Madam Pattirini a.k.a. Brigham Morris Young

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
RubinHighlander

Madam Pattirini a.k.a. Brigham Morris Young

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Just when I think I've heard it all...

I stopped by the Ogden's Own Distillery last week to check out their latest spirits.
http://www.ogdensown.com/
They are famous for the Five Wives vodkas and the Porter Rockwell picture on their whisky bottles. They have a new Gin out that I really like called Madam Pattirini. The label on the back:
Madam Pattirini, a.k.a. Brigham Morris Young, was the 35th child of Brigham Young. In 1885, after returning from a second church mission in Hawaii, B. Morris Young performed and sand all over Utah as a woman. Madam Pattirini's falsetto was so convincing many in the audience did not realize she was a man. Madam Pattirini Gin celebrates that Utah is a little wilder than many people think!

I'll add that the new Porter's Apple Whisky is really yummy, although the Porter's Peach Whisky is still my favorite.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

AllieOop

Re: Madam Pattirini a.k.a. Brigham Morris Young

Post by AllieOop » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:54 pm
Just when I think I've heard it all...

I stopped by the Ogden's Own Distillery last week to check out their latest spirits.
http://www.ogdensown.com/
They are famous for the Five Wives vodkas and the Porter Rockwell picture on their whisky bottles. They have a new Gin out that I really like called Madam Pattirini. The label on the back:
Madam Pattirini, a.k.a. Brigham Morris Young, was the 35th child of Brigham Young. In 1885, after returning from a second church mission in Hawaii, B. Morris Young performed and sand all over Utah as a woman. Madam Pattirini's falsetto was so convincing many in the audience did not realize she was a man. Madam Pattirini Gin celebrates that Utah is a little wilder than many people think!
Wow! I've never heard about him before! This site states that he started the Young Men's program in the church. I wonder if that's true!
He served a mission to Hawaii and started the Young Men's program for the LDS church. Shortly after returning from his second mission with his wife Armeda Snow, a daughter of Lorenzo Snow, and his son Lorenzo Snow Young, Morris began publicly performing as a cross-dressing opera singer under the pseudonym Madam Pattirini. Apparently she had an amazing falsetto. Madame Pattirini preformed in wards and stakes throughout Utah. I find it interesting that the church welcomed her in their buildings and enjoyed her performances.
http://leslieopeterson.blogspot.com/201 ... irini.html

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm
This site states that he started the Young Men's program in the church. I wonder if that's true!

http://leslieopeterson.blogspot.com/201 ... irini.html
Wikipedia also mentioned that. As a cross-dresser he's a heck of a roll model to kick off that program! :shock:
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:36 am

I find it interesting that the church welcomed her in their buildings and enjoyed her performances.

Who doesn't enjoy a good opera? Like they said in South Pacific, you have to be taught to hate. The Church had too many other concerns on their plate at that time and had not yet gotten around to this issue.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 am

This thread is worthless without (slightly better) pics! (Not really, but...)

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:08 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 am
Thanks for dressing up the thread WTF!
--Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:17 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:08 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 am
Thanks for dressing up the thread WTF!
:mrgreen:

Methinks she needs one of them Brigham Young Mutton-Chop Beards...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:41 pm

WERK IT Madame!!!!
AllieOop wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Wow! I've never heard about him before! This site states that he started the Young Men's program in the church. I wonder if that's true!

:lol: :lol: Oh please let it be true!!!! :lol: :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:00 pm

I showed my husband Brigham Morris Young's wiki page last night. He was so surprised! And amused about his association with the YMMIA. I love learning stuff like this. Thanks!