Forging my own path

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Post Reply
User avatar
azflyer
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:10 pm

Forging my own path

Post by azflyer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am

The last week here has been quite spiritually uplifting for me. I am sure some of you read on my other thread (linked below) how I was able to go to a fireside and ask a question of Elders Rasband and Ballard.

Apostle Fireside

Over the last week, I've really received a tremendous outpouring of love and support from both TBM friends and family as well as people I know that are inactive, have resigned, been excommunicated, as well as people on this website. I know the 'middle' way doesn't work for some people, but this whole experience has really helped to embolden me in my desire to forge my own path and really just be myself. It's help me to feel good about who I am, and how I want to live my life. It's helped me realize that it's OK to be a regularly attending Mormon with very NOM-ish tenancies and beliefs and to feel more free to be open about my real thoughts and ideas. It's also helped me recognize that there are lots of TBM-ish people out there that share many of the same concerns and questions that many of the people on this board do.

In the last week, I had long and detailed conversations with one family member that had been excommunicated for Apostasy and another that was previously a bishop. It was so great to have both of them reach out to me in a loving way and for both of them to recognize that I have sincere and honest questions and for those questions to be validated. And for both of them to recognize that I am just doing my best to work my way through this life, just like we all are.

So, to all of you that are searching, keep searching. Find your path. Go be yourself.

User avatar
RubinHighlander
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:20 am

Re: Forging my own path

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:52 pm

I support this message!

I commend you for your fortitude and integrity!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

User avatar
No Tof
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Forging my own path

Post by No Tof » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:58 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:52 pm
I support this message!

I commend you for your fortitude and integrity!
Me too.

I just wish the tolerance and acceptance I feel on this forum was the norm in our very TBM ish community.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

User avatar
foolmeonce
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Re: Forging my own path

Post by foolmeonce » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:51 am

azflyer wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am

So, to all of you that are searching, keep searching. Find your path. Go be yourself.
I couldn't agree with this more. Find what works for you and your family, and do it.

AZFLYER, the Church needs good people like you who have their eyes open and can help direct positive change from within. It also needs folks like me to leave in order to convince them that change is required in order to sustain future viability.

Both paths are hard, but that's what we get for taking the red pill.
Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

User avatar
MoPag
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Forging my own path

Post by MoPag » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:57 pm

po
foolmeonce wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:51 am
azflyer wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am

So, to all of you that are searching, keep searching. Find your path. Go be yourself.
I couldn't agree with this more. Find what works for you and your family, and do it.

AZFLYER, the Church needs good people like you who have their eyes open and can help direct positive change from within. It also needs folks like me to leave in order to convince them that change is required in order to sustain future viability.

Both paths are hard, but that's what we get for taking the red pill.
And the best part is that even though we are on different paths, we can still support each other. Different paths bring different perspectives. The more diversity in thought we share, the more rich and beautiful our world can become. :)
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Forging my own path

Post by Newme » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:05 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:57 pm
And the best part is that even though we are on different paths, we can still support each other. Different paths bring different perspectives. The more diversity in thought we share, the more rich and beautiful our world can become. :)
I really like that.

User avatar
Its_Complicated
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Forging my own path

Post by Its_Complicated » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:01 pm

So, to all of you that are searching, keep searching. Find your path. Go be yourself.
Thank you!

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 1417
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Forging my own path

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:35 pm

azflyer wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am
So, to all of you that are searching, keep searching. Find your path. Go be yourself.
I hear you say this and I know that you really mean it. We've had lunch together and know each other well enough. I'm in favor of being the kind of Mormon I want to be. But I still have told very few people about my change of faith nor do I think this would be well received as a public announcement. My ward would not know what to do and my family would be distraught. Have you had any push back from family or friends after letting others know that you are happy with your own path?

User avatar
azflyer
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: Forging my own path

Post by azflyer » Wed May 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:35 pm
azflyer wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am
So, to all of you that are searching, keep searching. Find your path. Go be yourself.
I hear you say this and I know that you really mean it. We've had lunch together and know each other well enough. I'm in favor of being the kind of Mormon I want to be. But I still have told very few people about my change of faith nor do I think this would be well received as a public announcement. My ward would not know what to do and my family would be distraught. Have you had any push back from family or friends after letting others know that you are happy with your own path?
When's the next lunch? We should talk about this then.

Margarita
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: Forging my own path

Post by Margarita » Wed May 10, 2017 4:44 pm

I believe I have read your story before..perhaps on another board? I so wish you well..and admire your courage and integrity.

This quote I share everywhere.."if I fall..let me fall..the person I become will catch me". Sounds like you are "becoming" and God bless you

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest