Good article from the SL tribune

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.

moksha

Re: Good article from the SL tribune

Post by moksha » Sat May 06, 2023 11:04 pm

The strategy to ignore, downplay, or deny instances of harm does not befit the Church of Jesus Christ — we must have a higher, holier ethic of transparency and accountability.
This guy's idealism will put him at odds with the Church. His leaders will tell him to sit down, shut up, and let them get on with their misdeeds. If he still finds himself bursting with goodness, then come join us here at NOM.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: Good article from the SL tribune

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 07, 2023 12:44 pm

To be clear, I truly believe that the upper leadership of the church and the vast majority of people working in advisory roles or serving in local leadership are honorable, decent people trying the best they can to follow Jesus Christ and live His teachings [me: dictate "His teachings" to their advantage]. I’m certain that they abhor child abuse and are committed to following the law [me: ...they abhor child abuse, but not enough to dissuade them from hiding behind the law to protect their image].
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."