the taste and recommend trying Barefoot wine, especially red wines. Also, St Chapelle huckleberry wine is lovely. I'm not a regular drinker, but it is nice for evening relaxation. Also, a study once came out that said a glass of red wine is equivalent to an hour at the gym, so there's that 8-) .

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/0 ... 17240.html

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:54 pm

Barefoot Wines and Oreo Cookies are teaming up to make a wine. This might represent a good first wine for Mormons since it is unlikely anyone will be able to make a wine from hard wheat food storage.

https://www.abc4.com/news/cookie-flavor ... foot-wine/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:31 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:54 pm
Barefoot Wines and Oreo Cookies are teaming up to make a wine. This might represent a good first wine for Mormons since it is unlikely anyone will be able to make a wine from hard wheat food storage.

https://www.abc4.com/news/cookie-flavor ... foot-wine/
Interesting combination. I'd try it. :D

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. I will return and report to Ms. Stealth!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:39 am

Snarky TBM observation. Sure, you guys are all about the "authenticity," but obviously you just wanted to sin. ;)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:09 pm

The Church will now have to put Arby's curly fries on their banned list and perhaps reintroduce polygamy to compensate for it.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:38 am

Another starter wine is a white zinfandel. it is milder on the wine taste and a bit more fruity.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams