A minimalist approach to God and religion?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

A minimalist approach to God and religion?

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 am

After much thought and consideration I've settled my re-thinking on God and religion.

A higher power may or may not exist.
I can be happy regardless.
Everyone deserves love and respect.
Simplicity soothes the mind.

That's it. No other clutter is necessary.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Newme

Re: A minimalist approach to God and religion?

Post by Newme » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:10 am

Sure, why not! If it works for you!

More and more, I'm becoming convinced that "the kingdom (realm/experience) of God is within," as Jesus and Buddha sugested. And this is both simple and complex, paradoxically.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:22 am

Now go and get eve to partake and it will all be good.

With you on both counts.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

lightbulb

Post by lightbulb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:28 pm

I like the idea of the "minimalist approach." If we are creations then it seems like a creator wouldn't make it overly complex for his creations to relate to him (or her). But what do I know! Unlike my previous know-it-all church persona I try to keep an open mind these days and welcome any little insights or nugets of truth that come my way. If everyone could adopt those four simple ideas it would sure make for a better world!

Liberated Me

Post by Liberated Me » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 pm

That's where I am too, it's great! A simple spirituality without the clutter of dogma and socializing. And lately I've joined the minimalist bandwagon and have been tossing out things and clearing my schedule. Feels good!

Sometimes less really is more.
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.” ~Nelson Mandela~
"Judging others does not define them, it defines you ...."
~Wayne Dyer~

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 am
After much thought and consideration I've settled my re-thinking on God and religion.

A higher power may or may not exist.

That's it. No other clutter is necessary.
It sounds like you have started listening to the Secular Buddhism Podcast. But your four basic statements sounds like a good way for me to explain to my bishop why I will be turning down the next calling he gives to me.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 pm
It sounds like you have started listening to the Secular Buddhism Podcast. But your four basic statements sounds like a good way for me to explain to my bishop why I will be turning down the next calling he gives to me.
Actually it was a Netflix documentary on two guys that gave everything up and became minimalists. Naturally I applied it to my previous way of thinking (apathetic agnosticism) and found these four ideas can answer my current position better while building/maintaining my personal religious boundaries. At least this way I can claim I care while not giving a f*ck. I intend to focus on the mind soothing effects of simplicity while tailoring my belief in deity to my audience all the while proclaiming how happy it's made me.

These three are like the NOM Triangle Offense.
You can pass the conversation back and forth between all three and create a loop that TBMs can hardly defend against. Brother Phil Jackson would be proud!

This has worked extremely well (as you know) to defend my actions of turning down a recent calling. Nobody can blame a guy for trying to simplify his life to become happier! After all, everyone deserves love and respect. Sorry Bish, I'm just too busy for that!

I'll have to check out that podcast.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:44 pm

My approach is the most minimalist possible: ignore it entirely.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:33 pm

LSOF wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:44 pm
...and that's the end of the thread folks!!

I actually agree LSOF, but what do you do when you're a man in your 40's and your TBM mother calls to ask how your testimony is doing? Or your next door neighbor, the dentist and local congregation minister calls to ask you about teaching 4 year olds and inquires about your lack of the authorized pattern while mowing your lawn? Or when the missionaries stop by, the home teaching coordinator calls, the compassionate service lady brings a meal for the hell of it, the scouts need help, the EQP is moving people in, your ensign subscription has expired, the building needs cleaned, guys want to play basketball, the seminary teacher wants to chat about your kids apathetic attitude, your son turns 12, your daughter needs a semi annual interview with the kooky counselor who gives you creepy vibes, or the ward weirdo calls looking for friends, and the million other reasons Mormons don't leave you alone?

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:33 pm
LSOF wrote:

I actually agree LSOF, but what do you do when you're a man in your 40's and your TBM mother calls to ask how your testimony is doing? Or your next door neighbor, the dentist and local congregation minister calls to ask you about teaching 4 year olds and inquires about your lack of the authorized pattern while mowing your lawn? Or when the missionaries stop by, the home teaching coordinator calls, the compassionate service lady brings a meal for the hell of it, the scouts need help, the EQP is moving people in, your ensign subscription has expired, the building needs cleaned, guys want to play basketball, the seminary teacher wants to chat about your kids apathetic attitude, your son turns 12, your daughter needs a semi annual interview with the kooky counselor who gives you creepy vibes, or the ward weirdo calls looking for friends, and the million other reasons Mormons don't leave you alone?
None of that will happen, because if I ignore their attempts at proselytizing, they'll stop eventually. Even if they don't, I'll turn them aside firmly.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm
Actually it was a Netflix documentary on two guys that gave everything up and became minimalists.
More details needed. Let us know your new substitute for "Man's Search for Happiness".
Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:33 pm
LSOF wrote:

These are the real, practical challenges that I want NOM to help everyone overcome. Personally, I'm not the guy who wants to change the culture of the church. I would have purposefully walked away except for the challenges that RR noted above. As long as I am stuck in the midst of believing siblings, parents, and a spouse, I still have strategies to discuss on the forums.