Devotional: Walking the Road to Emmaus

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
achilles

Devotional: Walking the Road to Emmaus

Post by achilles » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 am

The road to Emmaus happens every day....Sometimes we are the disciple; sometimes we are the stranger.
In this Sunstone article from September 2005, Frances Lee Menlove reflects on the passage in Luke 24:13-35, wherein two dejected disciples trod the road from Jerusalem to Emmaus after the Crucifixion and meet a mysterious stranger...

This article can strengthen all of us, no matter where we are in our spiritual journeys; whether we believe it literally happened...or not.

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/wp-con ... -11-13.pdf
Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.

-St. Theresa of Avila
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

MoPag

Re: Devotional: Walking the Road to Emmaus

Post by MoPag » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:51 pm

That was a beautiful, powerful article. And I totally needed that in my life right now.

I love the St. Theresa quote. I going to work that into my primary lesson for next week.

Thanks for sharing!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 am

It's refreshing to get the chance to appreciate a widely regarded saint. While I'm reasonably confident that this quote from St. Theresa of Avila might have some appreciation with an LDS Sunday School, it would consistently be held in lower regard than whatever Jeff Holland said last April and October.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:10 pm

Want to hear something a bit sad? Before I joined the church, I'd heard of the ecumenical Walk to Emmaus program most Christian churches participate in, but I'd never yet attended one of the retreats. Right after I joined, I contacted the main office of the program & asked about attending, and who (which churches) it was open to. "Oh, it's open to every denomination - every church."

I then mentioned that I was a new member of the LDS Church. Oh...well, Mormons are not able to participate in the program. Huh? I asked why, and the person didn't know if it was an LDS rule, or a rule of the program. I still don't know the reasons, but... I would not doubt if the LDS church restricted members from attending - after all, they don't like to let members out of their sight, or let them get influenced by other churches.

However, even more than that, I wonder if the program had to restrict participation due to members attending and trying to recruit others into the church. I can picture that happening, big time.

Anyway - now that I no longer have to worry about that barrier, I do plan to attend one of the retreats. I've always heard wonderful things about the insight people get from the weekend, and the way it renews the spirit.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.