Online Tithing

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Give It Time

Online Tithing

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 am

Now that the church has come out of the closet about members being able to pay tithing online, I'm wondering if the amount of tithing paid still is not revealed to the bishop.

I plan to pay some tithing, but it will be nowhere near what would be considered a full tithe (for one thing, I can't afford that). However, I will consider it a full tithe from a NOM-I-own-my-spirituality perspective and would have no problem responding yes to the question of whether or not it was a full tithe.

Anyone know if the bishops get a report from HQ as to how much tithing a person pays online?
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Give It Time

Re: Online Tithing

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 am

Did some research. Apparently, with the new method, a statement can be printed at your ward. That means the bishop can find out how much you pay.

I think this is still current. I'll be using one of these methods.

http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Donations_to_C ... adquarters
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:31 am

Spouseman pays online and the records go to our ward. It would be nice to give anonymously, but I'm not sure how to go about that.
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:47 am

Snowdrop wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:31 am
Spouseman pays online and the records go to our ward. It would be nice to give anonymously, but I'm not sure how to go about that.
According to this link and the way things were done before the church made online payment and official option, it's my understanding that one could make arrangements for paying through your bank's bill pay function. This was done by setting up the situation through email and the email address should be in the link. This is easier than snail mail, but it's my understanding this gets recorded as funds for your ward paid by you. The downside with this is it's my understanding that the amount paid per month is something more like automatic withdrawal and some people report problems with varying the amount.

The other method is to fill out a tithing slip, write a check (cash probably works, too, but is less secure) and mail the donation directly to church headquarters.

It's my understanding both these methods will get recorded as a donation to your ward by you. The bishop will get a report that you have paid tithing directly to headquarters, but he won't be informed how much. I also gather that two reports are generated from headquarters and mailed directly to you. One is a November report for tithing settlement and the other is a donation receipt that is sent with timing meant for use for tax purposes.

Of course, this could all be faith promoting rumor now that the church has rolled out an official way to pay online, but I plan to give one of these options are try.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:01 am

Bill pay is still anonymous, when you email them to get instructions on how to set up your bank billpay, a little extra insurance would be to request that anonymity (IE, "I would like to set up anonymous billpay with my bank, please send instructions for ___ bank"). I check with my friend the finance clerk from time to time and he says nothing comes through. I have been on it for several years now. I always email my bishop my declaration during tithing settlement and he has never once questioned or asked for statements. YMMV.

Also, billpay is not automatic unless you make it so on your banks online system.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:46 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:01 am
Bill pay is still anonymous, when you email them to get instructions on how to set up your bank billpay, a little extra insurance would be to request that anonymity (IE, "I would like to set up anonymous billpay with my bank, please send instructions for ___ bank"). I check with my friend the finance clerk from time to time and he says nothing comes through. I have been on it for several years now. I always email my bishop my declaration during tithing settlement and he has never once questioned or asked for statements. YMMV.

Also, billpay is not automatic unless you make it so on your banks online system.
The voice of experience. Thank you.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:47 am
The other method is to fill out a tithing slip, write a check (cash probably works, too, but is less secure) and mail the donation directly to church headquarters.
If you fill out a tithing slip with your name/address on it, or pay with a check with your name/address on it, they will look up your membership and make sure that the local ward knows about it.

If you want to go to great lengths to be anonymous, paying with an anonymous money order, or with cash, and if filling out a "slip" simply fill in the amount where you want the funds to "go" and mail anonymously it to headquarters. I"m pretty sure they won't reject it. :twisted:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:27 pm
Give It Time wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:47 am
If you fill out a tithing slip with your name/address on it, or pay with a check with your name/address on it, they will look up your membership and make sure that the local ward knows about it.

If you want to go to great lengths to be anonymous, paying with an anonymous money order, or with cash, and if filling out a "slip" simply fill in the amount where you want the funds to "go" and mail anonymously it to headquarters. I"m pretty sure they won't reject it. :twisted:
I have thought of this.

There is one time when I was a member and I wanted to pay tithing absolutely confidentially, but didn't know how to do that. I took some cash, put it in an envelope and slid it under a random bishop's door.

Truth.

Back to original subject, I'm going for temple recommend status.

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:00 pm

We've been on the bill pay system since 2008. I will verify that it works and it is so simple. You can request the sign up form from the email address on the tech.lds.org link abov: donations @ ldschurch . org. If you want to PM me I can email the form to you as well. Since it is set up by you, through your bank's bill pay system, you can specify when, how much, and to what account you want to send money. You can change the amounts or stop anytime you want, just as with any bill pay account.

Every month I get a statement from the donations email verifying receipt. At the end of the year I get a receipt with ALL the donations, including the ones (fast offering) we make to the ward. Because all the donations are linked through dh's member number, it is not anonymous to the corporation, but it is not accessible to your ward clerk. The year end receipt we get from the ward ONLY includes the ward (FO) donations. We, meaning dh, has never been hasselled by the bishop at tithing settlement because of the FO only receipt. He just tells the bishop we pay through bill pay.

If you must remain a tithe payer, this is definitely the way to go.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Nonny wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:00 pm
We've been on the bill pay system since 2008. I will verify that it works and it is so simple. You can request the sign up form from the email address on the tech.lds.org link abov: donations @ ldschurch . org. If you want to PM me I can email the form to you as well. Since it is set up by you, through your bank's bill pay system, you can specify when, how much, and to what account you want to send money. You can change the amounts or stop anytime you want, just as with any bill pay account.

Every month I get a statement from the donations email verifying receipt. At the end of the year I get a receipt with ALL the donations, including the ones (fast offering) we make to the ward. Because all the donations are linked through dh's member number, it is not anonymous to the corporation, but it is not accessible to your ward clerk. The year end receipt we get from the ward ONLY includes the ward (FO) donations. We, meaning dh, has never been hasselled by the bishop at tithing settlement because of the FO only receipt. He just tells the bishop we pay through bill pay.

Wonderful info! Thank you!

Let me see if I can work it out on my own, but may PM you for the form.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:54 am

Nonny wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:00 pm

That's good information. Thanks for posting it.

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:44 pm

This is excellent general information, thank you!
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I just signed up for bill pay a few months back. They have two separate sets of instructions, and you MUST request the "confidential/ not visible" option or they will still report to your ward. I have not been signed up long enough to know whether my ward can still see in spite of my request. However, my bill pay donations do appear on my lds.org account.

If you donate via lds.org, login to the account and go to settings, from there you can tick the box to ask for the ward not to print a statement (you can print your own for tax) but technically the bishop or clerk could look it up if they wanted.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 pm
I just signed up for bill pay a few months back. They have two separate sets of instructions, and you MUST request the "confidential/ not visible" option or they will still report to your ward. I have not been signed up long enough to know whether my ward can still see in spite of my request. However, my bill pay donations do appear on my lds.org account.

If you donate via lds.org, login to the account and go to settings, from there you can tick the box to ask for the ward not to print a statement (you can print your own for tax) but technically the bishop or clerk could look it up if they wanted.
Good to know. I was wondering if or how the online payment of the church's website figured into this.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:30 am

To anyone still paying tithing and willing to talk about it - do you pay "10%" or just toss a few bucks so you can say at least you paid something?

Have you ever had a bishop actually look at your tithing donations during TR interview?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:40 am

Korihor wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:30 am
To anyone still paying tithing and willing to talk about it - do you pay "10%" or just toss a few bucks so you can say at least you paid something?

Have you ever had a bishop actually look at your tithing donations during TR interview?
I have heard of a few cases where a bishop expressed some skepticism over the amount of tithing paid for an individual. I don't think it happens often and I don't recall any cases at all when I was a ward clerk. It's far more likely to happen when you are employed by the LDS church. Ken Clark is a former CES instructor and vocal ex-Mormon. He talks about being confronted by bishops who did not appreciate any deviation from paying tithing on "gross" salary and staying current by paying monthly.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Korihor wrote:

A former acquaintance of mine claimed that he had a bishop ask to see his W-2 form.

Said acquaintance never returned to a mormon chapel.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:14 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 pm
Korihor wrote:

A former acquaintance of mine claimed that he had a bishop ask to see his W-2 form.

Said acquaintance never returned to a mormon chapel.
I probably would have been stupid enough to comply in my believing days.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Korihor wrote:

My ward leaders and former leaders say you decide what your tithe is. We had a nuanced lesson in SS where they
all agreed it's up to you.

I haven't been to settlement yet since I started paying online via bill pay, so we will see if they are all talk in December.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm

I'm not planning on paying 10% on gross or net. I'm not even sure about 10% on nuanced increase. Just line upon line, precept on precept. Here a little and there a little until I hit an amount that feels right.