Lunch with the ExJWs

Announcements of real world meet ups with fellow NOMs, events such as Sunstone or other conferences, and any other bulletin board like notices.
Corsair

Lunch with the ExJWs

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Just moments ago I posted in subreddit/r/exjw. I put out a blanket invite to meet some fellow apostate Ex Jehovah's Witnesses for lunch in the Phoenix area. I have no idea if this is going to work or if this is even a good idea. But I'm interested if I get any response and maybe I'll end up meeting somebody interesting. I of course, will similarly post in /r/exmormon as well as let you find folks know what happens.

slk

Re: Lunch with the ExJWs

Post by slk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:29 pm

I actually saw your post there last night. I was bored so I thought I'd take a look see on the exjws. Amazing how similar our stories are. Kudos to you for putting that offer out there. I probably need to take that next step and try and find some fellow apostates in real life.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:03 pm

This is really cool, I hope your invitation gets accepted. I for one would love to hear how it goes if it happens.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:56 am

I got one Phoenix person that responded and I will let you know how that goes. This might be a very interesting lunch.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:16 am

Sounds like an interesting lunch!

I just recently watched this TheraminTrees video on YT where he shares his experience with JW efforts to convert him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWeHB4qM1Hg
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Do you remember the thread we had going on the old site where the "NOM" JW guy let us Q&A with him? That was really fascinating and fun. I would love to see that resurrected. Perhaps you could invite your lunch-mates to join our new forum for that again.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:09 pm

After a few days I have one firm commitment to have lunch with us. I think she will be bringing her similarly exJW husband. In any case, I do want to make this comfortable and not too awkward, particularly for her. In the interest of not doxxing her, I won't say much other than that she is a woman that works for a large construction firm and she was kind enough to point me at her LinkedIn profile which included a picture. I will do the same for her shortly. Here are the lunch details:

Date: Wednesday, February 1
Time: 11:30 AM
Location: Famous Dave's BBQ in the Mesa Riverview shopping area

This is on the northern end of Dobson just south of the 101 freeway. It's on the east side of the road. 1011 N Dobson Rd, Mesa, AZ 85201.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:28 pm

The lunch meeting of ex-believers from two different Restoration era faiths is still on. I contacted them this morning and confirmed lunch:

Date: Wednesday, February 1
Time: 11:30 AM
Location: Famous Dave's BBQ in the Mesa Riverview shopping area

This is on the northern end of Dobson just south of the 101 freeway. It's on the east side of the road. 1011 N Dobson Rd, Mesa, AZ 85201. Come have lunch with us and let's find out how Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses compare with Ex-Mormons.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:45 pm

Ex JWs actually have it quite a bit worse. Their families are forbidden from speaking with them if they become apostate. They are given the cold shoulder treatment. If you don't shun apostate family members you can also be considered apostate. It sucks quite a bit to be an ex JW.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:47 pm

I went over to an ex-JW site once and did an ask me anything (AMA). Lots of questions about missionary work, restrictions on missions, and basically "how can you believe such a silly story?" All good questions to be honest.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Two of the best opportunities I've had while moving through my faith transition (I still wish I had a better term for this) were a series of discussions with someone who had belonged to a small, high-demand Christian religion but had abandoned it in college, and another series of discussions with an active, believing member of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I found that removing the focus from the specifics of Mormonism helped. I've also been studying JW history and doctrine lately, and I enjoy seeing the parallels. If I lived in the area, I'd definitely show up for something like this.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Ghost wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:16 pm
I've also been studying JW history and doctrine lately, and I enjoy seeing the parallels. If I lived in the area, I'd definitely show up for something like this.
I read the book "Crisis of Conscience" by an ex member of the JW governing body (equivalent of of a Q12 member). Fascinating insight into how another religion locks itself into certain doctrines and even the leaders are unable to change it. Huge amount of respect for this guy who gave up honor and fame and prestige for what he thought was right.

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 pm

So how did this turn out?
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 am

Vlad the Emailer wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 pm
Our special guest of honor had a last minute issue with their child and couldn't make it. :(
We were going to reschedule but so far... nada.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 am

Korihor wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 am
Vlad the Emailer wrote:
Our special guest of honor had a last minute issue with their child and couldn't make it. :(
Oh, too bad. Hopefully you'll hear from them sometime soon and can reschedule after all.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Vlad the Emailer wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 am
Korihor wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 am
Vlad the Emailer wrote:
Oh, too bad. Hopefully you'll hear from them sometime soon and can reschedule after all.
Yes, her son got sick at elementary school and she got a call from the school nurse. I do need to schedule another lunch.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:49 am

Yo....tell your ex-JW friend there are some ex-MOs....(me) who have immense respect for the integrity it takes to walk away. While on my mission in Australia, I made a friend who was an ex-JW. We attended his church service with him, and I was ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED at the disparity of treatment given to my companion and I, and this man. We were given the red-carpet treatment, and his very existence as a person was ignored, literally. Because he was an ex-JW, he was not looked at, not talked to, not noticed, and literally as though he wasn't standing there at all. It was astonishing.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:49 am
Yo....tell your ex-JW friend there are some ex-MOs....(me) who have immense respect for the integrity it takes to walk away. While on my mission in Australia, I made a friend who was an ex-JW. We attended his church service with him, and I was ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED at the disparity of treatment given to my companion and I, and this man. We were given the red-carpet treatment, and his very existence as a person was ignored, literally. Because he was an ex-JW, he was not looked at, not talked to, not noticed, and literally as though he wasn't standing there at all. It was astonishing.
I just saw this and I find it interesting. If you see this Rob, I have question. Were these people friends who knew him, or just a different congregation that knew he was an apostate?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.