Boy Howdy!

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Thoughtful

Boy Howdy!

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Hello! Long time lurker first time poster.

Navigating a mixed faith marriage through a faith transition that came to a head a year or so ago.

I have 3 kids. Married a couple decades. Spouseman is TBM and we both have quite an illustrious heritage in the church. I'm a therapist and an adjunct professor of psychology.

I vascillate a few times a week between wanting to stay engaged with my community and hoping spouseman will join me...

moksha

Re: Boy Howdy!

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Welcome. :D
Last edited by moksha on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Welcome!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am

We are glad you found us. Has your background in psychology affected your understanding of belief in the LDS church?

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:31 am

Excellent. We need your professional academic expertise around here.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am

Corsair wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am
We are glad you found us. Has your background in psychology affected your understanding of belief in the LDS church?
Yes, definitely. I work with experimental analysis of behavior quite a bit and it's a hobby of mine. My MIL is so proud when my little one gets choked up with the spirit, but I can quickly diagram the reinforcement contingencies evoking that behavior. ;)

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:31 am
Excellent. We need your professional academic expertise around here.
Why, thank you! :)

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am
Corsair wrote:
Yes, definitely. I work with experimental analysis of behavior quite a bit and it's a hobby of mine. My MIL is so proud when my little one gets choked up with the spirit, but I can quickly diagram the reinforcement contingencies evoking that behavior. ;)
It's such an obvious pattern too. I hate to say this but when I was a Sunday school teacher for a class of teenagers, I would ramp up the lesson to induce the spiritual feelings and then suddenly take a left turn sideways and pull it all back by cracking a joke or telling an unexpected ending without the dramatic testimony and reassurance. The kids ate it up and the other adult team teacher would try to end with testimony.

You should start a post and walk us through the diagram.

Welcome to NOM.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am
Corsair wrote:
You should start a post and walk us through the diagram.
Oh yes. This sounds fascinating. And how does your background in psychology influence how you negotiate your marriage relationship during your faith transition?

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Nonny wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:11 pm
And how does your background in psychology influence how you negotiate your marriage relationship during your faith transition?
If you could post regarding this, Thoughtful, it would really be interesting to read. Maybe post about this in the "Mixed Faith Relationships" forum here?

And yes.....Welcome, Welcome.....you'll be a great addition to the board and I look forward to reading more from you!

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am

Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

desertrat

Post by desertrat » Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Welcome! Nice to have a mental health professional on board. I look forward to hearing more of your story.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun May 07, 2017 9:20 am

Welcome to the ward family!!

desertrat wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 pm
Welcome! Nice to have a mental health professional on board. I look forward to hearing more of your story.
We have Alas, and she is amazingly wonderful! But let's face it, we could probably use all the help we can get :)
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun May 07, 2017 3:26 pm

MoPag wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 9:20 am
Welcome to the ward family!!

desertrat wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 pm
We have Alas, and she is amazingly wonderful! But let's face it, we could probably use all the help we can get :)
What they said, plus my own warm welcome. Hope to hear from you often.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born