Psychedelics in the Beehive conference

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

Psychedelics in the Beehive conference

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:50 am

Paul Stamets, who you might know from the Fantastic Fungi documentary, will be the keynote speaker at the Psychedelics in the Beehive conference this Friday at the Grand America Hotel. Paul is a mycologist and one of the biggest names in psychedelics. If you're interested in psychedelics and their fascinating place in Zion, or looking for personal therapeutic services, this is the place to be. I went last year and was amazed that about a third of the participants were mental health professionals. And, of course, almost everyone there is or was Mormon. Interesting stuff is happening, folks.

https://psychedelicsinthebeehive.org/register

Conference tickets are normally $100, but if you use the sacred token MUSHLOVE50 you'll get in for $50.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Re: Psychedelics in the Beehive conference

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:36 pm

Sounds interesting.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:36 pm
Sounds interesting.
It was. It sold out the huge ballroom at the SLC Grand America. By the raise of hands it was about 75-80% ex/post/inactive Mormon and about 5-10% active Mormon.

Last week I had lunch with a guy who is an active believing Mormon who had reached the end of his rope with treatment resistant depression. Finally, after getting approval from his Elders Quorum President, his Bishop, and his Stake President, he found a psychedelic therapist and did a psilocybin session. It relieved his depression and changed his life so dramatically he is now planning to become a certified therapist himself and offer free therapy to Mormons-only.

For whatever reason, Mormons seem to resonate with this realm more than most groups, once they get past the War on Drugs stigma. At some point I suppose the church is going to have to take a stand one way or the other. I hope they don't, and just trust people to be grown up enough to look out for their own wellbeing. But considering that they are still sending members to Visions of Glory therapists (a friend of mine was referred to Thom Harrison's network just last week) that's probably wishful thinking.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:29 am

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing, Hagoth. I wish I lived close enough to attend.

It will be interesting if or how "the brethren" will respond to questions about psilocybin. Surely they've been asked already. Lord knows that many Mormons will not make any kind of a hard decision on their own without asking for counsel. I knew a couple who asked their bishop whether or not they should have more kids.

Anyway, my guess would be that the church will respond as they did with questions about cannabis: If prescribed by a medical doctor, it's acceptable. Which is a nice and deflective way to say, sorry kids. You can't get a real prescription for it since it's federally illegal. Still, that did leave open a possibility, or at least the pretense of a possibility, and it's probably the safest answer they could have given and still hold true to the articles of faith.

Someone might say, well I heard about a guy in Utah who got approval from his EQ pres, Bishop, and stake president to use psilocybin, but their bishop and stake pres might be a little more hard nosed. I think eventually the church will have to come out and make a statement, and it'll probably arrive quietly like the cannabis statement, and might be ignored by some of the more liberal saints but held tightly by the majority.

Many don't realize that Nelson made a statement about green tea. A few years back there was some chatter about maybe opening up coffee as an acceptable Mormon beverage but that was shot down hard taking green tea with it. I knew some folks who felt they had to repent after that. And I know several faithful TBMs who don't read the labels closely and are consuming green tea guilt free on a regular basis. I'm not gonna tell them.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:19 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:29 am
A few years back there was some chatter about maybe opening up coffee as an acceptable Mormon beverage but that was shot down hard taking green tea with it. I knew some folks who felt they had to repent after that.
Green tea is probably the healthiest thing you could possibly put in your body. Too bad it's evil.

Meanwhile, shops are popping up all over Utah where you can buy sodas with additional sugar added, because they're just not sweet enough I guess, and the energy drinks continue to fly off the shelves.

Psilocybin is about as toxic and addictive as skim milk.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:34 am

:lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:15 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:34 pm
But considering that they are still sending members to Visions of Glory therapists (a friend of mine was referred to Thom Harrison's network just last week) that's probably wishful thinking.
If the Church had some means of controlling the psychedelic visions to the point that it was assured of regular tithing deposits into its investment account, I think the Brethren would heartily endorse the psychedelic therapy.

The tithing must flow.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:35 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:19 pm
Psilocybin is about as toxic and addictive as skim milk.
:shock: :lol:

Thanks again for reaching out, Hagoth. I'm so glad I went. It was really interesting. The part I enjoyed the most was at the very end when Stamets shared his most meaningful (or whatever) journey. I was just blown away. Any idea if they recorded that or not?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:32 pm

Hermey wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:35 am
Any idea if they recorded that or not?
I think they did. My friend Chad had cameras set up and told me he had been tasked with video recordings. I guess keep and eye on thedivineassembly.org for updates. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:45 am

Looks like you can find the recording here:

https://www.youtube.com/@TheDivineAssembly

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:18 am

Ghost wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:45 am

Yessss!! Hearing his account of that journey was the highlight of the evening for me. Glad I hadn't left early.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:35 am

Ghost wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:45 am

Thanks for sharing that, Ghost!