Cannabis. What is my problem?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
stealthbishop

Cannabis. What is my problem?

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:53 am

I've been trying to use cannabis over the past few years and I had "high" hopes that I would love it. I've tried smoking it and edibles. And I don't love it. I'm not sure what my problem is and it's getting to the point that it's even hard for me to understand how other people can like it or use it regularly. I tried it again in edible form about a week ago and it was a little better but not a great experience. Maybe it is the setting. Maybe it is my orthodox LDS upbringing that is giving me difficulty with my mindset. But I'm a little bummed out that it's turning out to be not as much fun as I thought. I have used it for sleep a few times and that has been a better experience.

But I would love to get your thoughts and experiences. Should I give up? Does it get better with regular use?
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

alas

Re: Cannabis. What is my problem?

Post by alas » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:19 pm

Or you could just not like how you feel under the influence. Some people don’t like it for various reasons and there are people who just don’t get high.

There are people who hate the feel of different things. Like I hate being on even the slightest amount of narcotic. It doesn’t kill pain, and just puts me to sleep in big enough doses to kill pain, and make me brain fogged and sick to my stomach in smaller doses. So, one day after surgery, the physical therapist comes over, then is angry because I didn’t take any narcotics. I talk to my brother and he says, “try oxycodone rather than OxyContin. So, I contact the doctor and request to switch because it does nothing for pain. Well, the oxycodone is slightly better. It kills pain about as well as aspirin. But at least I can tell the physical therapist I am on it.

So, if you don’t like it, just accept that as normal for you.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:01 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:53 am
But I would love to get your thoughts and experiences. Should I give up? Does it get better with regular use?
I can't give you any personal experience but I have at least one friend who claims to have tried almost every drug on the planet during their wild years, and they HATE cannabis. They are one of those people who just get paranoid when partaking at 4:20.

I don't think there's a rule in the former-members-of-high-demand-religions rule-book that says you "Have To" like cannabis, so why force it?

However... I'm told that there are so many different strains now as compared to "The Old Days..." Maybe you just need to spend some time researching which strains will work for you. Find another NOM friend that can lead you down the right path (you know who you are - Send The Bishop a DM. :mrgreen: ) Or spend more time picking your Bud Tender's brain next time you visit the dispensary.
Last edited by wtfluff on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:04 pm

I have no interest in it nor alcohol.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:42 pm

I have a couple friends with this problem and even one of our daughters. Just can't find a place for this plant in their lives. The endocannabinoid system is complex and so are all the compounds in Mary Jane. I had been exposed to MJ clear back in 1977 when I was just entering JHS. The plants was pretty mellow back then, lots more CBD compounds that offset the THC content. The new hybrids and concentrates are way more powerful today than what I could get as a kid. So I was no stranger to it, even though I was without it for years as a TBM, there was never a big stigma for me about the plant.

I've been a heavy user for the past 4 years now, daily for the past two. I've watched my DW build her own relationship with MJ, as someone who had never tried it until the past few ears when she went xmo. She truly loves this plant and what it has done for her physical and mental health. I am the same, it's become one of the most important things for my quality of life. I'm not married to one way of consuming it. In fact I move around the spectrum of strains and forms of consumption as I think it helps with tolerance levels. I have many different uses for MJ in different situations, so a lot of it is what you want to get out of it. But I do think that some genetic make ups won't synch up that well with it, but don't give up hope!

There is so much to choose from now that MJ is being regulated and commercialized. This is overwhelming when you first get into it and honestly, it was a bit overwhelming for me when I first went into a dispensary. I was old school; just give me a bag of boo, some papers and a lighter and I'm good bro. But since then, getting my medical card from UT, learning more about the science of the plant and being able to experiment safely at home with all the different products, it's been a wonderful ride for me! I even had Covid last week and being on MJ through the whole thing was actually not a terrible experience (granted I had a mid to mild case of mostly lethargy and not respiratory issues).

I do think set and setting are very important when you find it difficult to get into MJ. If you have any stress at home or you'll be interrupted or have to adult, yeah, those are likely things where MJ will just get in the way. Got to clear the calendar and if you don't have quiet space at home, get the hell out of there, go kayaking or just go for a hike. Solid blocks of time that's just you and nature, no other peeps to worry about or deal with. Or if you can get time at home, a bath, some music and some really good munchy food. After my experiences with MJ as a kid, some in college and then now I've come to realize how little I knew about this plant and it's potential for me. I can completely check out or I can have a transcendent psychedelic experience or I can be highly cognitive and problem solve. Set, setting, dose.

From my observations and own experience, you have to prime your endocannabinoid system a bit or it gets to be a slippery slope. I've seen this many times where a first time user or it's been a while, you take and edible and nothing happens, so you take another one, maybe an hour later and boom, now are you in the stratosphere with nauseating spins and paranoia, not a good time. It's hard to know where each person's scale is. Better to take an edible, if no effect, wait 4 or more hours before the next one and usually in 10mg doses. I have some friends that just get nothing from edibles no matter how much they consume, it's hard to know. Then the friends that take an edible once a month or something...just doesn't do much. I would say no less than once a week or the THC primer is likely gone and your affect can vary widely.

Edibles are tricky, I use them the least. For me they are good for concerts, outdoorsy things like hikes. I start with 15-20mg, maybe 30 but it can get dicey after that. If I take a 30mg edible I might experience a little high over the next day. It's not bad, like a hangover, just a little foggy in the brain, a little more mellow vibe, but I actually like it.

Vape - I like this one the best, lots of variety to choose from in flavors and effects. I can sip my way into a high; take a little hit, wait a few minutes, take another, it's more like sipping alcohol, easier to gage how waisted you are getting and just stop when you feel like it. No hero puffs here, that's just dumb imo. Sip it like a fine wine and ease into the affects of the liquid gold. Also way easier on the lungs with small hits. Also, if you can figure this out, just suck the first hit into your mouth, let it cool a bit, then pull that into your lungs. First hits are usually still hard and if you have a coughing fit, you definitely should wait a while before the next one, usually means you hit it too hard and will be feeling some affects pretty quickly, maybe more than you'll want.

Flower is king. There's something really, dare I use the word, spiritual about taking flower. Smelling it, grinding it, placing into a paper, pipe, bong or vape, then hitting it light to try and find the notes and flavors of it. I know it sounds all trippy hippy fancy, but this little ritual feels nice, like you are preparing your mind and body as you prepare the plant for consumption. This is a set and setting thing too, having a nice space and the time to sit and do this, alone or with friends and family. We recently had DWs brother and family over from Europe and it had seen so many years since we'd seen them. They too have left the church and it was an absolute awesome day with them sitting on our back patio, smoking together, enjoying the plant and sinking into interesting conversations and lots of loud laughter. It was all so organically joyous. Once again, no hero hits here, that's just dumb. Smoking is the hardest for most folks, especially if you have no experience smoking anything. Got to ease your way in, tiny hits, take some smoke into your mouth, let it sit for a few seconds, then take that into your lungs really easy. No big hits! You'll likely cough anyway, but no reason to kill yourself. But if you have mixed company or kids at home, smoking may not be an option. This was my case for a few years, until DWs shelf broke. I still managed to indulge out in the garage or out on my solo outdoor trips. I had a cool little pipe I made out of some old air compressor fittings and my hidden stash. It was a fun time being stealthy, but not nearly as fun as getting out all our beautiful glassware, gadgets and top shelf flowers when friendly friends come over for social events now! Vape can be done outside without a lot of the smell, so the pens are pretty convenient and have a longer shelf life than edibles.

Dab - This is the most complex consumption method. I just started dabbling in this last year (bad stoner dad jk), pretty novel and skeptical at first, but I've mastered it and now have a new appreciation for distilled concentrates, especially live resins. I have a simple little bong/dab rig where I heat up a quartz bucket/nail/bowel with a torch, get it glowing, then depending on the type of hit I want, wait 10-30 seconds for the quartz to cool down, then take a little metal pointy tool with just a little of the sticky concentrate on it, like a bb size and stir it around in the bucket. It basically boils and evaporates as you suck it through the bong water. One hit and you done! It's more like rocket fuel, but at the 30 seconds range, it's mellows out and you get more of the CBD and other compounds that are more mellow. Or you hit it hot, cough a lot and then launch off to Jupiter for about a half hour.

Other products I love: topicals, usually a mix of THC and CBD, work great for itches, aches and pains in localized epidermis areas. I have a spray that works great for sore throats. We have some CBD concentrates and pills from a reputable company; it's a pretty mellow pain reliever but works pretty well for arthritis and other symptoms.

Final words of advice: I think this plant has something to offer nearly everyone, given the right set, setting, dose, but it may take you time to find it. Watch the PBS special recently put out; I think it was called the Cannabis Question. Lots of good info on how these compounds work in our systems and how much we know and don't know so far with the research. I think in you struggle to find a benefit from it, you are no alone. Our busy life styles have not given a lot of us time to just sit and do nothing, slow down and really meditate or just exists for more than a few minutes without something interrupting us and our attention. But I can tell you that if you work at trying to find some blocks of time, where you can just truly chill, that's where this plant can really be a great companion. It's a great enhancer of art, music, food and mood. It can cut out a crap ton of brain noise, reduce stress, relieve pain and give your mind some space of it's own to just be you; a little meat bag flying through space on a tiny rock, spinning around an averaged size star. And it can be Fukn amazing!

Disclosure: my psychedelic experiences with MJ are likely overrated or enhanced by the fact that I regularly consume small doses (.1mg) of psilocybin every 2-3 days. Yes, I am a card carrying member of the TDA church here in UT. I do think that this vitamin P molecule is responsible for my dialed up cognition, even when on 30mg + of THC. Have to acknowledge the army of fun guys, they are like the ground crew who help me get that rocket off to space. Take your protein pills and put your helmet on!

Don't know if this helps you or not StealthBish, but it was fun to ramble about.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:54 am

I enjoy 5mg edibles. I'll usually set a stop watch when I take it then look at the time when I start feeling something. Maybe anywhere from half hour to two hours. It varies.

I can still function normally, but.. it's like I see details better, find the humor in things more readily, notice patterns and plots better. Bad movies are worse, good movies are better. Sex is amazing. Let me repeat that... sex with a little thc in my system is more intense, more physically and emotionally pleasurable.

My DW doesn't notice much when she had tried it, so she doesn't wanna do it.

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:38 am

My experience with cannabis is similar to yours, Stealth. I've tried it about half a dozen times and there's just no spark. I do get tired and can see how it could help with sleep. I don't care for a lot of alcohol either. A small glass of wine on occasion is relaxing but I don't need or want anything more.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:31 am

I have also yet to find my groove with cannabis. I have had a wonderful time, however, watching RubinHighlander open up vast new dimensions of his reality over the past few years, and it has inspired me. His weed+spa experience even convinced me to get a hot tub.

When RH talks about 30mg of edibles my eyes roll back into my head and I break out in a cold sweat. 5mg is plenty for me. Vaping can get me to a pretty good place sometimes, but if I go a little too far it gets uncomfortable. One day I ate a brownie he gave me and went to Universal Studio by myself while my wife was at a conference. The Simpsons ride will never be the same.

My overall impression of cannabis is what's the big freakin' deal Mr. Lawmaker?, especially when compared to society's acceptance of alcohol. Followed by anger that the War on Drugs™ has harmed so many people who weren't doing anything that is actually bad. But mostly I am very grateful that it helps so many people.

The main effect it has on me is that it makes me, for whatever reason, want to dance like Ganesha:

I found some renewed interest when someone handed me a brochure with this chart in it: https://utahmarijuana.org/wp-content/up ... ital_F.pdf

Each of those cannabinoids, that can be activated at different temperatures, can be used to alleviate symptoms of different ailments. To me this is exciting. And if you save your already-smoked flower you can smoke it again at a higher temperature to help you get to sleep. There is a lot to learn about this plant, and I look forward to its continued integration into the healthcare system.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:02 am

I'd always heard that his herb was top shelf,
I just couldn't wait to find out for myself.
Don't knock it till you try it,
Well I tried it my friend.
And I'll never smoke weed with Willie (or Rubin) again!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:35 am

Thanks for showing that chart on the compounds Hagoth. I have a similar chart.

I bought an expensive German device a couple years ago that allows for exact temperature settings to cook and vaporized flower and or concentrates.

https://www.storz-bickel.com/en-us/devices/mighty-plus

I like to cook a bowl and start drawing vapors off it starting at around 325, then 350, 375, on up to 420F. I'll hit it once or twice at each one of those ranges to get a full spectrum high and taste more flavors than I would get off burning it with a direct flame. This device is the legal way of consumption for medical MJ, UT does not want you burning it. It is healthier to vape vs burn. Once I've cooked a bowel (small metal container that's packed and placed in a ceramic heating chamber) the left over flower is dark brown and likely still contains some THC compounds that can then be added to food. I save mine up and mix it with tobacco in a big fancy hukkah (this is a whole other experience) that we get out once or twice a year at parties.

I've dropped this device in the spa 3 times now, dried it out and it still works great!

There is a lot more info on YouTube and the web now on the various other compounds, but still a lot of research needed. There is a compound that is now being distilled out into vape carts called THC delta 8 or HHC. It's currently legal and it does get you high, although I'd say it's a step or two below the primary THC A compounds that provides most of the euphoric effects from MJ. So if you want to dabble but don't want to get a card or be illegal, you can pick up HHC at most smoke shops.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE