Joseph Smith was so damn tall

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mayan_Elephant

Joseph Smith was so damn tall

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:19 am

In the 1977 film Brigham, Moll (credited as Charles Moll) appeared as Joseph Smith, founder of the Latter Day Saint movement.
Did anyone know that Bull was once Joseph Smith?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/entertai ... index.html
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Red Ryder

Re: Joseph Smith was so damn tall

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:07 pm

Funny story time.

On my mission in California, we had somehow come across one of those small portable TV/VCR combos and took it back to our apartment. We shared an apartment with the Spanish speaking elders who were a bit more serious than we were. So we hid it in our closet. Pretty stupid now that I type this out. Anyway, somehow we ended up with a copy of that movie and watched it in our apartment. The Spanish elders came home early and sat and watched it with us.

About a week later, with the VCR still in the closet, the devil on our shoulder kept calling us to go to Blockbuster Video. My companion was from Oregon and apparently still had his blockbuster card in his wallet. So we went to find a movie. Within 2 minutes of walking in, we run into the Bishop’s wife of the ward we were assigned to. She catches eyes with us and before we could duck out says “Hey Elders! What are you doing here?” My companion quickly thinking on his feet says “we’re looking for that movie where Bull from Night Court plays Joseph Smith!” She looked at us like we were crazy! So we asked the video store clerk if they had it. They did and he points us to where it’s sitting on the shelf. Surprised, she decided to rent it. That Sunday, the Bishop came up to us and said “great movie recommendation elders!”

We never went back to Blockbuster after that.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:36 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:07 pm
Funny story time.

On my mission in California, we had somehow come across one of those small portable TV/VCR combos and took it back to our apartment. We shared an apartment with the Spanish speaking elders who were a bit more serious than we were. So we hid it in our closet. Pretty stupid now that I type this out. Anyway, somehow we ended up with a copy of that movie and watched it in our apartment. The Spanish elders came home early and sat and watched it with us.

About a week later, with the VCR still in the closet, the devil on our shoulder kept calling us to go to Blockbuster Video. My companion was from Oregon and apparently still had his blockbuster card in his wallet. So we went to find a movie. Within 2 minutes of walking in, we run into the Bishop’s wife of the ward we were assigned to. She catches eyes with us and before we could duck out says “Hey Elders! What are you doing here?” My companion quickly thinking on his feet says “we’re looking for that movie where Bull from Night Court plays Joseph Smith!” She looked at us like we were crazy! So we asked the video store clerk if they had it. They did and he points us to where it’s sitting on the shelf. Surprised, she decided to rent it. That Sunday, the Bishop came up to us and said “great movie recommendation elders!”

We never went back to Blockbuster after that.
That is absolute legend. That wins!
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:19 am

But the best Joseph Smith of all time had to be Vincent Price in the 1940 Brigham Young movie. Also, pretty damn tall. 6' 4"

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:10 pm

Still waiting for Jack Black to play Brigham Young.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha