Jury Duty (the TV show)

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
A New Name

Jury Duty (the TV show)

Post by A New Name » Mon May 01, 2023 2:06 pm

Wife and I watched a funny satire on TV last night. It is called “Jury Duty”. It is on FreeVee, a free streaming channel from Amazon that has a subset of Prime shows, with commercials.
The premise of the show is that they got special permission to film a trial from the Jury’s perspective for a documentary. But the trick is everybody is an actor, except one poor guy who thinks this is a really jury trial. Crazy situations ensue, and the one guy thinks this is all real. They even got James Marsden to play himself on the show. The show runners also did “The Office”, so it has that vibe, but knowing one guy thinks it is all real make it so much funnier.
The Mormon angel happens in episode 4. There is a guy on the jury that does not drink. He looks very Mormon. The Jury is sequestered (because of paparazzi following Marsden), and one night in the hotel room, one of the ladies comes on to Mormon type guy. He asks for help, because he does “not believe in pre-marital sex”. He said the girl recommended “soaking”. “Oh, a loophole” they tell him. So Mormon guy says he needs somebody to jump on the bed while they are soaking. Marsden agrees, the scene that follows is hilarious! Your mileage my vary…….
Is soaking a pure BYU/Mormon thing? I'm sure they had a Mormon writer on the show.

dogbite

Re: Jury Duty (the TV show)

Post by dogbite » Mon May 01, 2023 3:04 pm

It sounds mean spirited to me.

I don't find humor at someone else's expense generally to be funny. I just find it mean.

Chris Rock was wrong to make fun of Jada Smith over a medical condition she has no control over. Not that Will was right to punch him either.

I think the exception is people in positions of power, especially self selected positions of power. Punching up has it's place,

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue May 02, 2023 9:15 am

You sure the guy isn't just acting like he's the only one that isn't in on it but really is. Like it's a plot device to a scripted show more than something that they actually tried. I have a hard time getting around a few things.

If I were to have jury duty I'd have to tell my employer and that would be PTO at the expense of my employer. That and that alone makes me doubt. If they truly lied about summoning a real guy to jury duty an employer could probably sue the producers, right? That and the government could get pretty pissed about something like that.

I guess it's just a premise. Pretend one guy isn't in on it to create comedic moments.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Tue May 02, 2023 10:15 am

Nibbler, the last episode shows the behind the scenes on how they pulled it off, with the reveal to the "mark". He took it all with good humor and had a good laugh.