Dieter Uchtdorfs coffee pot

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Izhmash

Dieter Uchtdorfs coffee pot

Post by Izhmash » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:16 pm

Being as I never really enjoyed coffee, mostly due to the smell, can someone pull out their Urim and Thummim or perhaps use their gift of discernment and explain exactly what this is sitting on the desk behind Mr. Dorf?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230102-231519_Reddit.jpg
Screenshot_20230102-231519_Reddit.jpg (124.32 KiB) Viewed 1503 times

Cnsl1

Re: Dieter Uchtdorfs coffee pot

Post by Cnsl1 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:56 am

It's a hot water pot for his herbal tea.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:33 am

It's to block out the light so he can more easily see the revelations on his mobile phone.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:37 am

Elder Uchtdorf is no dummy. Like many other Saints, he knows to go into Starbucks wearing a disguise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alpaca/comment ... ng_stroll/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:06 am

To me, it looks like a insulated carafe.

Something like that can be used for both hot and cold beverages. Many coffee shops use similar pictures for cream or half & half. I have seen buffet that will use those for milk or juice. So that pot in the picture could be coffee, milk, water (hot or cold), tea, juice, or any number of other beverages.

Nothing to really get excited over.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Izhmash

Post by Izhmash » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:05 pm

So many moons ago I worked for a contractor who worked on many of the apostles homes. One week we were working on Elder ....... (long since dead) home and we needed some eight penny nails. I was about to run to the store when Elder ....... interrupted and said "come with me, I have a few in my shed." Inside his shed were about 20 empty coffee cans with various nails, screws, bolts etc. When he shut the door of the shed and we were walking away he jokingly said "go ahead and tell anyone you want. They won't believe you anyway."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:35 pm

Well now...

If Dieter's shiny silver water container had that fancy, clear knobby-thingy on top, we might be able to accuse him of having a coffee making device in his office.
Percolator.jpg
Percolator.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 1457 times

But alas... He would just claim it's used for making "herbal" tea. :lol:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:55 am

He should probably consider moving to a milk jug to avoid the appearance of evil.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:11 pm

He stole that from a Lufthansa flight attendants drink cart!

Or possibly a retirement gift from the airline?

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:56 pm

nibbler wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:55 am
He should probably consider moving to a milk jug to avoid the appearance of evil.
Amber, green, and brown all give the appearance of evil.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:17 am

The thermos does not have the black plastic at the bottom, but many electric coffee pots do. And many do not have the percolator bubble on top.

The background the the picture through the window does not look like SLC. The apartment building and other buildings look more like Europe, so good chance this picture was taken years ago in Germany and the coffee pot is a German model and we won’t find the exact picture.

But all that doesn’t say anything about whether or not he drinks coffee. If it was a picture taken in Germany, then most likely it was a pot he kept for visitors so he could offer them a cup as a good host. He is a good host is all this picture proves to me.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:34 pm

alas wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:17 am
The background the the picture through the window does not look like SLC. The apartment building and other buildings look more like Europe, so good chance this picture was taken years ago in Germany and the coffee pot is a German model and we won’t find the exact picture.
That looks like SLC to me. The window behind Dieter faces south. The white-ish roof of the building just above Dieter's head is literally the roof of Kirton | McKonkie - Dieter's legal frim. The building behind K|M™ is a new apartment building - which I'm pretty sure LD$-Inc. owns. The other "tiered" buildings near Dieter's right ear are the food-court at City Creek Center. (Also owned by LD$-Inc.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:09 pm

He's holding a fortune from a fortune cookie, and the little pot is on a tray that was brought to him with the food. It has hot water for the herbal tea, or it is full of herbal tea.

alas

Post by alas » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:38 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:34 pm
alas wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:17 am
That looks like SLC to me. The window behind Dieter faces south. The white-ish roof of the building just above Dieter's head is literally the roof of Kirton | McKonkie - Dieter's legal frim. The building behind K|M™ is a new apartment building - which I'm pretty sure LD$-Inc. owns. The other "tiered" buildings near Dieter's right ear are the food-court at City Creek Center. (Also owned by LD$-Inc.)
Could be. It has been a few years since I did anything but drive through SLC on I-15. I just had never seen an apartment building with that style of balcony in SLC, in fact any tall apartment buildings in downtown SLC, but if it is new that would explain me never seeing it. I used to be really familiar with SLC, and suppose I have missed it—like one misses a tooth ache.

And I suppose that blows the other part of my theory out of the water, too because no one would expect him to offer coffee or anything else in Utah. Mormons just are not courteous that way, no one offers anything at all to guests except a handshake.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:07 am

I'm thinking it's an electric kettle similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Sta ... sonsite-20, for boiling water. Not so common in the US, but very common in Europe and useful for making hot chocolate, herbal tea, instant soup etc.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:24 pm

Regardless, I still cheer Dieter's admission of staying focused with the help of "many liters of a diet soda that shall remain nameless." Funny that it looks like an act of courage to admit to something so tame, and that the church has acknowledged as not in defiance of the Word of Wisdom. And yet, no one else in the Q15 would be human enough to volunteer that information.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."