Explain your avatar choice

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
John G.

Re: Explain your avatar choice

Post by John G. » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:24 pm

w2mz wrote:I couldn't find my picture of the pig with lipstick, so I found a pict similar to a car I had years ago. No deep meaning, I just dig old VWs. :)

I love old bugs too! A few years ago I was super close to actually buying an old one. Unfortunately it didn't work out.....

My avatar and screen name is from the movie Memento. A great movie that I highly recommend if you haven't seen it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_(film)
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:57 pm

It's just simply how I often feel.

vankimber

Post by vankimber » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:50 am

I just love sparkly things. I have several big books about collections of jewels, and looking through them makes me ridiculously happy.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:51 am

Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine

Silver Girl wrote:I I found this new image - it seems to capture the Silver Girl look and the idea that the universe is waiting for me to sail on and (as Simon and Garfunkel said) to shine without the oppressiveness of the church in my life.
Great interpretation. I had always assumed that Paul Simon was making a poetic reference to the Divine reaching out for us in the last moments of our lives.

Hmmm, no longer scared. Sounds like a great clue! :D
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:45 am

Mine is Hollis Hurlbut from the Simpsons episode Lisa the Iconoclast.

The avatar itself is the exact moment Hollis sees Jebediah Springfield's silver tongue, which causes him to realize that everything he believed about Jebediah Springfield was a lie. He's devastated and hides the evidence before anyone else can see it.

Eventually Lisa discovers the truth and decides to tell the people of Springfield. Hollis initially tries to prevent Lisa from telling everyone but later relents. Lisa recognizes that the legend of Jebediah Springfield is inspirational for the townspeople, that the truth would hurt, so Lisa and Hollis decide to keep their secret.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:46 am

Prepare for ramblings of someone who has no idea what he's doing.

I like the idea of being a bad boy because I never was one. I was always desirous to be be rebellious but never was. Korihor and Dr Evil appeal to me cause they were the bad guys.

My username is Korihor because he was bad guy but then got defeated and killed for his wicked ways. The story of my life. I try to do what I think is right and turns out I was on the wrong side again, only to have the Zoramites trample me to death.

I like Dr Evil, he tries to be evil but isn't very good at it. Kinda like Korihor. All of my dastardly evil ideas really aren't that evil, but I think I'm pretty much a bad ass.

As in NOM1.0, my avatar is subject to change based on my mood.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Korihor wrote:As in NOM1.0, my avatar is subject to change based on my mood.
I(we) look forward to it haha.

I picked Calvin and Hobbes because the comic cheers me up and makes me smile. I also thought it might cheer up anyone else who has fond memories of reading it. I mean what's not to love?

I picked this strip because I happened to ask my mom if she believed in the devil today(I don't).

And I forgot to add this earlier- thanks for the hint Silver girl :) I was wondering where you were. It wouldn't be the same if you weren't here.

And can I just say.... I love seeing everyone find there way here.
Attachments
C  and H devil.jpg
C and H devil.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 8982 times
Last edited by Lithium Sunset on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Hermey wrote:It's just simply how I often feel.
I like your avatar. I saw it a few times on some political forums.

It does show how too often we may feel when discussing religion and politics.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:36 am

Hagoth was my username on the FARMS website. I just kept it when I changed teams. One of my hobbies is boat building. I created my avatar as a sort of political cartoon jab at BoM apologetics.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:52 pm

My avatar is made up of old pics of the Nauvoo temple moonstones around the five pointed star window. Basically I manipulated them so they form the Pagan triple Goddess symbol. Studying paganism, and learning about the triple goddess especially, really helped me come back from the crap the church taught me about what it means to be female. So my avatar is about taking things from my past and reshaping them into something better.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:39 pm

My old avatar was the Green Lantern, which I liked due to the mission of that superhero. But we have been given a new NOM... so now trying to find a good avatar with 'Eternity' and 'Now'...

FamilySearch

Post by FamilySearch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 pm

I like to think that the Spirit of Elijah hits some of us a little harder than others. I love learning about human evolution but I find family history work for the sake of temple ordinances to be extremely boring/pointless. I just smile when a TBM tells me how exciting it is to trace a family line back to Adam and Eve; my avatar is a family portrait including ancestors that lived approximately 7 million years before Adam and Eve.
"There is grandeur in this view of life, ... from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." - Charles Darwin

sirensong

Post by sirensong » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:57 am

just like my avatar, I play the flute. i used to have long dark hair just like my avatar, though now it's completely silver and not so long... and the art is a little dark, a little dreamy, a little ethereal...
and in the end... the love you take is equal to the love you make...
~lennon/mccartney

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:03 pm

I was really terrified to sign up. I chose a name I thought that no one would ever link to me and then I tried to think of a random image. The harder I tried to think of something random the more meaningful everything became. I saw a beautiful bird in the park that day, so I chose a picture of a bird. The fact that it's by John James Audubon probably says a lot about me, though.

chesteridaho

Post by chesteridaho » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:26 pm

I am a software developer and use "Chester Tester" any time I needed a name for testing. I started using it in the early 2000s when Chester Cheetah went undercover as part of an advertising campaign. I feel undercover as a non-believer when I attend church with my family, so I thought it fit.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:03 pm

First, I'm glad I read this thread beacuse I was wondering if one of you was here, and I see you've just adopted a new name. :)

I finally picked a new avatar. My old one was a girl behind broken glass which fit my sn and how I felt when I first joined NOM. This new one is about rebuilding my own life from my own choices of things that I love. I just used one with broken glass to tie into my sn and old avatar.

I, too, post on reddit. I've had a couple old accounts that I deleted there when I decided I was done with them. I'll probably burn the one I'm currently using at some point. I use it as a place to act snarky and vent anger while occassionally being helpful.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:02 pm

User name: I wanted something generic to make google searches for any posts hard to find and went with Red Ryder.

Avatar: At first I had Ralphie aiming his Red Ryder BB gun but then came across the comic book covers. I'm not a comic book collector or anything like that, but find a sense of nostalgia in them that remind me of a much simpler time on planet earth. A time before hundreds of apps, shows, websites, electronic devices, and all other distracting things of today existed. A simple comic book could bring a smile and needed distraction to kids every where.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:07 pm

I was once a "Losty" and I liked Desmond Hume, but I don't remember why I chose him a few years ago on the StayLDS forum. There was a reason. Oh, well.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:20 pm

My avatar is a reflection of my user name which was the new name I was given when I received my endowment many years ago. So if anyone here received their endowment in the St George temple early December, 1977, well then, Hi there!
So what do you do, with good old boys like me?

alas

Post by alas » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:25 pm

I picked Kermit cause I'm Miss Piggy.

Years ago, my husband described being an incest victim like having green skin. Everyone can see that you are different. But nobody dares to ask why you are different, or even mention it. Yet it frightens them, so they stay away.

So, Kermmy and me, it's not easy being green.

I realized that being an active closet non believer was the same way. People at church could see I was different. I didn't fawn over the things most TBMs fawn over, and I took a much more Jesus centered approach, and I argued that works don't earn us heaven. Jesus gives it to anyone who will take it free of charge. It is called grace. My testimony never said a thing about this church being true or JS being a prophet, or the current leaders, or tithing, or temples. Nope, I talked about love and Jesus, and being a good person. But people were nervous about me being different. They didn't understand and didn't dare ask. So, I was again the one with green skin that nobody dared ask why I was different.

alas is my full initials. First name Anna. The fact that my initials make a word just makes it fun. My dear brother's initials are bra.