In Which Leadership Takes the Underlings for Granted--A math problem for you

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Thoughtful

Re: In Which Leadership Takes the Underlings for Granted--A math problem for you

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Emower wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:17 am
I used to think that the chorister was unimportant until I had a super awkward experience at a ward function. We came to the end of the 4 verse song, and the pianist decided that was the end. The congregation decided they wanted to keep going with the verses that are printed below the song. The pianist then tried to catch up, but couldnt and it sounded horrendous. So the end of the verse comes along, the congregation decided to stop, but the pianist assumed they wanted to sing the rest so he kept playing. The congregation tried to catch up, but didnt and it sounded horrendous. This went on for another round before everybody decided to just let it go. A chorister may or may not have made a difference, but at least someone would have been in charge.
Yep.

We value live music, in a very tightly controlled vein of acceptable genre, instruments, and content. However, we don't value the service of the people who are trained on their own dime to bring in that expertise.

As a teenager, I was offered $300/ hour to accompany another church congregation as organist. Of course I wasn't willing to work on Sunday!

The bishop has called two teenagers to help me. I'm not sure how dependable they will shake out to be. Hopefully I'll get a bit of a break before the babies are born...

Thoughtful

Re: In Which Leadership Takes the Underlings for Granted--A math problem for you

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Update:

The only other competent organist is also moving away.

The bishop's counselor has indicated I am getting a key this weekend to enable me to go in and practice.

The Primary president is one of the women moving away, and the EQ/HP quorums have changed. It will be interesting in the ward and I am very nervous about being called into the PP and/or having to play the organ every week. I also want to bail on the church alltogether with the abuse scandals--BUT my bishop responded well to my request for better safeguards locally and forwarded my email to the stake president.

Hold onto your butts.