Would basketball be better if dunks and layups counted 1 point?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
deacon blues

Would basketball be better if dunks and layups counted 1 point?

Post by deacon blues » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:44 pm

Would basketball be better if dunks, layups, close shots counted 1 point? Back when men were men and 3 point shots were an ABA aberration, every basket counted two points. This produced strategy, more passing, and a more team-oriented game. (My view) I hear people complain that the three point shot, while at first it encouraged strategy, has now created the opposite effect in the game. What do you think? should we keep things as they are , go back to two points for every field goal, or what?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

dogbite

Re: Would basketball be better if dunks and layups counted 1 point?

Post by dogbite » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:46 pm

Basketball is the way it is because high scoring games generate more views and engagement with the fans. That means tickets and ad revenue and network sales.

The zone defense was too effective and slowed games down, required players to be too highly skilled to score.

IMHO it's about the money generation, not the quality of the sport.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:46 am

I remember thinking on defense, oh good, coach called a zone, we can rest a little. 8-)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:27 pm

I'm not a huge basketball fan but hasn't the WNBA already initiated a 4 point shot area and isn't the NBA contemplating doing the same?

What do you bball fans think of this? I'm seeing that shot clocks are now a part of most HS games now, depending on the state.

How will a 4 point shot change the game?

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:29 am

Where would they draw the 4 point line? Half Court?

Incidentally, my Grandpa playing for the 1906 Ricks Academy team, a little over a decade after the game was invented. Some times the team had single digit point totals. An typical score: 12-8. :lol:

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:04 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:44 pm
Would basketball be better if dunks, layups, close shots counted 1 point?
At this "point" this wouldn't change anything except the finals score would it?

Players would still score the same number of field-goals. The end result is just a lower score?

Or maybe they would focus more on two point conversions; But sorry, I can't imagine many players passing up a dunk to post up for an extra point... Maybe they are less narcissistic than I imagine?

I probably watch between 1 and 5 popular "sports" games a year so my opinion is probably quite fluffy.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...