This I Believe

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Nlloydj

This I Believe

Post by Nlloydj » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:22 am

I believe in God, the father, the mother, the daughter, the son, and the Holy Spirit.

I believe in the divinity of all churches, philosophies, and beliefs that promote goodness and sanctification.

I believe in prophets and their special relationship to God, and their humanity, gifts and vulnerabilities.

I believe in all scriptures from all faiths, books from all perspectives, words and deeds from all of my brothers and sisters promoting unconditional love, unconditional acceptance and unconditional respect.

I believe in the power of one soul touching another soul in compassion, service and love as evidence that God prevails in the hearts of mankind.

Corsair

Re: This I Believe

Post by Corsair » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:11 pm

That's a pretty good list. Is there anything that you definitively don't believe. I'm not trying to mock you. Your beliefs are really broad and I was only curious if you maintain some opposition to any specific beliefs.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Nlloydj wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:22 am
I believe in God, the father, the mother, the daughter, the son, and the Holy Spirit.

I believe in the divinity of all churches, philosophies, and beliefs that promote goodness and sanctification.

I believe in prophets and their special relationship to God, and their humanity, gifts and vulnerabilities.

I believe in all scriptures from all faiths, books from all perspectives, words and deeds from all of my brothers and sisters promoting unconditional love, unconditional acceptance and unconditional respect.

I believe in the power of one soul touching another soul in compassion, service and love as evidence that God prevails in the hearts of mankind.
I am curious where you came up with the idea of “the father, the mother, the daughter, the son, and the Holy Spirit.”

I came across that idea in an encyclopedia of Jewish beliefs, the only place I have ever found mention of a daughter being part of the Godhead. Several volume set, and I can’t remember the exact name of it, but it said that the ancient Hebrews believed the Godhead was made up of Father (translated into English as Jehovah) the Mother (translated into English as Wisdom, so she would be the Goddess of Knowledge or Wisdom) the son (the anointed Savior) and the daughter (her role and name is lost over time). I had a question I didn’t find the answer to in that encyclopedia as to was the Holy Spirit the same as Wisdom, or another female deity known as the Comforter or Holy Spirit, the Shekanah. But there are different opinions in the literature that is available as to is Mother in Heaven the ancient Goddess known as Wisdom, or the Goddess who was a fertility Goddess who was worshipped in the Bible as Ashera? My son took an archeology of the Holy Land class and learned that there are inscription in old buildings of worship that identified Ashera as God Jehovah’s wife or consort (wife of lower status)

What I believe.

God is more of a hands off God than most Christian religions give Him credit for being. I just don’t see evidence that he messes in human affairs beyond maybe imparting knowledge or giving comfort. God is in all things, sort of a pantheistic or Buddhist belief. We are part of that God, as we become one with all things. I believe in Christ as the being who helps us become one with God, but it has little to do with paying a price to the Father for our sins. I just don’t think the Father needs someone to atone for our sins. We humans need it, not the Father, so He pays the debt for our sin to whomever we sinned against. So, very much not BKP’s concept of a debt to God being paid as ransom, because God’s love for us in unconditional and not lacking. God needs no price to be paid in order to love those he created. If there is a father God, then by definition there will be an equal mother God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:27 pm

I believe in gravity. :mrgreen:

I believe in logic, reason, skepticism, and critical thinking.

I believe in Occam's Razor.

I believe in science / the scientific method.

I believe that my Goddess is Lakshmi, as prophesied in my MoPag-Stolic Blessing. I don't believe Lakshmi actually exists, but I like thinking of her now and then anyway.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

The Beauty of Gray