Israel

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Angel

Israel

Post by Angel » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:31 pm

Quite a few Christians (and Jews) believe the 2nd coming (1st coming) will happen in Israel - near the contested dome of the rock / temple mount / wailing wall area.

Are Mormons watching the current news too, or is it just everyone else?

Any statement from lds church condemning Hamas or are Mormons trying too hard to partner with Muslims?

https://www.axios.com/local/salt-lake-c ... ciprocated
  • Driving the news: In a survey released this month, the Pew Research Center found Latter-day Saints had the lowest favorability of any religious group and the second-highest unfavorability, behind only evangelicals.

Of all religiously affiliated groups polled, Jews and evangelicals had the least approving views of Latter-day Saints, with -13% and -12% net favorability, respectively.
Why don't Jews like Mormons? Perhaps because Mormons claim to be Jews when they are not? Mormons want to erase Israel - want the messiah to come to America instead?

Mormons helped Hitler track down Jewish genealogies during WW2 -

Mormons have historically partnered with Muslims, https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... day-saints

quite different from other Christian denominations.

The pope and other religious leaders have made statements about what is happening this weekend:
https://wmbdradio.com/2023/10/08/pope-f ... a%20defeat.

Not a word from mormonland. Nothing at the last GC about it? crickets.... for evil to previal, ... what was that quote again about doing nothing, saying nothing, being a bystander?
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cnsl1

Re: Israel

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:14 am

And yet in church today I heard a talk about gathering Israel.

I kid you not. Today.

No mention of the Hamas attack on Israel in church. Not even in a prayer. Just how we gotta get the work of gathering Israel.

Can we not see the how stupid that sounds? Especially right now. Especially when what we mean by gathering Isreal is converting them to Christ. And we wonder why the Jews don't like us.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:37 am

Angel wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:31 pm
Why don't Jews like Mormons? Perhaps because Mormons claim to be Jews when they are not? Mormons want to erase Israel - want the messiah to come to America instead?
It could be related to church members doing proxy baptisms for holocaust victims in the 1990s.

It could also be that Jews hold an unfavorable view for Christianity in general and Mormons tip the scales more than other Christian religions because they'll send people to you home to try to convert you.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:17 am

Angel wrote:
Mormons have historically partnered with Muslims,
They probably admire the unquestioning devotion to ayatollahs and the willingness to die for your faith. They're thinking, damn, how do we get more of that?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:00 am

Oh, but just a few years ago Russel B. was happy to go to Israel and walk were Jesus walked, "standing very near to where He may have stood."
In that same year visiting his dear friend Timmy B., to "learn more about what he had learned regarding Nephi's vision of these early Pilgrims..." Because, ya know, Timmy had a lady friend who could talk to Nephi and all those pretend Jewish immigrants, doomed to kill each other, in the new promised land...somewhere between the great lakes and the panama canal.

The Lord's Handjob: https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... script.pdf

But wait, what happened to the "New Jerusalem" gig in Farr West? Maybe it was really Farr West UT, maybe get worried when they announce a temple there, since MO isn't fashionable anymore.

As far as the old Jerusalem? Well, mormons be the more chosen people anyway; third eye blind, Jebus will sort it out.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:13 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:14 am
And yet in church today I heard a talk about gathering Israel.
Patriarchal blessings - are members disappointed when their ancestry.com DNA results don't match their blessing?

It's like a gringo pretending they invented tacos.

Its like a theater major pretending they wrote Shakespeare's plays.

Be careful what costumes you wear this Halloween kiddos... some cultures don't appreciate those who dress up in another's clothes.

Dressing up in someone else's clothes. Wolves in bloody sheep skins.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:02 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:17 am
Angel wrote:
They probably admire the unquestioning devotion to ayatollahs and the willingness to die for your faith. They're thinking, damn, how do we get more of that?
After Trump works his magic, the Kingdom of Deseret could utilize the tactic of strapping a bomb onto a Saint and having them wander into crowds of gentiles affiliated with the warring New Confederacy, or Cascadia. 72 sister-wives in Spirit Paradise as a reward.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:16 am

Angel wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:13 am

Be careful what costumes you wear this Halloween kiddos... some cultures don't appreciate those who dress up in another's clothes.

Love this!

Sums up the sapient religious and tribalistic bs going back in time to when we started throwing rocks and sticks at each other.

I could be bounded in a taco shell and count my self the king of infinite space!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:52 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:02 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Angel wrote:
After Trump works his magic, the Kingdom of Deseret could utilize the tactic of strapping a bomb onto a Saint and having them wander into crowds of gentiles affiliated with the warring New Confederacy, or Cascadia. 72 sister-wives in Spirit Paradise as a reward.
Mormons and Muslims - both polygamous with polygamous heaven. Both founded by uneducated boy who talk to God and writes a new set of scriptures. Both have funny clothes, both oppress women, no alcohol, authoritarian, get politically involved... hmmmm.

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:56 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:16 am
Angel wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:13 am

Love this!

Sums up the sapient religious and tribalistic bs going back in time to when we started throwing rocks and sticks at each other.

I could be bounded in a taco shell and count my self the king of infinite space!
Lol.

I love tacos.
I love the culture who invented them too.

We celebrate Hispanic heritage month here - had an event that was advertised as including "snacks" for those who attended. Got there, and their version of "snack" was multiple tables piled with all variety of food - it was a feast, not a snack lol.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:39 pm

moksha wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
Angel wrote:
Seriously, Moksha. You have the nerve to drag Trump into this and suggest that he has some role in suicide bombing and terrorism? You are a sick dude. Maybe you should save your jihad bs for your other website over there where you are among proudly anti-semitic pro-Hamas apologists.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:18 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:39 pm
moksha wrote:
[qAfter Trump works his magic, the Kingdom of Deseret could utilize the tactic of strapping a bomb onto a Saint and having them wander into crowds of gentiles affiliated with the warring New Confederacy, or Cascadia. 72 sister-wives in Spirit Paradise as a reward.
Seriously, Moksha. You have the nerve to drag Trump into this and suggest that he has some role in suicide bombing and terrorism? You are a sick dude. Maybe you should save your jihad bullshit for your other website over there where you are among proudly anti-semitic pro-Hamas apologists.
Binger, with careful reading you will see that I am talking about potential events after Trump destroys the United States of America. Hopefully, the courts and the voters will not allow that to happen.

Has Discuss Mormonism given any clue as to whether they will un-ban you?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:54 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:18 pm
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
moksha wrote:
[qAfter Trump works his magic, the Kingdom of Deseret could utilize the tactic of strapping a bomb onto a Saint and having them wander into crowds of gentiles affiliated with the warring New Confederacy, or Cascadia. 72 sister-wives in Spirit Paradise as a reward.
Seriously, Moksha. You have the nerve to drag Trump into this and suggest that he has some role in suicide bombing and terrorism? You are a sick dude. Maybe you should save your jihad bullshit for your other website over there where you are among proudly anti-semitic pro-Hamas apologists.
Binger, with careful reading you will see that I am talking about potential events after Trump destroys the United States of America. Hopefully, the courts and the voters will not allow that to happen.

Has Discuss Mormonism given any clue as to whether they will un-ban you?
No. They do not allow folks like me who dislike your conspiracies, your hatred of Jews, your vaccine huffing, and your terrorist-loving neocon bs.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:07 pm

ME, most of us here at NOM don't read the other forum mentioned and it would be nice if emotions from there didn't spill into this forum. Your angry responses (whether or not that's your intent, it nevertheless comes across that way) are perplexing to the rest of us because we haven't seen the context outside of NOM.
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:54 pm
... your conspiracies, your hatred of Jews, your vaccine huffing, and your terrorist-loving neocon bullshit.
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
You are a sick dude.
As much as you dislike Moksha, I don't see him stooping to direct name calling, and if he did we would call him out for it. He says very negative things about Trump, which you seem to take personally, but as far as I can tell they are not about you. I also don't see what any of this has to do with politicization of vaccines. You are the one who brought that into the conversation out of nowhere, so you seem to be simultaneously calling out and supporting the spreading of conspiracies.

In support of your comments, I also don't see any reason to mention Trump's name here. If/when he pokes his head into the Israel-Hamas horror show, there is another topic where Moksha can respond to that. And maybe me too. I have no love for the dude, but I don't see the need to bring him into this conversation.

Just some friendly third party moderator observations.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:03 pm

Respectfully,
moksha wrote:

That ^^^^^^ is not about Trump. That is about "them" committing atrocities.

And respectfully, Moksha asked about the other board and brought it up. I was responding to his post. And respectfully, every time Moksha or anyone else makes bigoted remarks, such as suggesting that "them" will murder gentiles, I will point it out for the sickening nonsense that it is. Respectfully, of course.

And... this is not angry. Pointing out that Moksha's suggestion that "them" would strap on a bomb and walk into a crowd is sickening - that's just calling balls and strikes.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:26 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:07 pm
In support of your comments, I also don't see any reason to mention Trump's name here. If/when he pokes his head into the Israel-Hamas horror show, there is another topic where Moksha can respond to that. And maybe me too. I have no love for the dude, but I don't see the need to bring him into this conversation.
Hagoth, Trump has been putting out disinformation about the Hamas attack on Israel since it happened. Even Fox disagrees with some of the things he has said.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:55 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:26 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:07 pm
Hagoth, Trump has been putting out disinformation about the Hamas attack on Israel since it happened. Even Fox disagrees with some of the things he has said.
Moksha, you put out disinformation about “them”.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:31 pm

If there is more anti-Semitism, there will be more of this:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dont-hire- ... malertNEWS
If you are a legal employer, when you interview students from Berkeley, Harvard, NYU or any other law school this year, ask them what organizations they belong to. Ask if they support discriminatory bylaws or other acts and resolutions blaming Jews and Israelis for the Hamas massacre. If a student endorses hatred, it isn’t only your right but your duty not to hire him. Do you want your clients represented by someone who condones these monstrous crimes?

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:02 am

I thought those in this group had escaped groupthink mentality - for all of it - would recognize within all groups the same stuff that has caused us to leave LDSinc. Independent, not-affiliated, not following any hierarchy, not putting on anyone's team jersey.

Anyways, I'm struggling right now trying to stay independent, not affiliated, supportive to both sides in this war.

Before the war started, I became involved in a project building a Holocaust memorial. Construction is now close to being complete, and there will be a grand opening ceremony - big event thing with international, national, state & local dignitaries, educational, religious and community leaders Holocaust survivors, liberators, rescuers & their descendants...

I have colleagues and friends in West Bank, and on the other side of this thing too.. How to show support for all in this kind of thing? ugh.