Online Tithing

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Snowdrop

Re: Online Tithing

Post by Snowdrop » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:56 pm

DH pays tithing. That's his deal. I'm working on allotting some of my time to service on a weekly basis. I feel like personally giving back to the community is the best thing I can do right now to be an aware, contributing member of society.
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:13 pm

I shall give the Church none of my money except for what I buy from them.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Random

Post by Random » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm
I'm not planning on paying 10% on gross or net. I'm not even sure about 10% on nuanced increase. Just line upon line, precept on precept. Here a little and there a little until I hit an amount that feels right.
10% on surplus is my understanding. That's why the poor don't have to pay. They don't have surplus. Now, the current LDS leadership spin is a bit different than that.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Giant Sloth

Post by Giant Sloth » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:43 am

One other little piece of info that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Assuming they haven't changed it, paying confidentially by bill pay means that your payment amounts are not automatically disclosed to your bishop.

However, bishops still have the option of getting that info. I don't know whether they can just go in and check a box or whether they have to submit some kind of request.

My guess is that since bishops only serve for a few years and are overworked as it is, and since bill pay is a pretty obscure way to pay, that 95% percent of bishops will never see your tithing amounts if you pay this way.

As was stated, this is not the default setup -- you must request the confidential option when you set it up.

dispirited

Post by dispirited » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I also pay through bill pay and requested to pay anonymously. My year end statement always says 0 and I always declare a full tithing. I have wondered if the bishop or stake pres can look to see how much I have contributed if they jump through some hoops...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Fidelity charities is one way to donate completely anonymously.

Random

Post by Random » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 pm
What is that? Can you donate to the LDS Church through it (thinking of the op)?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Random wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:25 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 pm
What is that? Can you donate to the LDS Church through it (thinking of the op)?
Yes, completely anonymous on the church end. It takes $5000 to start the account. Its interest bearing, and then you transfer money as you wish into LDS church-- or whatever other charities you choose.

They receive the donation from fidelity. Fidelity sends you a tax statement.

Random

Post by Random » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm

That's cool. Completely bishop-proof.

PK

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Random wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Yep! Ya just need the $5000 to get started...

Random

Post by Random » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:19 pm
Random wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Yep! Ya just need the $5000 to get started...
Yep. Way out of my price range. But I don't have to pay tithing anymore, though the Church's website assures me that I can if I want to.

PK

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Is this through Fidelity Investments?
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:03 pm

I think so. Its an investment account.

Www.fidelitycharitable.org

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm
Give It Time wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:03 pm

I think so. Its an investment account.

Www.fidelitycharitable.org

Thank you. 😀
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 pm

dispirited wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm
I also pay through bill pay and requested to pay anonymously. My year end statement always says 0 and I always declare a full tithing. I have wondered if the bishop or stake pres can look to see how much I have contributed if they jump through some hoops...
A stake president can see your donations but it's not on the default screen is my understanding. They review donations for the major word callings like Bishop or any of the bigger stake callings. I pay anonymously through a money order. I mark it as tithing, but it's not credited to any member number or Ward.

I think there are some extra hoops I could jump through to make it tax deductible but it's more work than I think it's worth for the amount im donating. My privacy is worth more than the tax deduction.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:25 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 pm
I think there are some extra hoops I could jump through to make it tax deductible but it's more work than I think it's worth for the amount im donating. My privacy is worth more than the tax deduction.
Keeping photo copies of the Money Orders made out to LDS-Inc. along with the donation slips that say it's going to tithing, and I don't think you'd have a problem using those "receipts" as a tax deduction.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:04 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 pm
dispirited wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm
A stake president can see your donations but it's not on the default screen is my understanding. They review donations for the major word callings like Bishop or any of the bigger stake callings. I pay anonymously through a money order. I mark it as tithing, but it's not credited to any member number or Ward.

Do you know this from experience, or?

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:04 pm

No, just reading on the old board and exmormon.org

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:31 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:04 pm
No, just reading on the old board and exmormon.org
Ok. I'm paying anonymously supposedly via bill pay, but considering switching to fidelity. Dh likes the idea of being in church leadership, but I do not want to jeopardize his options. It's really why I stay at this point.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:22 pm

I imagine that faithful Mormons wishing to tithe money garnered by hold-ups, heists, drug transactions, and winnings from sports betting would appreciate having anonymity in their tithing. A tithing drop at an unmarked dumpster in a location without surveillance would work just fine.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha