Stages of Faith

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Angel

Stages of Faith

Post by Angel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 am

Just curious how many of you are familiar with:
http://www.thebattleofarmageddon.com/st ... _faith.pdf

Quite a bit of the "dark night" is familiar to me right now, and quite a few different paths to take after the dark night.
I like the above essay - as it allows believers to question their faith without having to feel quite as bad about rejecting a few things - with some interesting possibilities of what a future faith might look like.

I'm not sure I want to agree with that very last stage of faith though - the idea that the highest level of faith involves being crucified and detached from everyone and everything.

What stages of faith are you at?
What spiritual progression patterns have you seen?
How would you define the highest level of spirituality?
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Corsair

Re: Stages of Faith

Post by Corsair » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 am

This is a fascinating document that is compelling in its challenge to individuals. I am pretty sure that I heard an extended podcast version of this document some time ago. I'm not sure I could find it again, but I am pretty sure it was linked from Bill Reel's site. Somehow this is not surprise considering how Bill's own Long Dark Night of the Soul has been presented so publicly over the course of his podcasts.

I am reticent to talk about my own stage of faith. I am assuredly out of step with the LDS community. But my own participation in my ward remains high because of my dear wife. Church is effectively three hours of me sitting there carrying on a silent review of everything presented. Mostly it is counter argument and I doubt it would do any good to let anyone know around me. Yet I find myself appreciating some of good things that and LDS lifestyle can bring while still concerned over it's problem. My list of interests is getting increasingly esoteric.

One significant concern is the gulf between my wife and me. Her stage of faith is different than mine and I am not sure this is a gap that can be bridged.

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply Corsair - I like the stages of faith idea as I think there are some ways to return after a dark night to again be a member of a religious community - but you return in a new mindset as a new person - not allowing yourself to be tied down, owning your own beliefs while also being perfectly content that others have different beliefs and are at different stages.

For a time our ward was passing around buttons that read "All In" - to earn it you had to go to the temple, read scriptures, some long list of things.... I have told a few people that I am "half in". I like half of it, and feel perfectly fine not embracing the other half. My husband and I are also at different stages, I suppose everyone is unique and at a different stage from one another. Part of our spiritual journey involves a community, and part of it is done as an individual I think. I need to learn how to better communicate with others - to not offend them, or put them on guard.

Being "half-in" of course makes those in stages 1→3 rather nervous around me, but there are others who become more comfortable around me. I go to church for the kids - often do not attend all the mtgs... a few are trying to get us to be "active" again (neither my husband nor I have callings or temple recommends). I'm trying to balance giving the kids stability, and the opportunity to go through stage 1→3 if that really is where people need to progress through while at the same time letting them know they are free to choose whatever belief system they would like. The kids seem to be doing well, everyone compliments us on them - although that could just be a proud mama talking.

Thanks again for your reply and for taking time to read the article.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Angel wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:11 pm
For a time our ward was passing around buttons that read "All In" - to earn it you had to go to the temple, read scriptures, some long list of things..
What an awful, horrible idea. :shock:
Angel wrote:
I have told a few people that I am "half in".
I would have paid to make a button that looked the same as the "All In" button but that said "Half In" and worn it around.

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:50 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:29 pm
Angel wrote:
For a time our ward was passing around buttons that read "All In" - to earn it you had to go to the temple, read scriptures, some long list of things..
What an awful, horrible idea. :shock:
Angel wrote:
I have told a few people that I am "half in".
I would have paid to make a button that looked the same as the "All In" button but that said "Half In" and worn it around.
I think the best way to change a community is with a loving, kind, peaceful manner... to smile, say "thanks, but no thanks"...

I went out with the helping hands group - great to do volunteer work, but I refused to wear the shirt, I was not there to be a walking billboard, I was there to help people, not to evangelize.... the next testimony mtg someone got up and proclaimed how they were "proud to wear the shirt" and that is fine. Have to learn not to be riled up, different people are at different places - just smile, remain the calm (not reactionary), rational person of the group, and eventually people will come around a bit ... they will get used to you, and then consider, and then perhaps learn to be a bit ... less... dogmatic and more down-to-earth about it all.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm

What stages of faith are you at?
Definitely the "acceptance" stage where I don't miss it any more and realize I never needed it. I'm not sure I'll ever go into a "regret having it" phase because everything is a learning experience and the only thing to do is grow from it.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.