The Ridiculous Future

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Give It Time

The Ridiculous Future

Post by Give It Time » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:30 pm

I heard Avantage if quote, today. Unfortunately, I can only paraphrase.
In predicting the future, the thought must first be considered ridiculous.
There are so many so many changes and advances in society that, frequently, just twenty years before they happened, the very notion would have been ridiculous.

I remember in the late 1980s listening to a talk show where one of the guests was floating the idea that Arnold Schwarzenegger wanted to be President. I don't think Schwarzenegger will become President. I think his time as governor killed that, but it became apparent that the man did have political aspirations.

I've seen California newspapers from the 1960s with a young Ronald Reagan's political aspirations being a regular feature.

I recently saw a newspaper article from the 1990s. It was stating that Donald Trump had decided he wouldn't be running for President, at this time.

I remember talking to a co-worker some twenty-five years ago. She had spent her weekend in the lovely seaside town of Monterey, California. What had she done in that lovely town on a weekend when the weather was sublime? She stayed inside and listened to lectures from about technology, education and design. I thought she was nuts! A couple of decades later, I learn about this phenomenon called TED and that it got its start in the lovely seaside town of Monterey, California.

I'm fresh out of ridiculous ideas, but the thought gives me hope.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Re: The Ridiculous Future

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

One of the hardest points in determining the future is technology and the changes that technology will bring. Some things that will not change are human aspirations and failings. Even though Shakespeare*** did not foresee Twitter, he never the less predicted the coming of Trump when he said, "Send in the clowns".

***(if not Shakespeare, at least Stephen Sondheim).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:23 pm

I have a friend who finds the Trump administration hilarious, as do I. I sometimes think the comedians voted for Trump, because what the Trump administration is doing, you just can't invent. Problem is it's not a comedy sketch. It's real.

On technology, I once heard Steve Jobs speak. So much of his speech was just stream of consciousness ramblings of his ideas. It was kind of cool, kind of freaky and, yes, ridiculous. That speech is part of why I wrote the quote, but I can't remember any of the ideas Mr. Jobs had. Only that they started off cool, veered off in to freaky, made a left at odd and took a nose dive into either ridiculous or frightening. He would smirk at the fact that he got a reaction. Interesting man.

At any rate, I'm beginning to tune into ideas that seem ridiculous to me. Who knows? Perhaps in twenty years...
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

well wandered

Post by well wandered » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:51 am

Self-driving cars sounds ridiculous to me. They don't seem safer or more convenient. But I saw last year (an article bouncing around on Facebook) the idea that kids born today may never have to manually drive.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am

I'm wondering what ridiculous changes in society, politics, and technology will finally pull the LDS church into the 21st century. Or at least into the last decade or two of the 20th century.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am
I'm wondering what ridiculous changes in society, politics, and technology will finally pull the LDS church into the 21st century. Or at least into the last decade or two of the 20th century.
Secularism and live streaming sacrament meetings via Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.

Bring your own sacrament nuptials.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 am
Corsair wrote:
Secularism and live streaming sacrament meetings via Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.

Nuptials or victuals (vittles)?

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 am
Corsair wrote:

Nuptials or victuals (vittles)?
Definitely nuptials.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:23 pm

If victuals is pronounced "vittles", is nuptials pronounced "nuttles"? And can you say "nuttles" on here?