Why Killer Whales Don't Eat Twinkies

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mayan_Elephant

Re: Why Killer Whales Don't Eat Twinkies

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:00 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:50 am
Study showing correlation btwn obesity and SES but not race:

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/chi.2015.0029

Also "publication bias" in meta-analysis, as you surely already know, just means that there is some error that must be allowed because of the possibility that studies not meeting their hypotheses may have a lesser chance of being published. It does not invalidate the data, but is one problem in meta analysis. There are debated methods to quantify pub bias; I was going to but decided not to look at how that meta study quantified their publication bias. It's nearly impossible to quantify imo, esp when there are not a lot of studies on the topic. Plus, you're looking at different studies that are trying to look at the same thing, but not exactly the same thing. Better, imo, is to replicate the studies, but those are harder to publish when your study finds the same thing, which is an argument often not considered when talking about publication bias. So, bottom line, this isn't a smoking gun for THIS type of study. You already know this, though, if you understand statistics.

Based on my relatively quick search, it seems there is enough data that supports a negative correlation btwn income and obesity such that it should be part of the conversation.
Thank you. I get a lot of things wrong.

Great post.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:29 am

hmb wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:24 am
I ferment cabbage, which costs $1.40 a head, into a product that is essentially equivalent to yogurt in terms of the amount of prebiotics it contains.
Three cheers for kimchi. It tastes good and is good for you.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:18 am

hmb wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:24 am
Dirty Bird wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:33 am
hmb wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:28 am

It IS far more expensive to eat healthy. It partly depends on what someone considers healthy. Last week, in Walmart, I was looking at bread. A loaf of whole grain bread was $5.89. A loaf of processed bread was $2.50. When I bake bread, it is a lot more money, and work, to make healthier, whole grain bread than white bread. Check out the price of fake OJ compared to fresh OJ. If you buy and squeeze your own oranges, that costs more yet. You want farm fresh eggs vs. Walmarts eggs? (I don't have a problem with store eggs, but some consider it less healthy.) Now go price produce compared to "bargain" junk snacks. You want healthy yogurt? Try buying yogurt that actually has living cultures for that health benefit. I buy the cheap yogurt. It is a nice end of meal treat. It's really just glorified pudding. There is a huge difference in cost for healthy products. It's not just cost though. It's about convenience too. It takes effort to cook that cheaper bag of rice and legumes, than to visit the convenient, prepared frozen food section. I do eat more processed food than I should. Little frozen pizzas are often less than $1.50. I add bran to the melted cheese and sauce so I'll be sure to not get constipated (cheese is more binding than friendship). Use of poop aids have risen with the onslaught of convenience eating. I also question poor people being fatter than rich people. I see a lot more overweight youth and children than years ago. It doesn't seem to matter if they come from wealth or poverty. When families sit around and play on phones and computers, while ordering door dash, it's no wonder fat cells are exploding.
Although I agree with a lot of what you have mentioned here, I do not agree with the statement that it is more expensive to eat healthily in the United States.

But first, allow me to explain the reasons behind my feelings. When compared to other commodities, such as rice, bread is a poor investment when viewed by weight. This is especially true when compared to rice. A loaf of bread typically weighs one pound and costs approximately five dollars. I am able to get a bag of rice that weighs fifty pounds for approximately thirty-five dollars, which implies that the price of rice per pound is approximately seventy-five cents.

I could save money by purchasing broccoli sprout seeds for the price of twenty-two dollars, and the bag would be sufficient for my wife and me to consume for a period of four months. Broccoli would be 6 times that.

I ferment cabbage, which costs $1.40 a head, into a product that is essentially equivalent to yogurt in terms of the amount of prebiotics it contains.

Fortunately, in the United States of America, Sam's Club and Costco both sell rotisserie chickens weighing 3.5 pounds for the price of $5. In addition, when one takes into account the nutrients that are obtained from eating eggs, they are not overly expensive.

As far as eating is concerned, the most significant issue that we are facing in the United States right now is not that we are undernourished; rather, we are most certainly overnurished. Far too much food is consumed by us. A method of dealing with stress that has grown commonplace is stuffing our faces. In addition, we have become accustomed to having thousands of options to choose from when it comes to the food that we want to consume. People who are completely clueless about what they should purchase find it extremely stressful to walk into a grocery shop.

It is possible to maintain a healthy lifestyle by consuming only a small number of foods. Meats, eggs, cabbage, sprouts, cheese, raw yogurt, raw milk, and blueberries are the most important foods for me to consume. It's safe to say that meat makes up approximately 90 percent of my diet. On the other hand, if I were in a dire financial situation, I would not think twice about returning to rice and beans, along with chicken from Costco, as my source of protein.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but the way you eat requires time, thinking, and preparation. I'm not going to ferment cabbage, sprout seeds, make my own raw yogurt (you can buy it for $$), pay the price of raw milk... Is your big bag of rice brown? Or are you buying a big bag of white rice which lacks some of the healthiest parts? I use brown, but it requires twice the cooking time. Not saying that's bad, but it's an additional "inconvenience" compared to stopping at Panda. If all you eat is rice and beans, that can be healthy, but add produce and dairy, and meat to the mix and it's more expensive. The cost and convenience make it difficult to eat healthy on the cheap. I suppose with a lot of thought and time it can be done, but then the easy/convenient is out the window. How dull to have to eat the same rice and beans over and over to be healthy.
I can appreciate why you believe that eating healthily has the potential to cost more money, but in my experience, it actually costs a lot less money. In the first place, consuming a diet that is high in fat and protein means that your body requires less food in order to function properly. You feel full for a longer period of time, which means you don't have to consume as much food. if one eats in the same manner that our ancestors did, which is the way that our internal organs want us to eat, then fasting once a week is an excellent strategy to assist in flushing out some of the cells that are not desirable. Autophagy is a process that causes cells in the body to eliminate and recycle any components that are deemed superfluous or damaged. Never in my life have I come across a person who is fat who is aware of autophagy, let alone one who is eager to experiment with fasting. 99 percent of people who are thin will not even consider fasting because the majority of them find it uncomfortable. When you fast for twenty-four to thirty-six hours, you save money, don't you think?

That being said, I believe that the ease of fast food has led to Americans being overnourished to the point that the majority of our health problems are the result of our bodies being overworked as a result of trying to break down and process such a large quantity of food. Another misconception that the majority of medical professionals have is that we ought to be pooping at least once a day. If you have to poop once a day, you are eating too much and consuming junk food that your body is unable to use as a source of energy. Poop should be produced every four to five days if you are following a perfectly natural and clean human diet that enables your body to break down and use the majority of the food that you consume. I can have between one pound and one and a half pounds of meat on a daily basis, along with a small amount of fruit and sprouts, and I will only have to poop once every five days or so. Nothing ever happens to me that causes me to feel bloated or constipated. There is a lot of food in, yet there is not much waist out. My sister-in-law is a vegan. However, in order to receive the nutrients that her body requires, she has to consume a lot of food, which results in her having a lot of poop. Approximately twice a day, she has bowel movements. That's expensive 😁

Because the majority of proteins derived from plants are incomplete, a vegan must consume a combination of plant-based foods in order to obtain all of the amino acids that are necessary for their body to operate properly. Extracting fat from plant-based foods is the same thing. The fact that vegans have to consume more food in order to obtain the same quantity of nutrients as meat eaters means that they will have a significantly larger pile of poop. Eating a diet consisting of meat and fasting at the same time is therefore more cost-effective than driving to a fast food drive-through every day. Thoughts?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:19 pm

Return & Report:

Last week I drank one soda at lunch. A Coke Zero.

Exercised on the bike for combined total of 85 minutes.

Goal: continue above and increase exercise minutes.

Result: feel better from effort. Body and legs a bit sore.

Now to the this part:
Poop should be produced every four to five days if you are following a perfectly natural and clean human diet that enables your body to break down and use the majority of the food that you consume. I can have between one pound and one and a half pounds of meat on a daily basis, along with a small amount of fruit and sprouts, and I will only have to poop once every five days or so.
Huh?? I’m not even going to try and calculate a poop per day per pound of meat eaten ratio.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:12 pm

It has been my subjective experience that moderation and balance works best for me.

I've tried vegetarian. I've tried the keto type diet. I've done some paleo. I didn't feel any were neccessarily the panacea of health. Also, I'm pretty sure our early ancestors ate a lot of plants. Plants are easier to catch than bison. They definitely ate meat, but they also ate plants.

What works for me is lot of plants, meat, and when I eat grains, hopefully it's whole grain. Lots of water. No soda. A little alcohol. Very limited processed foods and sweets. Lots of exercise. Not a lot of dairy. Foods with one ingredient. When I do this, I feel better and Poops are also better. It's a possibly disgusting topic and maybe TMI, but it's a pretty great feeling dumping a healthy load that comes out with that perfect not-too-hard, not-too-soft consistency and leaves your body with nary a trace. Sure saves on toilet paper too.

I believe intermittent fasting can be good, esp if you're trying to lose some weight, but I personally don't like it. I have a high metabolism and seem to burn through calories in a hurry. I gotta stay fueled. As I get older and my metabolism has slowed, fasting is something I'll consider.

I feel we have a health crisis in the US, and it probably relates to not only HOW we eat, but what we eat, and the lack of quality in the foods that what we think are good for us. I go back to the huge difference between local grass fed beef compared to corn-fed feed lot beef. It costs more, for sure, but in the long run probably costs me less.

And I still maintain that it costs significantly more money and takes significantly more time to eat healthy quality food than it does to eat low quality, lower nutritional food.

Beans and rice are cheap. Yep. Been there, eaten that. It works. And I love beans. But it'll tear you up eventually.. least it does me. Wrecks my bowel movements. And rice isn't bad on the tummy but it will fatten you up.

That's my 2 cents, which gratefully I can afford. My lunch today was a whole grain Dave's everything bagel with smashed avocado, bacon, and spinach as a sandwich. Really good. And not cheap, but honestly based on what I'm hearing about the price of fast food, probably cheaper than a whopper meal.

So.. I could be wrong. Heh

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:49 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:12 pm

And I still maintain that it costs significantly more money and takes significantly more time to eat healthy quality food than it does to eat low quality, lower nutritional food.
I have agreed and disagreed with this. I have questioned it at times. At this point or in this moment, I am agreeing with you, cnsl1.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”