Redefining Gospel Terms

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Newme

Re: Redefining Gospel Terms

Post by Newme » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:08 am
Newme wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 am
Who knows, but what seems obvious (at least to me) is that Jesus was highly influenced by Buddhist teachings.
We can almost see a pair of Buddhist missionaries arriving in Nazareth, hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus, dressed in saffron robes and sporting missionary haircuts. They ask the Nazarenes, "What do you know about the Buddha and would you like to know more?" Before the villagers could answer, the missionaries tell them, "Do not answer, just imagine the sound of one hand clapping".
:lol: I love you, Moksha! Where do you come up with these ideas?
Reminds me of heaven. A guy was taking newbies on a tour - he'd take them to various groups - including music, shouting and dancing with the Pentacostals, and they left the view of that room, though they could still hear partying but he said, "Sh..." One of the newbies said, "Why, who's here?" He answered, "The Mormons, and they think they're the only ones here."

I think Buddha said something like, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" because Buddha (kingdom of God) is within - not external.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 am

Newme wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 am
Where do you come up with these ideas?
Not sure exactly, but if you are into the video games Skyrim and Fallout 4 here is a possibility:
Sometimes you don't have to go far to talk religion. A likely scenario for a religious discussion could happen just about any Saturday afternoon when you are hanging around your pad in Diamond City just chillin' and knocking back a Gwinnett's Stout, when you hear a knock at the door and find two young men holding a Book of Talos and asking, "What do you know about Joseph Heimskr and would you like to learn more?" You look puzzled and ask, "What is it about?" By then one of the young men has put his foot in the door and explains, "It's all about great battles and how a savior was sent by Talos to save us from Alduin the World-Eater". You want to hear more so you invite them in and have them sit on the Vault-tec sofa to explain more about the story long suppressed by the synths of the Aldmeri Dominion. A month later you are slated to be baptized in the Sea of Ghosts off the pier near the Old North Church in Boston.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Newme

Post by Newme » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 am
Newme wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 am
Where do you come up with these ideas?
Not sure exactly, but if you are into the video games Skyrim and Fallout 4 here is a possibility:
Sometimes you don't have to go far to talk religion. A likely scenario for a religious discussion could happen just about any Saturday afternoon when you are hanging around your pad in Diamond City just chillin' and knocking back a Gwinnett's Stout, when you hear a knock at the door and find two young men holding a Book of Talos and asking, "What do you know about Joseph Heimskr and would you like to learn more?" You look puzzled and ask, "What is it about?" By then one of the young men has put his foot in the door and explains, "It's all about great battles and how a savior was sent by Talos to save us from Alduin the World-Eater". You want to hear more so you invite them in and have them sit on the Vault-tec sofa to explain more about the story long suppressed by the synths of the Aldmeri Dominion. A month later you are slated to be baptized in the Sea of Ghosts off the pier near the Old North Church in Boston.
:lol: Scary look deep into the depths of your soul! :lol:
I like how you present things just tweeking them a bit, so that it's hilarious - but it's actually just another perspective of truth, which is probably why it's so funny.
(Leave it to me to analyze humor.)

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:47 pm

I see the conversation has moved on, but I want to add to the gospel terms definition list anyway. I heard this on a Bill Reel podcast recently.

Sustain: besides meaning to support, it also means to endure, as in "to sustain an injury". I can usually endure the calling of any person, as long as it isn't me, or sometimes dh. This definition can certainly be used to get honestly through the TR questions.

Newme

Post by Newme » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Nonny wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:47 pm
I see the conversation has moved on, but I want to add to the gospel terms definition list anyway. I heard this on a Bill Reel podcast recently.

Sustain: besides meaning to support, it also means to endure, as in "to sustain an injury". I can usually endure the calling of any person, as long as it isn't me, or sometimes dh. This definition can certainly be used to get honestly through the TR questions.
Thanks. For some, that could help.
Too bad leader worship is such a part of the church that people are punished if they don't follow suit (speaking of personal experience).