The Church of Psilomethoxin

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

The Church of Psilomethoxin

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:30 am

Oh no, it's Hagoth talking about psychedelics again.

There's something really interesting going on that I wanted to discuss with y'all. It's called the Church of Psilomethoxin: https://psilomethoxin.com/

There are countless psychedelic churches popping up all over the place. Two of them are particularly interesting to me. The first, which you've already heard too much about from me, is The Divine Assembly. One of the reasons TDA is so fascinating is that it was started by the Utah Legislator who took on the church on the Medical Marijuana issue and completely owned them like no one has ever done, and then turned around and took advantage of their religious freedom interventions to start a new church that defies their authority and belief system in pretty much every way.

The Church of Psilomethoxin is fascinating in many similar ways. It also uses a psychedelic mushroom for a sacrament, but it is one that is completely (so far) legal and can be purchased from them via mail order.

To create psilomethoxin they start with psilocybin mushroom mycelium (controlled substance) and feed it 5-meo-dmt (controlled substance), which it uses as food to grow mushrooms that replace the psilocybin (controlled substance) with an analog of 5-meo-dmt (controlled substance) that is organically modified in a way that makes an edible version of 5-meo-dmt (NOT a controlled substance). Genius. The guy who came up with this process - a lawyer, not a scientist - claimed that he was instructed to do it by an entity he encountered on an ayahuasca trip. He then did some research and found that psilomethoxin had been discovered in the '60s but was too difficult to synthesize, but a biologist back then had suggested growing it in psilocybin mushrooms.

These guys are doing this in a very smart way. Their board consists of:
-the top two lawyers in the field of psychedelic religious rights
-a former Christian fundamentalist pastor turned nondualist universalist. (i.e. a guy who can deliver a powerful message to Christian Americans)
-the rest of the board are all US veterans who have been healed of trauma and suicidal ideation by psychedelics

DMT is often called The Spirit Molecule. It exists endogenously in all living things and has been recently discovered to be manufactured at neurotransmitter levels in human brains.

DMT is used as a psychedelic in two general forms: nn-dmt (derived from plants) and 5-meo-dmt, which gets the moniker "The God Molecule" (extracted from the Sonoran toad). 5-meo-dmt is generally vaped, but now there is an edible form via psilomethoxin. A psychedelic trip usually consists two major aspects: the "tripping" experience, with visuals and all of that stuff, and the "spiritual" experience where people have been finding so much healing. 5-meo-dmt is heavy on the second component, and therefore, so is psilomethoxin.

Another brilliant thing these guys are doing is to center their church around veteran outreach with an emphasis on relieving trauma and reducing the number of suicides. It's kind of hard to demonize that intention, especially when they are having great results.

Anyway, I joined the church for the $55.55 annual membership fee and ordered some of the sacrament.

I will return and report.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: The Church of Psilomethoxin

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:02 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:30 am
I will return and report.
Eagerly awaiting said report. :geek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:41 am

This is a very interesting find Hagoth. So far I like what you shared about this church's premise and their setup. It's good to see more orgs like this that are not so much about preaching prescribed ways of spiritual healing but more about getting to results and safe ways to have a life changing experience. I'm definitely going to look into this one and will return and report.

In the meantime, I keep pushing my boundaries with Mary J, mingled with my fungus, still learning a lot. I've recently added new new more common non-psychoactive fungal types to my daily micro doses: Lions Mane, Reishi and Turkey Tail. The Lion's Mane has a caffeine like focus affect that pairs up well with the morning coffee and 100mg of psilocybin.

Now that I have some medical issues behind me, this year I plan more grand journeys into the cosmos of my mind.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:11 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:41 am
I've recently added new new more common non-psychoactive fungal types to my daily micro doses: Lions Mane, Reishi and Turkey Tail. The Lion's Mane has a caffeine like focus affect that pairs up well with the morning coffee and 100mg of psilocybin.
I have a crop of Lion's Mane colonizing in my basement right now. Hoping to see fruiting bodies soon.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:42 am

Please keep us posted. Sounds like a church I'd like to join

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:19 pm

Interesting…

Is there a sacrament prayer?

Serious question. What was the approval process? I quickly read through that they will approve or deny your application of membership?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:01 pm

I'm still on the fence ATM on signing up, so I haven't looked at the application yet.

The cost is $300/oz for a bag of their dried fungus that contains the magic molecules. This is just a financial decision for me right now, I have lots of other bills to catch up on first. Where the cost is about $10/g, I think that's fair, based on what I know about the time and cost growing fungus and processing DMT. Fungus street prices are around $4 - $7/g (what I've bought in the past before I could grow my own). I have no idea what DMT MEO5 goes for, (not tried that one yet). Natural MEO5 could be pretty pricey because it's sourced from a Sonoran Desert toad, which is a natural resource already on the decline because of demand. MEO5 has since been synthesized, but a lot of the more mystical seekers feel like it must be from the source/toad or it's not the magical experience they want. Vice TV and Hamilton Morris did some good documentary here, available on YouTube, highly recommend watching their videos. Obviously this church does not disclose how they source the MEO5 (either in the lab or milking toads), but likey the more expensive component in the process and getting it into the fungus sounds like it could be tricky. If the MEO5 is added to the growth substrate I also wonder how much DMT gets thrown away or if they have any way to recover what does not get absorbed into the fungus fruit.

I'm not too hung up on whether the MEO5 is synthetic or natural. It's possible there is some entourage effect of the other compounds in the toad venom, but there's just not enough study and data to show anything concrete. I've begun to understand more about cannabis entourage effect in it's big list of compounds. There's definitely differences when they are used together and separately, at least in terms of THCA, CBD, CBG and HHC. Synthetic versions of THC generally get a bad review from stoners. I'd be more open to synthetic DMT with this org; they likely follow good protocol in the lab, both for liability sake and their charter to actually help people have a positive experience. Synthetic psycho-active compounds can be tricky on quality, not knowing how they were sourced and not having a 3rd party lab confirm the ingredients. Fungus and cannabis is a bit easier because you can see what you are getting. Sure there can always be contaminants in the plant, but that's nothing new for us sapes. Just look at the recent litigation over the Simply Orange juice from the Coke brothers (not all natural as advertised). Gov regulation is no guarantee.

Anyway, just a few thoughts as I mill this one around today. Maybe I should just use my HSA card, buy a bag and roll the dice with the IRS? Not right now, I still owe them a big chunk of $$ from 2021.

But as always, IDKSAF - so I'll look to Hagoth as our leading expert here.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:09 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:01 pm
Obviously this church does not disclose how they source the MEO5 (either in the lab or milking toads)
In some of the literature they make it pretty clear that it's synthetic. They even make it a feature: science meets spirituality kind thing. I'm with the people who say if it is the same molecule, it's going to have the same properties. There is no reason to torture toads, in my opinion, because you think that's more natural.

I tried a sample yesterday. I thought I was taking a microdose (one scoop with the little 150mg spoon that they include in the bag). Turns out it's potent stuff. For me this was far beyond a microdose, more like at least a 1/2 gram equivalent of psilocybin. I feel like two of these scoops will be a pretty standard trip for me (everyone's experience and tolerance is different), which means I'll get 100 or so doses out of that ounce at about $3 each. So One ounce is going to last me a long time.

There are a lot of similarities to psilocybin, but also differences. Once the effects had fully manifested I found that I could sit and close my eyes and go into a very deep place. If I got up and moved around, the sensation mostly dissipated and I could do normal everyday stuff. Then when I sat down and closed my eyes again I dropped right back into it. Psilocybin has a strong body load and I have to walk around and do physical stuff for the first hour or so. Psilomethoxin wanted me to sit still and just drift along with it. I have been told that it is less visual than psilocybin but at this low dose it's hard to say. It left a very long and pleasant afterglow, which I'm still feeling the next day. I think 2X this dose will be a good trip for me and enough for it to really manifest the "God molecule" aspects, but I might not get to that until the weather gets pleasant enough to spend days outdoors in natural settings. I plan to slowly ramp up to higher doses until I understand the curve and figure out what the sweet spot is for me. Overall, this looks like something that's going to be a wonderful long term relationship for me.

Another difference is that psilomethoxin supposedly does not have the same threshold effect as psilocybin. It is just as strong if you take it again the next day, and microdosing doesn't decrease your sensitivity to macrodoses. Or so I'm told.

I desire all to partake.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:53 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:09 pm
I desire all to partake.
It is well!
--Douglas Adams