DNC or DGA has elimated presidential debates.

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
SaidNobody

DNC or DGA has elimated presidential debates.

Post by SaidNobody » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:24 pm

So.....

The DNC has picked the last two presidential candidates, despite voters picking someone different. This time, they are removing debate altogether. No talking ideas or looking at records, they are just picking your president.

How do we feel about this? Is anyone concerned about this, or is this cool?

dogbite

Re: DNC or DGA has elimated presidential debates.

Post by dogbite » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:03 pm

This is standard procedure when an incumbent president is the candidate. Int he run up to 2020 direction Trump didn't have to debate any Republican candidates for the Republican presidency nomination.

Yes there are usually some small in-party candidates that make some noise and officially announce even but they don't really get anywhere because they aren't getting the party money and the support from the main interest is in the incumbent because they have so much free publicity.

Remember that parties are the ones that determine how they choose candidates period. It's not about state or national rules or laws or even voting necessarily.

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:16 pm

dogbite wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:03 pm
This is standard procedure when an incumbent president is the candidate. Int he run up to 2020 direction Trump didn't have to debate any Republican candidates for the Republican presidency nomination.

Yes there are usually some small in-party candidates that make some noise and officially announce even but they don't really get anywhere because they aren't getting the party money and the support from the main interest is in the incumbent because they have so much free publicity.

Remember that parties are the ones that determine how they choose candidates period. It's not about state or national rules or laws or even voting necessarily.
Thanks. I thought that could the case. But you are right, a few candidates were complaining about it.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:57 pm

There were active primaries for Democratic Presidential candidates both in 2016 and 2020. The premise of the OP can be debunked by simply looking at Wikipedia (or if you are like me, simply consult your memory). My sons and daughter went for Bernie, while I supported Pete Buttigieg. The combination of young, smart, and honest seem appealing.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:24 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:57 pm
There were active primaries for Democratic Presidential candidates both in 2016 and 2020. The premise of the OP can be debunked by simply looking at Wikipedia (or if you are like me, simply consult your memory). My sons and daughter went for Bernie, while I supported Pete Buttigieg. The combination of young, smart, and honest seem appealing.
Bernie was or would have been, the winner of both of the primaries, or at the least he was winning the early debates. But the party pushed him out.