How America Has Been Let Down By The Republicans

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mayan_Elephant

Re: How America Has Been Let Down By The Republicans

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:09 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:05 pm
no further "discussion" necessary.
So, they were not imprisoned for opposing Trump, you do not believe the article you linked to is true, and indeed, no further "discussion" is necessary. Pierre Delecto Perfecto.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:20 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:09 pm
wtfluff wrote:
So, they were not imprisoned for opposing Trump, you do not believe the article you linked to is true, and indeed, no further "discussion" is necessary. Pierre Delecto Perfecto.

As usual, your reading comprehension skills are lacking.
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:36 pm
The single article I posted as an example is a tiny snippet.
If you're unaware of what happened, Google is your friend.

Oh wait, never-mind. Your constant, defense of Cheeto the Clown has convinced me that he is in fact God.

Case closed.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:00 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:20 pm
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:09 pm
wtfluff wrote:

As usual, your reading comprehension skills are lacking.
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:36 pm
The single article I posted as an example is a tiny snippet.
If you're unaware of what happened, Google is your friend.

Oh wait, never-mind. Your constant, defense of Cheeto the Clown has convinced me that he is in fact God.

Case closed.
I am not defending anyone. I am pointing out the process. This started with the suggestion that Trump said he would imprison any who opposed him. That turned out to be bullshit but has since been followed by more unfounded accusations. Now, when pressed for evidence of these unfounded claims it is suggested that I go search for the evidence on google, LOL.

All I am asking is that the evidence be provided. If you cant do that, there is no case to close.

Faith and a testimony of things not seen is cliche on an exmormon board. The time is now yours.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions.
I am asking the questions and not taking the conspiracies at face value.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:11 am

I don't follow political shit closely, but I thought for sure Trump called for the heads of those who opposed him during all that Jan 6th debacle that played out for us on national television. Now, "called for their heads" is maybe not the right description and I don't remember the exact words he used but the net effect very likely put the lives of Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi in danger. Trump's power and influence was so great that he had a good number of legislative folks defending him in what seemed to be a pretty damned indefensible position.

I tried to like the guy, as I've said before, and I paid pretty close attention to a lot of what he said, esp during that time when most of us had to stay home or wear masks everywhere we went. He said, in my opinion, some very asinine things. He created conflict when none appeared intended. He instigated and fomented chaos with what seemed to be the intent to further his brand and/or just make himself look better or save face. At times the press called him on his BS, but not always. I thought they often played along with his BS and did most of the pot stirring for him. He'd completely miss the point and say something ridiculous and they would play along with the ridiculous part and fail to check if what he said actually made any sense.

One very clear example of this occurred early in the pandemic when he was touting his accomplishments in getting a navy
hospital ship to NYC and increased production of the special masks now needed in places like NYC. He trotted out some guys from a company who made the masks and had them speak to the media. In the course of the conversation with the media the guys indicated that they had usually been making x number of masks/ month for NY hospitals and now they were making 10x more (I can't remember the numbers). It seemed very clear they were saying hey we're doing our best, they usually only need this many and now we realize they need way more so we're upping our production the best we can and we're sending them more. Good job, guys. Thank you.

Then Trump gets back up and says to the effect, "did you hear that? Did you hear what they said? They're sending 10x masks/ month to NYC. I don't know where they're at. How come Cuomo isn't getting them to the hospitals? "

The guys he trotted up there looked a bit confused, but rather than say no no, that's not what we said at all, they let it roll and the press ran with it and contacted Cuomo who said Idk WTH Trump is talking about, we're sending all the masks we get to the hospitals. And for a very brief period there was a rumor that folks opposing Trump were actually letting people die by not providing masks they had stock piled just to make Trump look bad.

And I was thinking whoa whoa, that isn't what those guys said at all. Trump is creating conflict unnecessarily.

Had I only known what was to come.

And I know he's not the first and won't be the last politician to do that, but he seems to take it to a new level, imo. This is one reason he scares me. And I think he's really damaged the Republican party. Maybe, in the long run, this is a good thing and will set up a situation where a third party has legitimate chance. Now seems like a good time. I'd sure like another option.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:13 am

Had a good time reading your posts, back and forth, jousting away. I like it. Makes this forum worth reading.

Don't feel like commenting here other than to say that any thinking person knows- knows, that Trump is probably everything he appears to be, and the list of bad things is long. The good things....I struggle to come up with much. Why anyone would care to defend him, let alone re-elect him is beyond me. Worse than anything else- he's old. Time to push him down the proverbial stairs and get a replacement.

On the other hand, we have the far left....good grief.

Most of us land somewhere in the middle, but the media isn't interested in our story. So where do we get to the truth? Media? Podcasts? "If we post it, it is true". Maybe. Maybe not. So, the stuff that used to back up claims in this tread...sorry. They are produced by those who desire to get their own perspective across, so they aren't worth much, at least to me.

For not commenting, I've written a lot. What I'm trying to say here is this: I like to hear all of your opinions, I really do, but I think we should leave it to that and not dredge up something posted somewhere to back up a claim. They may be true, but it does not mean they are.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:16 am

Gatorbait wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:13 am
Had a good time reading your posts, back and forth, jousting away. I like it. Makes this forum worth reading.

Don't feel like commenting here other than to say that any thinking person knows- knows, that Trump is probably everything he appears to be, and the list of bad things is long. The good things....I struggle to come up with much. Why anyone would care to defend him, let alone re-elect him is beyond me. Worse than anything else- he's old. Time to push him down the proverbial stairs and get a replacement.

On the other hand, we have the far left....good grief.

Most of us land somewhere in the middle, but the media isn't interested in our story. So where do we get to the truth? Media? Podcasts? "If we post it, it is true". Maybe. Maybe not. So, the stuff that used to back up claims in this tread...sorry. They are produced by those who desire to get their own perspective across, so they aren't worth much, at least to me.

For not commenting, I've written a lot. What I'm trying to say here is this: I like to hear all of your opinions, I really do, but I think we should leave it to that and not dredge up something posted somewhere to back up a claim. They may be true, but it does not mean they are.
This is interesting.

Some of it I agree with.

The folks in the middle arent very useful. Dont take that personally. I am just talking about numbers here. The political middle swing voter is not relevant in any ballot counting contest or formula any more.

It is easier to turn out the rabid fringe than to please people with common sense and jobs. Thus, shit like “Trump will imprison any” comments are let loose and google-faith prevails.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:25 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:11 am
The guys he trotted up there looked a bit confused, but rather than say no no, that's not what we said at all, they let it roll and the press ran with it and contacted Cuomo who said Idk WTH Trump is talking about, we're sending all the masks we get to the hospitals. And for a very brief period there was a rumor that folks opposing Trump were actually letting people die by not providing masks they had stock piled just to make Trump look bad.
Which Cuomo? The first one to get fired or the second one to get fired?

The pandemic was a travesty of people behaving poorly.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:16 pm

However Trump has demonstrated disregard for anyone who disagrees with his views. He's demonstrated disregard for immigrants, people of color, LGBTQ, women, Christians, Muslims, Jews, veterans and other groups.

Christian dis
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... rs/616522/
Immigrant dis
"not sending their best people", "rapists" etc. Sure, you can find specific instances in low counts for these, but these are broad generalizaions. If you don't remember these quotes, you can certainly find them from his first campaign.

muslim dis
Ban all muslim immgrants
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... ed-states/

LGBTQ dis
His actions towards trans in the military in his term. Now this
https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7bd9z/trump-anti-trans
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/do ... ride-month

Jewish dis
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/17/politics ... index.html

He's advocated a large concentration camp system for various categories of immigrants. This is current news. If you're ignorant of it, that's on you.

He doesn't care about people's rights with whom he disagrees. I demonstrated this in my earlier quotes, with non-loyal purge, and so on. You're just being ignorant to claim it's a new claim.

He's expressed views about coming for people who disagree with him.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/0 ... t-00109944

I find all those views abhorrent and rather unAmerican.

That these are new claims to you is ridiculous. Where have you been since 2015. Or even in this thread?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:27 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:00 pm
I am not defending anyone.
Haha. Ok. :roll:

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
All I am asking is that the evidence be provided.
If you didn't see any red flags as to Crump's behavior in the article I posted, then It's a complete waste of time for me to "provide" any further evidence. In fact: Typing this out is a complete waste of time. Maybe I'll improve my typing skillz? (Doubtful.)

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Faith and a testimony of things not seen is cliche on an exmormon board. The time is now yours.
I Testify that the Elephant will keep on trollin'.

In that I have Faith.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:36 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:59 pm
Was it a federal courthouse? Were they arrested for breaking shit or opposing Trump?
None of the above.

But as others have mentioned in other parts of the thread, you have your mormon-elephantine blinders on, no further "discussion" necessary.
what was the reason for the arrests? Or, should I resort to faith for an explanation?

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:14 pm

https://x.com/stillgray/status/1726343854587359312?s=20

^ that parody reminds me of this parody.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:28 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote: ↑Fri Nov 17, 2023, 11:00 pm
Watch mainstream (rather than that crazy made-up Trump stuff) news and you will see the same stories as everyone else.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:01 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:28 pm
Watch mainstream (rather than that crazy made-up Trump stuff) news and you will see the same stories as everyone else.
That's the best joke you have made yet, moksie. Mainstream news. Oh boy. I am not asking for propaganda. I want evidence.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:32 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:27 pm

In that I have Faith.
No so much trolling as just enjoying to argue, I think. I have a feeling that if everyone here was praising Trump he would still find fault. Am I right, ME?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:34 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:01 pm
moksha wrote:
That's the best joke you have made yet, moksie. Mainstream news. Oh boy. I am not asking for propaganda. I want evidence.
Then listen to the BBC.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:02 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:34 pm
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:01 pm
moksha wrote:

Then listen to the BBC.
Oh, man. You too? See, I am not making the claim, I am challenging the claim for lack of evidence. I listened to ESPN radio today, didn't sound fascist at all. They sure seemed disappointed with the way football is being played.

But, here is another guy that says we can choose fascism: "Filmmaker and activist Rob Reiner joins MSNBC’s Ari Melber on “The Beat” to discuss the intersection of comedy and politics as the 2024 election quickly approaches. Reiner says the election is a decision between “fascism” or “248 years of self-rule.”

From what I can gather about this fella Reiner. I think he wants fascism. Hard to know for sure.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:03 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:32 pm
wtfluff wrote:

In that I have Faith.
No so much trolling as just enjoying to argue, I think. I have a feeling that if everyone here was praising Trump he would still find fault. Am I right, ME?
Trollin'...

Arguin'... (Just to argue...)

Pretty much the same.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:12 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:32 pm
wtfluff wrote:

In that I have Faith.
Probably so, brother. Probably so. I like addressing the process and challenging the faithish claims. I am not a huge Trump fan. I am a fan of populism for sure. That fascinates me on many many many levels. Trump sucked at managing his own DOJ and staff. He is not, in my opinion, a centered person. He is a POS, definitively. Though he also seems to be more of a due-north selfish person who only cares about shit selectively.

Think about it like this, if it helps---

Person A says: "Trump will hang everyone who disagrees with him by a moose, goose, or loose noose."
ME responds: "Uh.... really? The evidence does not support your claim, but let's explore this topic a bit further, since the claim says a metricshitton more about you, Person A."

I am not trolling here at NOM. That accusation is pure and absolute projection. I promise you that. I don't mind being trolled though, I accept the challenge. I type fast.