Redefining Gospel Terms

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Newme

Redefining Gospel Terms

Post by Newme » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 am

One thing that has helped me is redefining gospel terms. When I've really focused on reinterpreting words, it has turned some otherwise annoying church meetings/lessons into inspiring experiences. Once, it even brought tears to my eyes - I was so moved. My TBM sister looked at me like I was crazy with tears for a lesson that didn't seem so significant. :)

Anointed: been blessed, especially by God
Apostate: Name calling, ad-hominem attack used by those unaware they’re in a cult
Baptism: Beautiful symbolic ritual to remind us of our spiritual and physical births, and rebirths
Celestial: Christ-like
Choose The Right: Do God’s will above all
Commandments: scripture/socially learned… and spiritual personal circumstantial
Covenants with God: Covenants with LOVE
Family: Those we love and are connected with – ultimately the entire world
Jesus Christ: Christ is not Jesus’ last name, but what he became and encouraged us to follow him and become
Kingdom of God: Spiritual connection with God within us
Last Days: Heaven’s Reward Fallacy; pretending that Jesus will save us externally, when God saves us internally
Lord’s Side or not: All-or-Nothing thinking is “you’re either on the Lord’s side or you’re not.” Truth is we’re mixed, depending on the circumstances.
Love/Charity: Appreciating what is while striving for what is best – through trial and error – active faith.
Marriage: Between a man and a woman, like a blueprint of intent to grow together in relating. A relat ionship is as good as the relating.
Priesthood: Godly power, which all have to some degree
Repent: Correct one’s thinking and related emotions and behavior – turning to God
Sin/Evil: Incorrect thought and related e-motions & behavior (evil: persistent attempt to shift responsibility and make others pay/suffer).
Salvation: healed by correcting one’s thinking, good spirit - not allowing oneself to be damnned/held back from learning
Satan/Adversary: unhealed part of us, incorrect thinking that ultimately causes suffering
Scriptures: Ancient writings of imperfect people which imperfect religious leaders have selected and changed
Spirit: Intuitive sense that helps guide us – goal is to make subconscious more conscious through prayer and meditation
Temple: Body, mind and soul – place to connect spiritually
Tithing: 1/10 of INCREASE (after your own basic needs are met), sometimes used by religious leaders to be rich, but is significantly intended for the poor (Deut 14:29-29)
Veil: Subjectively limited beliefs we are all subject to
Word of Wisdom: Spirit of wise choices in regards to health
Word: Spiritual/symbolic energy

What do you think about this?
Have you redefined terms that have helped you maintain sanity or even be inspired?

(P.S. I posted this previously - but am following up on a suggestion to start a new thread.)

Give It Time

Re: Redefining Gospel Terms

Post by Give It Time » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:00 pm

I did this much more than I do, now. I found that, so often many of these words and phrases are in a context that I just can't make it work. This is especially true at the temple. However, it is a powerful survival tool. I've used it to make some comments that have blown people away at how insightful they are (yes, I'll admit that). This practice is pretty reliable for identifying a members who's testimony is no longer conventional. I copied your list and inserted my own. These are my present ones.
Newme wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 am
Anointed: been blessed, especially by God
Apostate: Name Yes? What may I do for you?
Baptism: Spiritual rebirth
Celestial: Heavenly (I like Christ-like, too)
Choose The Right: Follow your conscience
Commandments: I used to substitute guidelines for wise living, but this is one that fell to context
Covenants with God: Actually, when my newborn son was laid in my arms, I made a covenant with God, I would do all in my power to protect him and raise him well. Since that moment, I've considered covenants to be ratified and sealed in the heart, not in the temple and not by someone who thinks he has authority over me.
Eternal Family: doesn't apply to me. These are painful. I try to skip these.
Family: I don't substitute. My family was never conventional, not even while I was young. I'm just used to being an outlier on this doctrine.
Forgiveness: Releasing pain. However, when they start talking about forgiveness to allow harmful people and situations continue in my life (and they do), I mark a date on my mental calendar when I will send in my resignation and start counting years, months and days.
Gender Roles: I stay home as much as possible on these ones.
Heavenly Father: Heavenly Parents
Jesus Christ: the earthly incarnation of love and compassion
Kingdom of God: Spiritual connection with God within us (actually, I don't hear this much)
Last Days: Full disclosure: I hope to die early in the events of the millennium. I think of being an angel coming down in the clouds with the Savior
Lord’s Side or not: I privately thank the speaker for letting me know what a bigoted, xenophobic jerk they are.
Love/Charity: no substitution, but I use the true definition of charity found in Corinthians 13, rather than viewing charity as service.
Marriage: I use this opportunity to play with a restless toddler, contemplate whether or not the plants in the chapel are real, close my eyes and meditate. If it's a lesson, I stay home.
Member Missionary Work: In your dreams!
Missionary Work: I wonder if my son's going on a mission, how I feel about that and how I'll pay for it.
Priesthood: this one's tough, because of context, but my view of the priesthood is something like the force or what the Chinese call chi. It always was this way until the church told me otherwise. This word is frequently combined with "proper ___ authority" or "leaders". Substitution for this one is hit or miss for me.
(Honoring The) Priesthood -I stay home
Repent: Correct one’s thinking and related emotions and behavior – turning to God (pretty much agree)
Sin/Evil: aaaannd here comes the shame (I used to do a substitute similar to yours, this is one that fell to context)
Salvation: healed by correcting one’s thinking, good spirit - not allowing oneself to be damnned/held back from learning (this)
Satan/Adversary: I contemplate a career in criminal profiling.
Scriptures: Wise words from various traditions, even fiction writers, movies and science.
Spirit: interchangeable with my views on priesthood. This was always how I viewed it until the church intervened
Temple: I sit there and silently express gratitude that this no longer applies to me. I truly did try to go to and continue to enjoy the celestial room, but all the rest of it just ruined it for me.
Tithing: 1/10 of INCREASE (after your own basic needs are met) or donated to other worthy causes.
Veil: Finite mind
Word of Wisdom: Spirit of wise choices in regards to health (this, although if they expand on the theme, I have to distract myself)
Word: no substitution

At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:03 am

I'm posting, again, because I didn't like my previous one, but I also think it should stand.

Giving the doctrines a looser interpretation is definitely a good survival tactic.

Some of the interpretations I've given have been:

I definitely saw a perpetrator of domestic violence in Ramses in the interactions with Moses. I didn't call Ramses an abuser, I said that power and control were important to Ramses and continued the analogy through the Red Sea collapsing on his army. I was surprised by how well the interpretation worked, the teacher and the people in the room were impressed.

Charismatic Christian - when our leaders talk about meekness and humility, I think about how Charismatic Christians talk about boldness and strength. Actually, both are biblical, but I am stunned by the difference. Also, when I hear grace talked about in church, I think about grace as espoused by mainstream Christianity. Most of those talks and lessons will cross over until they talk about grace being earned. Then I'm moved to compassion for those around me, because they don't know the beauty of considering unmerited favor and the feelings of overwhelming gratitude it imbues.

Pagan-this view, with a god and a goddess, actually translates very well. The divine child of light is in paganism. The sacrificial hero is in paganism. There can be magic in paganism (not all pagan traditions are magical) and this is a pretty direct correlation to priesthood--except pagans believe women can practice magic. Covenants are the binding power of magic, as when a witch says, "this is my will, so mote it be". I've found this interpretation requires the fewest mental gymnastics and I don't leave church so tired.

Eastern philosophies-direct correlation between to Golden Rule and Karma and Jesus bears many similarities to Buddha. The eightfold path and behavioral standards are similar.

The Eastern philosophies are especially good at drawing a line between there philosophies and their religions. I have found this to be a good practice. I find that I agree with the philosophies of many religious traditions, but once we start bringing in the religious aspects (the deities, specifically), we start traveling to some pretty strange shores. That was a recent realization for me. The religious elements of Mormonism don't feel strange to me, because I've heard them all my life--except, I'm now free to think polygamy is weird and I do. My current interpretation as I sit in the pews lean Taoist/Buddhist. I find I switch every five months. I figure the first one I can stick with for six months straight will be a keeper, but keeping my heart open as well.

Finally, I've found it helpful to find a way to spiritually inoculate myself before church: meditate, listen to a sermon, read something uplifting. It also helps to have a detox after church: bath or shower, exercise, brush teeth, changing clothes.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Newme wrote:
One thing that has helped me is redefining gospel terms. When I've really focused on reinterpreting words, it has turned some otherwise annoying church meetings/lessons into inspiring experiences. Once, it even brought tears to my eyes - I was so moved. My TBM sister looked at me like I was crazy with tears for a lesson that didn't seem so significant.
This is a great strategy for being a peace with the LDS church, Newme. For a while, I thought about doing something similar for making it through the temple recommend questions. I have fallen quite far from that lofty goal at this point. Instead, I am now simply honest with myself that I am explicitly lying to my bishop and stake president so that the LDS church cannot knowingly hold my family hostage from me.
Last edited by Corsair on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:17 am

I do this with the temple recommend questions. Some of my interpretations would positively floor a bishop.

Thanks for saying what you did about honesty, Corsair, because that has stuck in my craw.

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 am

Give It Time wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:00 pm
Covenants with God: Actually, when my newborn son was laid in my arms, I made a covenant with God, I would do all in my power to protect him and raise him well. Since that moment, I've considered covenants to be ratified and sealed in the heart, not in the temple and not by someone who thinks he has authority over me.
Eternal Family: doesn't apply to me. These are painful. I try to skip these.
Thanks GiveItTime, good to know your terms.
I agree and like how you consider covenants to be sealed in the heart, not by some external authority.

Why do you think eternal family doesn't apply to you? I also don't go to the temple anymore and my husband and mom have told me because of it I'm "ruining" my marriage - but I don't believe that temple experiences equate to a healthy marriage. Marriage and family to me, are about relating - if you relate well - then it's good and likely you'll want to relate eternally. If not, no piece of paper or sealing is going to make reality something other than what it is. I could even justify it with Mormon doctrine: free agency and priesthood not being used for unrighteous dominion, besides seeking truth wherever it's found - and if found to be untrue, it should not be followed.
Eastern philosophies-direct correlation between to Golden Rule and Karma and Jesus bears many similarities to Buddha. The eightfold path and behavioral standards are similar.
My dad who's open-minded-TBM told me of the probability of Jesus having traveled to the east (some time between the years of 12 and 33) and the possibility of him dying in Srinagar, Kashmir. There's even a shrine claiming by the Ahmadis to be the tomb of Jesus. Who knows, but what seems obvious (at least to me) is that Jesus was highly influenced by Buddhist teachings. Not only are his writings similar ("don't look for the Buddha/God outside you - the kingdom of God is within you" Luke 17) - but also Buddhism had existed for 400 years before Jesus and had spread to Israel.

How would you say the 8-fold path is similar to Jesus's behavioral standards? Are you referring to the beatitudes, parables or something else?
The Eastern philosophies are especially good at drawing a line between there philosophies and their religions. I have found this to be a good practice. I find that I agree with the philosophies of many religious traditions, but once we start bringing in the religious aspects (the deities, specifically), we start traveling to some pretty strange shores. That was a recent realization for me. The religious elements of Mormonism don't feel strange to me, because I've heard them all my life--except, I'm now free to think polygamy is weird and I do. My current interpretation as I sit in the pews lean Taoist/Buddhist. I find I switch every five months. I figure the first one I can stick with for six months straight will be a keeper, but keeping my heart open as well.
I have been amazed and impressed with some Eastern philosophies, like Taoism, in which there is an open acknowledgment that all religions can have some positive and negative aspects - and to embrace what inspires you. I'm sure that not all Eastern religions are so open-minded, and there are extreme fanatics in them as well, but Taoism seems much more broad and less dogmatic. My temple now is nature - really it was before but I see it more as a truly sacred place - where I can and do receive spiritual insights.

One year, my resolution was to study the essentials of healing arts. Most of them work based on placebo effect - which is fine - as long as you don't waste a lot of money etc. - whatever works! As you mentioned, you find things that stick - that resonate with you. But the skeptical part of me wanted to invest my belief in something more substantially proven to work independent of the placebo - and Chinese Medicine (particularly acupuncture etc.) applies. Little by little, I'm learning Tai Chi and about meridians and how energy is organized. I also like yoga - but I have a lot to learn in all of this.
Finally, I've found it helpful to find a way to spiritually inoculate myself before church: meditate, listen to a sermon, read something uplifting. It also helps to have a detox after church: bath or shower, exercise, brush teeth, changing clothes.
Good ideas, thanks!

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:09 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:33 pm
Newme wrote:
One thing that has helped me is redefining gospel terms. When I've really focused on reinterpreting words, it has turned some otherwise annoying church meetings/lessons into inspiring experiences. Once, it even brought tears to my eyes - I was so moved. My TBM sister looked at me like I was crazy with tears for a lesson that didn't seem so significant.
This is a great strategy for being a peace with the LDS church, Newme. For a while, I thought about doing something similar for making it through the temple recommend questions. I have fallen quite far from that lofty goal at this point. Instead, I am now simply honest with myself that I am explicitly lying to my bishop and stake president so that the LDS church cannot knowingly hold my family hostage from me.
Thanks, Corsair.
Have you seen the movie, "The Good Lie"? If you haven't, I'd suggest it - excellent feel-good movie.
It's based on the idea that there are times when lying is more ethical and even more godly than telling the truth.
We each go by our own conscience - in doing what is best for ourselves and our families.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:32 pm

First question.

My father is a convert. His family isn't just non-members, but antagonistic to the church. Like I have an ancestor in the Carthage mob on that side.

All of my mother's siblings left the church.

My parents won't be together. My father won't even be offered the celestial kingdom. He committed one of those sins from which there is no full redemption.

My mother, I am absolutely certain, will not marry again. Once we enough. I haven't heard this anyplace official, but it makes sense in our plan, that the woman can't have her offspring with her if she's not married.

Okay, those are most of my ancestors wiped off the board.

My marriage went south. Even though we're still sealed, the feeling is mutual, we won't have each other. Like my mother, I won't marry, again. One of my son's is atheist. The other believes, but since I have no desire to marry, I won't have my progeny, either.

The Plan Of Happiness is far too narrow.

The eightfold path:

Right view: understanding. Understanding the true nature of things. Buddhism and Mormonism may not entirely agree, but there are areas where they do. Mormons believe that everything has a soul. I believe Buddhists do, too, and they distinguish between sentient and non-sentient.

Right thought - summing up the definition I just read, having the mindset of being able to let go. Our ceaseless talk of repentance is a theme of this. Our near-ceaseless talk of forgiveness is, too. I think the Buddhists do this doctrine better.

Right speech-clear, truthful, non-harming speech. We do the clear and truthful. Unfortunately, we also do the moved upon by the spirit and the wicked take the truth to be hard. Score another one for the Buddhists.

Right action-ethical action. Well, we preach it, anyway.

Right Livelihood-similare, but not the same. I think a Buddhist might be able to reason giving elective abortions. A Mormon could not.

Complete effort-full dedication, anxiously engaged in a good cause. Hold to the rod. Press forward, Saints.

Mindfulness-Mormonism does have some of this, as in prayer, scripture study, thoughtful contemplation, temple worship. It's not true mindfulness, but it's not advocating complete distraction, either.

Single mindedness-we have this in the single-minded pursuit of the celestial kingdom, the mission, the celestial spouse.

I say they're like the ten commandments, because there's a list of eight and they do set forth some behavioral standards.

I also think those wise men from the East (if they happened) could have spent some time with the Holy Family (or one of them could) and pass along their wisdom tradition. Also, Jerusalem was a very cosmopolitan city, for it's day. It as a trading hub. They would have gotten people from all over there. Even if Jesus wasn't an incarnation of Buddha, I believe it's quite plausible, he was heavily influenced by Buddhism.

I think that's all your questions.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:16 pm

The chief occupation of apologists.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:52 pm

LSOF wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:16 pm
The chief occupation of apologists.
Pretty much

A few thoughts on this, though. Have you ever gone to church with someone, then discuss it at home and it's almost as if the two of you attended entirely different wards? The two of you may have found the same comment striking, but have near-opposite interpretations? That's kind of what we're doing, but intentionally.

I used to know someone who believed that if a person went snorkeling through the deep doctrines--the plain and simple truths weren't sufficient--they were probably apostate, or would be soon. I'll have you know I fought this vociferously. However, I'm beginning to think she was right. (Inspired by LSOF's statement)

Finally, there are some teachings that are just plain damaging and I've gotten so I won't do this exercise on those teachings. I will either listen and bite my tongue, because I feel like I should know what's being said or I will conscientiously object and walk out...which I did, on a lesson justifying war.

Newme

Post by Newme » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:20 am

Give It Time wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:32 pm
Okay, those are most of my ancestors wiped off the board.

My marriage went south. Even though we're still sealed, the feeling is mutual, we won't have each other. Like my mother, I won't marry, again. One of my son's is atheist. The other believes, but since I have no desire to marry, I won't have my progeny, either.

The Plan Of Happiness is far too narrow.
I agree that the plan of happiness is too narrow - at least as it's defined by people in the church. I believe God defines it much differently - much more broadly and yet also more complexly.
The eightfold path:

Right view: understanding. Understanding the true nature of things. Buddhism and Mormonism may not entirely agree, but there are areas where they do. Mormons believe that everything has a soul. I believe Buddhists do, too, and they distinguish between sentient and non-sentient.

Right thought - summing up the definition I just read, having the mindset of being able to let go. Our ceaseless talk of repentance is a theme of this. Our near-ceaseless talk of forgiveness is, too. I think the Buddhists do this doctrine better.

Right speech-clear, truthful, non-harming speech. We do the clear and truthful. Unfortunately, we also do the moved upon by the spirit and the wicked take the truth to be hard. Score another one for the Buddhists.

Right action-ethical action. Well, we preach it, anyway....
Thanks for your responses - inspiring in many ways.
I read a book comparing Mormonism with Judaism and some Native American beliefs, but never really considered parallels with Buddhism. Interesting. You mentioned 10-commandments - I imagine that maybe the 1st set Moses had may have been similar in some ways to some Buddhist principles. My impression of Buddhism is that it's a higher law - it assumes a practitioner has the basics down - so they won't try to fool others or themselves in interpreting things for their own gain etc. Still, even in Buddhism, the term, "right" could be defined different ways. Christianity and maybe the other Abrahamic religions seem to be focused more on lower basic laws - like don't steal, don't kill, don't lie. Buddhism seems to inspire more self-awareness of not just action but also intention.

I took my kids to a Buddhist temple in SLC - you should have seen the look on their faces, particularly during the meditative chanting - priceless! The guy in charge there was really nice - down to earth and brought it down to their level to relate.
Give It Time wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:52 pm
Have you ever gone to church with someone, then discuss it at home and it's almost as if the two of you attended entirely different wards? The two of you may have found the same comment striking, but have near-opposite interpretations? That's kind of what we're doing, but intentionally.
Well put.
Of all of the symbols to analyze, I'd consider the wisest investments are our own accumulated vocabularies - maybe the essence of psych-ology and intelligence.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 pm

I agree that God defines the eternities differently. I no longer believe in the LDS afterlife, but it can still be a little difficult to sit through the talks and lessons.

I absolutely love your observations about Buddhism and higher laws.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 pm
I agree that God defines the eternities differently. I no longer believe in the LDS afterlife, but it can still be a little difficult to sit through the talks and lessons.

Thanks. And I know what you mean - some lessons can hurt. Today, I actually prayed for the speaker to shift to discuss what all would be included in - basic, essential truths, instead of those that exclude some (like paying and jumping through hoops for "temple worthiness").

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:40 pm
Give It Time wrote:

Thanks. And I know what you mean - some lessons can hurt. Today, I actually prayed for the speaker to shift to discuss what all would be included in - basic, essential truths, instead of those that exclude some (like paying and jumping through hoops for "temple worthiness").
I used to pray things like that, too.

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:17 pm
Newme wrote:
Give It Time wrote:

I rarely pray for that - maybe it'd be good to do so more. I believe in prayer - or focused consciousness (metaphysics), and maybe at some subtle level, it could have some influence. Either way, it would help me to be more inclusive when I communicate.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:34 pm

I was going to pray for a new bishop, once. Then, I looked around and I realized there were some likely candidates who would have been about the same, if not worse. I decided to stick with the devil I knew.

I believe in focused consciousness, too.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Newme wrote:
Give It Time wrote:

You two are so sweet! When I hear stuff I don't like, I just practice my RBF (resting b*tch face). :twisted:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:08 am

Newme wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 am
Who knows, but what seems obvious (at least to me) is that Jesus was highly influenced by Buddhist teachings.
We can almost see a pair of Buddhist missionaries arriving in Nazareth, hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus, dressed in saffron robes and sporting missionary haircuts. They ask the Nazarenes, "What do you know about the Buddha and would you like to know more?" Before the villagers could answer, the missionaries tell them, "Do not answer, just imagine the sound of one hand clapping".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:08 am
Newme wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 am
Who knows, but what seems obvious (at least to me) is that Jesus was highly influenced by Buddhist teachings.
We can almost see a pair of Buddhist missionaries arriving in Nazareth, hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus, dressed in saffron robes and sporting missionary haircuts. They ask the Nazarenes, "What do you know about the Buddha and would you like to know more?" Before the villagers could answer, the missionaries tell them, "Do not answer, just imagine the sound of one hand clapping".
Ha ha! Now that's a church I can join!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Newme

Post by Newme » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:27 am

MoPag wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:45 pm
Give It Time wrote:
Newme wrote:

You two are so sweet! When I hear stuff I don't like, I just practice my RBF (resting b*tch face). :twisted:
Believe me, I've often been accused of giving dirty looks - even when I didn't mean to. :lol: Some call it the INTJ death stare. It's more about just thinking really deeply but not realizing I'm staring at someone while doing it.