The Church of Climate Change in these Latter Days

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mayan_Elephant

Re: The Church of Climate Change in these Latter Days

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:37 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:33 pm

About toilets, though. I replaced my toilets with the highest efficiency ones and guess what? One flush still does the job for me. If Trump requires ten or fifteen flushes to get his sh*t to go down he has much bigger problems than eagles and windmills, and we should cherish him while we still have him because he's a very unhealthy man and his days are numbered. This topic makes no sense to me. It sounds like whining for the sake of whining. I hear a lot of accusations of liberal people being snowflakes but come on, what is more snowflakish than having an arbitrary minimum of gallons-per-second hitting your skin when you take a shower? (wink, tounge/cheek) And why is it more macho or patriotic to believe that? And who should we blame when we're in Texas and the water pressure is lower because it comes from a tower instead of a mountain reservoir?

If they design better toilets now than they did 80 years ago why not go with something that is more efficient instead of being a luddite about it and insisting that the old, less efficient ones must be better cause it was good enough for my granddaddy? And while I'm at it, you damn kids get off my lawn!!

People like Trump want to make it political, but it doesn't need to be. I'm not talking about promoting energy efficient toilets, I'm just talking about using a better product because the engineering has evolved. Why does Trump hate that idea? I dunno. Why does he love coal?
Well played on the Trump dump.

The whining is not about the gallons or water pressure. When given choices or conditions, people must accept or reject the conditions. This is universally true. Rejecting non-credible or unfair conditions is not whining.

I would make one challenge to you in this conversation and topic. As best you can, if you are interested, make your arguments without using Trump, his followers or his beliefs. I will try and do the same. This, like many other issues, can be about the issue and not about what someone you do not like thinks about the issue.

To get to Denny's to meet you, I will drive by some massive homes and some smaller old homes. If we meet in SLC I will drive by some 8-10,000 sf homes on small lots. When some yahoo with a massive ass home with floor to ceiling windows facing West tells me that the ocean is warming up and we need to reduce our reliance on petrochemicals, fossil fuels and coal - what do you expect me to do? If someone who shops at Whole Foods and is a member of the wine of the month club tells tells me that they believe registration on all diesel powered vehicles that do not use DEF should be tripled in 2024 and outright banned in 2028, for the environment of course, what should I do?

My point is not that low flow toilet and shower technology is bad. The technology is great. But the mandate is bad and I like high flow showers. I am not alone. If someone thinks that they know so much that they can make a law about the flow of showers - they can piss off. That is not a credible argument at all. And certainly, do not bring that argument to me if you live in something other than a 2+1 in a multi-tenant building that is completely off the grid and does not use propane.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”