Why Killer Whales Don't Eat Twinkies

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Dirty Bird

Why Killer Whales Don't Eat Twinkies

Post by Dirty Bird » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:58 am

A little more than twenty years ago, my wife and I took our kids to the nearby zoo. For some reason, I became very interested in what the people who work at the zoo feed the animals. I asked at least six workers about animal nutrition, and none of them knew anything about it. Finally, one of them put me in touch with a nice woman who works on the zoo's animal nutrition team. I asked the nutritionists how worried they were about giving the animals a natural food. It really wanted to know if the food they were giving the animals was similar to what the animals would eat in the wild or if they were making up a diet that was not natural, like how people feed their dogs and cats at home. She said that most zoos and animal sanctuaries do their best to feed their animals only natural foods. In some cases, they even fly in fresh meat or leafy veggies for the animals. For instance, the lions at this zoo mostly eat innards and bone-and-muscle meat that has been ground up. In the wild, lions only eat every three or four days. At the zoo, they were fed every 18 hours or so, and the times were changed often so the lions wouldn't get stressed out when they thought it was time to eat.

While I was walking around the zoo and looking at all the animals that didn't seem to be overweight or underweight, I realized that people do care about other living things and will take the time to care for them when they depend on us for their survival. So I started to notice all the fat people walking around looking at the animals. Suddenly, it was like a light bulb went off in my head: we research what animals eat so we can take care of them in captivity, but we don't discipline our own kids and loved ones when they make bad food choices, and we never look into what we should be eating besides all the crap in the middle aisles. Yes, most of us will spend $50 on a 10-pound bag of dog food while giving our kids 40-cent Twizzlers so they won't complain about being hungry and will go play on the computer in their room.

That's when I started researching. After many months of study, I found that before the agricultural revolution, a normal human diet consisted of a lot of meat (including organ meat), eggs, a lot of fats (including saturated fats), and a minimal amount of vegetables, grasses, and fruits. Our bodies used that as a food source for hundreds of thousands of years. The above-mentioned foods are the best for our bodies to break down for energy. On the other hand, foods high in sugar and wheat products are not as good for our bodies. It is thought that many diseases people get are caused by their pancreas, liver, and bowels working ten times harder than they need to because we feed them things that are harder for them to break down.

I began eating like our ancestors did many years before the carnivore diet became famous and the Atkins diet was frowned upon. This changed my life more than anything else has ever done. At first, all I ate were meat and eggs. After a few weeks, I added cheese because it doesn't have any sugar. Then I started adding small amounts of veggies and fruits. It was clear right away that something had changed because my body wasn't working as hard to break down the food I was eating. My mood was much better, my heart was calmer, I could think more clearly, and best of all, I wasn't hungry in between meals.

My long-time doctor retired years ago, and he and tthree new doctors have told me the same thing. That all of my tests are fine except for my total cholesterol and that I will die of a heart attack if I don't start taking statins and change what I eat. It got so bad that one young doctor got angry with me because I wouldn't take statins and eat the way he told me to. I told him he wasn't talking sense and that people who eat a natural human diet should have high cholesterol. I also told him he should stop depending on the crap he learned in medical school and start practicing medicine like a real doctor.

The natural food of humans is as easy to understand as the diet of any animal you watch for a short time, whether it's a lion, a cow, a gorilla, or any other animal. But for some reason, over the last few hundred years, we've thought too much about what humans should eat and have been so brainwashed into thinking that meat is bad that 99% of us don't understand that we are meant to eat the very thing that most doctors say we should eat less of. People have made saturated fat look bad, but it's actually one of our main sources of energy and makes us feel full for hours.

It's possible to make your life better by eating a lot of protein and fat, especially saturated fat. People's lives can change in ways they never thought possible if they fast for anywhere from 12 to 48 hours once or twice a week. In the same way that a zookeeper would know that a killer whale that is fed twinkies and Swiss cake rolls is probably less happy and healthy than one that is fed fatty fish, I'm saying the same thing about humans. As much as MDs and PhDs try to tell you otherwise, it's not hard. People who seem to be the smartest in a room aren't always the smartest. Certainly, this is the case when it comes to a normal human diet. Anyone disagree?

Mayan_Elephant

Re: Why Killer Whales Don't Eat Twinkies

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:02 pm

Dirty Bird wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:58 am
A little more than twenty years ago, my wife and I took our kids to the nearby zoo. For some reason, I became very interested in what the people who work at the zoo feed the animals. I asked at least six workers about animal nutrition, and none of them knew anything about it. Finally, one of them put me in touch with a nice woman who works on the zoo's animal nutrition team. I asked the nutritionists how worried they were about giving the animals a natural food. It really wanted to know if the food they were giving the animals was similar to what the animals would eat in the wild or if they were making up a diet that was not natural, like how people feed their dogs and cats at home. She said that most zoos and animal sanctuaries do their best to feed their animals only natural foods. In some cases, they even fly in fresh meat or leafy veggies for the animals. For instance, the lions at this zoo mostly eat innards and bone-and-muscle meat that has been ground up. In the wild, lions only eat every three or four days. At the zoo, they were fed every 18 hours or so, and the times were changed often so the lions wouldn't get stressed out when they thought it was time to eat.

While I was walking around the zoo and looking at all the animals that didn't seem to be overweight or underweight, I realized that people do care about other living things and will take the time to care for them when they depend on us for their survival. So I started to notice all the fat people walking around looking at the animals. Suddenly, it was like a light bulb went off in my head: we research what animals eat so we can take care of them in captivity, but we don't discipline our own kids and loved ones when they make bad food choices, and we never look into what we should be eating besides all the crap in the middle aisles. Yes, most of us will spend $50 on a 10-pound bag of dog food while giving our kids 40-cent Twizzlers so they won't complain about being hungry and will go play on the computer in their room.

That's when I started researching. After many months of study, I found that before the agricultural revolution, a normal human diet consisted of a lot of meat (including organ meat), eggs, a lot of fats (including saturated fats), and a minimal amount of vegetables, grasses, and fruits. Our bodies used that as a food source for hundreds of thousands of years. The above-mentioned foods are the best for our bodies to break down for energy. On the other hand, foods high in sugar and wheat products are not as good for our bodies. It is thought that many diseases people get are caused by their pancreas, liver, and bowels working ten times harder than they need to because we feed them things that are harder for them to break down.

I began eating like our ancestors did many years before the carnivore diet became famous and the Atkins diet was frowned upon. This changed my life more than anything else has ever done. At first, all I ate were meat and eggs. After a few weeks, I added cheese because it doesn't have any sugar. Then I started adding small amounts of veggies and fruits. It was clear right away that something had changed because my body wasn't working as hard to break down the food I was eating. My mood was much better, my heart was calmer, I could think more clearly, and best of all, I wasn't hungry in between meals.

My long-time doctor retired years ago, and he and tthree new doctors have told me the same thing. That all of my tests are fine except for my total cholesterol and that I will die of a heart attack if I don't start taking statins and change what I eat. It got so bad that one young doctor got angry with me because I wouldn't take statins and eat the way he told me to. I told him he wasn't talking sense and that people who eat a natural human diet should have high cholesterol. I also told him he should stop depending on the crap he learned in medical school and start practicing medicine like a real doctor.

The natural food of humans is as easy to understand as the diet of any animal you watch for a short time, whether it's a lion, a cow, a gorilla, or any other animal. But for some reason, over the last few hundred years, we've thought too much about what humans should eat and have been so brainwashed into thinking that meat is bad that 99% of us don't understand that we are meant to eat the very thing that most doctors say we should eat less of. People have made saturated fat look bad, but it's actually one of our main sources of energy and makes us feel full for hours.

It's possible to make your life better by eating a lot of protein and fat, especially saturated fat. People's lives can change in ways they never thought possible if they fast for anywhere from 12 to 48 hours once or twice a week. In the same way that a zookeeper would know that a killer whale that is fed twinkies and Swiss cake rolls is probably less happy and healthy than one that is fed fatty fish, I'm saying the same thing about humans. As much as MDs and PhDs try to tell you otherwise, it's not hard. People who seem to be the smartest in a room aren't always the smartest. Certainly, this is the case when it comes to a normal human diet. Anyone disagree?
Bears can be baited with donuts. I think it may even be legal in some states.

Believe it or not, I read your post twice. It has been that kind of a day. There is a glitch or omission in your post that has my attention piqued. Food is a commodity. Food is business. Like others, IDKSAF when it comes to calories, fats, and sugar. I like cigars, they don't have any of those things, I don't think. I do know business and growth models. It seems to me that the propaganda machine has found an operator on both sides of your argument. On the one side, we have food advertising and propaganda - and - on the other side we have diet propaganda.

I see similar polarities in health, medicine and pharma. Take Ozempic, for example. Clearly not being an obese FF is a good idea, but damn. Seems like the benefit was oversold a bit and the risk was undersold.

I think that having more gluten-free and vegetarian diets is great. I think attaching some moral ideology to what one eats is silliness. But even with that..... even that seems to have two sides to it. As a recovering alcoholic (10+perfect years), I respect whatever the hell people need or choose to be healthy. If it is god, higher power, word of wisdom, wiccan stripper songs, and that helps a person make a better decision - GREAT!!!!! But for me to pretend that my ideology is the one true ideology would be ridiculous. If I had to participate in AA, I would rather be a practicing alcoholic. It does not work for me. If an AA adherent told me that my sobriety was less real or insincere, that would be goofy. I would be a jerk to think that AA's process is wrong just because it is wrong for me.

So.... tl;dr..... if you like to eat stuff, great. If you don't like stuff, great. Nonemybusiness, frankly.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:39 pm

“Mayan_Elephant wrote: I see similar polarities in health, medicine and pharma. Take Ozempic, for example. Clearly not being an obese FF is a good idea, but damn. Seems like the benefit was oversold a bit and the risk was undersold.
Continue please.

Close family member has been taking this to lose 20 lbs for cosmetic reasons. No health issues. I’m curious as to your opinion on the risks undersold. They’ve experienced side effects beyond the typical gastro ones like slow down, vomit, diarrhea, etc. more like neurological ticks and some weird distressed nerve glitches. Seems crazy to endure for 20lbs that exercise and better diet could control. But nonetheless they love it because it takes the cravings and food noise on their head away.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:57 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:39 pm
“Mayan_Elephant wrote: I see similar polarities in health, medicine and pharma. Take Ozempic, for example. Clearly not being an obese FF is a good idea, but damn. Seems like the benefit was oversold a bit and the risk was undersold.
Continue please.

Close family member has been taking this to lose 20 lbs for cosmetic reasons. No health issues. I’m curious as to your opinion on the risks undersold. They’ve experienced side effects beyond the typical gastro ones like slow down, vomit, diarrhea, etc. more like neurological ticks and some weird distressed nerve glitches. Seems crazy to endure for 20lbs that exercise and better diet could control. But nonetheless they love it because it takes the cravings and food noise on their head away.
I had a close family member spend 16 days in ICU and 8 days on full life support. He was defibrillated 120 times. Thats not a typo. He was training for a body building expo and taking Ozempic, among other things. His career is derailed because of this.

I do not know all the pharma elements and will never understand the ozempic patent. I know this - F ozempic and F the doc who prescribed it. My point is that motives of the corporation may not align with the risk for the individual. I think the same thing about diet promotors.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:15 pm

OK, let's state the obvious fact here:

If Killer Whales had access to eat Twinkies, Killer Whales would eat Twinkies.

That is all I have to type about the subject, besides:
Tallahassee wrote:There is a box of Twinkies in there. And not just any Twinkies, but the last box of Twinkies in the whole universe. And believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date, and pretty soon, life's little Twinkie gauge is going to go...empty.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:03 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:15 pm

Tallahassee wrote:There is a box of Twinkies in there. And not just any Twinkies, but the last box of Twinkies in the whole universe. And believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date, and pretty soon, life's little Twinkie gauge is going to go...empty.
Would Dirty Bird eat an orca?

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:23 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:39 pm
Close family member has been taking this to lose 20 lbs for cosmetic reasons. No health issues.
Ozempic is a drug intended to help Type 2 diabetics get their blood sugar in order. When overused for other purposes the side effects can skyrocket and it will be overused just as sure as a bulimic will hover around the toilet bowl.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:46 am

Nonemybusiness, frankly
Vegetarianism is a luxury diet that will make our youth fatter and less healthy, especially mentally. Being a vegetarian is a treat. In other words, many of the Facts that vegetarians eat come from all over the world and are shipped to them such as avocados, olive oils.

People can eat almost all animals on Earth, but only 23% of plants. And most of those 23% of plants are not healthy at all.

It is "noneofMEbusiness" what other people eat, right? When should it become your business? If your child was 400 pounds and very unhappy because food was getting in the way of his health, would you do everything you could to help?

If your wife was perfectly thin but had terrible bouts of depression that never went away, and she was tired of life, what would you do? She tried many medicines, different types of therapy, yoga, and lifting weights to see if that would help, but nothing worked. So many people suffer with depression and other mood disorders because of what they eat. Sugars that have been refined make almost every part of our bodies swell up, even the brain. Our bodies have to work harder when we eat refined sugar. One of the first perks of switching from junk food to saturated fats is that it can help with joint pain and headaches. You'll feel the benefits in just a few days. I've seen dozens of people with joint pain and bad headaches get a lot better after just one week on a high-fat, low-sugar diet. But when doctors and therapists try to help people who are depressed, they almost never talk about food. Neuroinflammation is a real thing that no one hardly talks about even though in my opinion it's one of the main reasons of depression and suicide. Skinny people suffer from inflammation just as much as fat people do. Instead, of starting with changes in diet, doctors suggest a pill, which half the time doesn't work an includes multiple side effects that are often worse than the problem trying to be cured.

It's not my business if you don't want to talk about it. You're an American, so do what you want. But do you suffer from any joint pain, would you even think about changing up your normal diet to a high fat diet for a week to see if it could help you?

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:49 am

wtfluff wrote:

With this very clear and observant post, you perfectly described what my slightly silly thread title meant. You are completely right when you say that most of the animals we keep in cages would eat anything we give them if they could get complex carbohydrate foods like twinkies. That's the meaning behind the thread title. People don't give zoo animals junk food because we want to feel good about the way we treat the animals we chain up.

That's the question. Why do we treat animals better than our kids? If we humans go to a zoo to watch the animals and saw that the zookeeper fed the koala bears twinkies instead of eucalyptus leaves, most of us would complain to the zoo that they were being very cheap and not caring about the animals' health by feeding them something they wouldn't eat in the wild. It would be all over the news, people would be angry, the zoo would get death threats, and people would stop going to the zoo. But the same people who whined about the koala eating Twinkies would honestly say it's "noneofmybusiness" if they saw a gym full of overweight teens eating Twinkies.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:37 am

wtfluff wrote:

Also moon pies.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:58 am

Dirty Bird,

I’ll take your challenge and switch up my diet based on your recommendations. I feel I eat fairly normal for an American with moderate servings and moderate sugars. My biggest problem is lunch during my corporate work hour. I sit 80% or my work day behind a computer and step out daily with coworkers for lunch. Typically have a soda with lunch. Coke or Dr. Pepper. The diet stuff tastes like poo poo so regular soda it is. Im. It much of a cookies or cake type of guy. More like ice cream on occasion and candy occasionally. I probably get more of my sugar intake from all the sugars loaded into sauces, breads, etc but the soda could also be more than I need. I do run high on cholesterol numbers which is hereditary. Longevity 100+ years old runs in my dads side of the family. Cancer hasn’t been a family issue other than father had prostrate cancer that was removed.

So help me with your challenge. Give me a few resources or sample diets to switch it up. I’ll commit to no sodas or sugary drinks for a week and report my progress here. I’m interested in the inflammation reduction primary to alleviate low back pain from a herniated disc that flares up occasionally.
Dirty Bird wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:49 am
One of the first perks of switching from junk food to saturated fats is that it can help with joint pain and headaches. You'll feel the benefits in just a few days. I've seen dozens of people with joint pain and bad headaches get a lot better after just one week on a high-fat, low-sugar diet.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:01 am

ME,

Run that orca pic through Bing again but substitute moon pies for apostles in suits.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:30 am

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:37 am
wtfluff wrote:

Also moon pies.

{cute orca image}
But never Snoballs. NEVER!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:58 am

Dirty Bird wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:46 am
People can eat almost all animals on Earth, but only 23% of plants. And most of those 23% of plants are not healthy at all.
Plants help us poop. That takes on increasing significance as we get older. Did you know that prune juice is a warrior's drink and that kale is nasty but can soften the impact of cheddar cheese?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:25 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:58 am
Dirty Bird,

I’ll take your challenge and switch up my diet based on your recommendations. I feel I eat fairly normal for an American with moderate servings and moderate sugars. My biggest problem is lunch during my corporate work hour. I sit 80% or my work day behind a computer and step out daily with coworkers for lunch. Typically have a soda with lunch. Coke or Dr. Pepper. The diet stuff tastes like poo poo so regular soda it is. Im. It much of a cookies or cake type of guy. More like ice cream on occasion and candy occasionally. I probably get more of my sugar intake from all the sugars loaded into sauces, breads, etc but the soda could also be more than I need. I do run high on cholesterol numbers which is hereditary. Longevity 100+ years old runs in my dads side of the family. Cancer hasn’t been a family issue other than father had prostrate cancer that was removed.

So help me with your challenge. Give me a few resources or sample diets to switch it up. I’ll commit to no sodas or sugary drinks for a week and report my progress here. I’m interested in the inflammation reduction primary to alleviate low back pain from a herniated disc that flares up occasionally.
Dirty Bird wrote:
One of the first perks of switching from junk food to saturated fats is that it can help with joint pain and headaches. You'll feel the benefits in just a few days. I've seen dozens of people with joint pain and bad headaches get a lot better after just one week on a high-fat, low-sugar diet.
Wow. That was impressive. Nicely done you two.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:39 am

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:41 am

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:46 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Dirty Bird,

I’ll take your challenge and switch up my diet based on your recommendations. I feel I eat fairly normal for an American with moderate servings and moderate sugars. My biggest problem is lunch during my corporate work hour. I sit 80% or my Ii work day behind a computer and step out daily with coworkers for lunch. Typically have a soda with lunch. Coke or Dr. Pepper. The diet stuff tastes like poo poo so regular soda it is. Im. It much of a cookies or cake type of guy. More like ice cream on occasion and candy occasionally. I probably get more of my sugar intake from all the sugars loaded into sauces, breads, etc but the soda could also be more than I need. I do run high on cholesterol numbers which is hereditary. Longevity 100+ years old runs in my dads side of the family. Cancer hasn’t been a family issue other than father had prostrate cancer that was removed.

Dirty Bird wrote:
During Thanksgiving this year, I finally understood how fat my whole family is, which is why I started this thread. I mean, I knew that bad food information has been passed down through my family for generations. But Thanksgiving was at my house this year, and most of my older uncles and aunts have gained too much weight in the last five years or so. A lot of talk about food came up, especially in the kitchen when my aunts were looking for brown sugar, confectionery sugar, skim milk, or vegetable oil. That kind of thing isn't in our pantry. There's no orange juice from the store, soda, chips, or cookies. My wife and I have given up almost all those foods in the last twenty years. These days, we don't even use seed oils including olive oil. When we cook, we use butter and beef tallow. I understand my way of eating seems really hardcore, but my goal is to live life happily and not have to rely on having my wife wipe my ass when I'm old because I ruined my health with a terrible diet.

That doesn't mean that someone who wants to try a high-fat diet has to be as strict as I am, though. Olive oil and other seed oils are fine. The important thing is to stay away from foods that are high in sugar. If you think that eating meat, eggs, and cheese for a week would be too boring, you can add some fruits and vegetables.

I'll put up some links for you to check out today. But today, if I were to start a high-fat diet to see if it helped with joint pain, this is what I would do. The first and most important thing is to start on a day when you will have two or three days off in case you start projectile vomiting from your butthole. I'm being serious! 🤣There is a very good chance that you will be throwing up from your butthole if you go from eating a lot of sugar to fat for fuel. Second, you should always have Excedrin migraine pills or Goodys powder on hand for caffeine headaches if you drink a lot of soda and are hooked on caffeine. Headaches from caffeine are the worst, and most people give up within 48 hours because they can't handle having no caffeine. These two things make it hard to follow this diet. After that, if you really want to get the most out of your diet in a short amount of time, stick to eating eggs, cheese, and any ruminant animal. You can also eat fish, shellfish, and pork. All of them can be grilled, fried in butter, or cooked any other way you like.

You can add more fruits and vegetables if that's too strict, but try to keep the amount of them pretty low if you want to see if your joint pain lessen. It's fine to have coffee with heavy cream or butter. Green tea and herbal teas are fine. It's okay to eat raw milk and raw yogurt.

Here's what I would eat for the first few days if money is of no concern. For breakfast or lunch the first few days, I would have a big steak with goat cheese and lots of butter. For my second meal, I would have the same thing. The next day, have another steak with cheese, eggs, and butter. For a change of pace, have a big piece of salmon with lots of butter and cheese for your second meal. You can snack on bacon during the day if you get hungry. Go to a barbecue restaurant and get a bunch of burnt ends to snack on during the day. Choose cheap cuts or ground beef instead of ribeyes if you don't want to spend a lot of money. By some Costco ground lamb to try it.. Eat two Costco chickens every day if money is tight.

Before you start, you should really pay attention to how your body feels. Write down where and how much you hurt. You can compare your pains after 7 or 8 days. But keep in mind that, based on your age and gut health, you might not notice a big difference for 7 to 10 days. However, most healthy people start to feel better after 3 to 5 days.

And don't do this diet if you're diabetic. And so you can't sue me just in case you F this shxx up! I would suggest you talk with a health professional before starting any new diet and most definitely don't take health advice from some idiot on the internet who is stupid enough to call himself a dirty bird. 😁 Good luck and I'll be posting some links.

https://youtu.be/iattSxMI9SY?si=4S0g7ZIqu3SPK_Y1

https://youtu.be/NY3NNBqScMQ?si=i2baRk9pb_RGQEtU

Kicking Ass After 50 https://a.co/d/5Jz95Ea

Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever (Bulletproof, 5) https://a.co/d/7FOr7cd

Joint pain

https://youtu.be/yPjX1T5tAqA?si=YY6Beel7pV9J9CdS

Neurosurgeon explaining back pain

https://youtu.be/izDAnWIbCBY?si=TzUCDEdcbRfJ8J5x

If you're interested in not eating a carnivore diet, here's a great book .

Eat Like a Human: Nourishing Foods and Ancient Ways of Cooking to Revolutionize Your Health https://a.co/d/b33QLYe
Last edited by Dirty Bird on Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:00 pm

Dirty Bird wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:46 am
I would suggest you talk with a health professional before starting any new diet and most definitely don't take health advice from some idiot on the internet who is stupid enough to call himself a dirty bird. 😁 Good luck and I'll be posting some links.
I am enjoying the hell out of this thread, oddly.

I approve of the above point. I lined up a whole lot of health professionals before I quit drinking. Based on my alcohol consumption, any reduction could have been considered a change in diet. The part of that process that stood out to me the most was the interest the docs had. I reached out to different docs, cardiologists and GI and psychodudes and a few others. I even had this doc helping me that had been the primary physician at the free clinic in Haight Ashbury during the AIDS epidemic of the 80's and 90's. He had moved on to other things. While all this may seem like overkill.... my dad died during alcohol withdrawal. So there is that.

Anyways. I really liked the interest these docs had in doing something before it was too late. That was a blast. It gave me a whole new perspective on things. Please carry on.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:02 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
I’m interested in the inflammation reduction primary to alleviate low back pain from a herniated disc that flares up occasionally.
I've been working on reducing my sugar intake. I love Coke and DP, but I've cut way back on those to just a couple times per month. As a regular dancer partner with Mary Jane, that was not easy!

Inflammation: I've had arthritis starting to lock up the ends of my fingers and toes starting about five years ago. To reduce inflammation, increase cognition and boost the immune system, I started taking a daily supplement of funguses. It's a powder supplement I add to my protein shake each morning; it includes Lions Mane, Reishi, Cordyceps, Chaga, Turkey Tail & Maitake. I also add a dash (about .1g) of psilocybe cubensis, this one is cognition but has also helped with pain reduction and increases "spirituality" (Yup, that's right, I'm taking that word back from the corporate cult and I own it for me now, a full card carrying member of the Divine Assembly). I think it's the Lions Mane and Turkey Tail that are providing the primary benefits for the inflammation; I've rarely notice any pain and aches this past year, compared to before. I think Fresh Caps is the brand if you are interested.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE