Anyone Else Watch The OA?

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Give It Time

Anyone Else Watch The OA?

Post by Give It Time » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Major spoiler alert for this thread.

I'm not going to divulge the plot, at this point, but this is one crazy show that turned into a really enjoyable piece of storytelling. The first time I saw the dance moves my reaction was exactly the same as the first time I saw people wearing temple robes, but by the last episode the dance moves really worked on an awesomely odd kind of way.

I'm watching it a second time, because it's short. It's mostly uplifting and I'm looking for clues to indicate whether or not the main character considers it all a lie. This second time around, I'm enjoying the exploration of the possibility of an afterlife. I like that the main character meets a female divinity when she dies. I see elements of the archetype of the Christ when she returns the second time. I like that she's the original angel, essentially dethroning Michael in the Abrahamic monotheon.

Anyway, I am really enjoying the show. Even learning the dance moves. I was wondering if anyone else was watching it, too. Finally, Phyllis Smith's, BBA, is just fabulous! I'm gonna make her my new avatar, if I can find one the right size.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

LaMachina

Re: Anyone Else Watch The OA?

Post by LaMachina » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 am

Watched it. It was a very intriguing show. As someone who leans towards the rational certain aspects really stuck in my craw but they left things open in a way I appreciated and lead to good post watch conversations. I kind of hope they don't do a second season as I feel like answering those questions will ruin the fun of interpreting things yourself!

The dancing was absolutely ridiculous but those actors threw themselves into it so completely that it was really mesmerizing. Initially the ending really irritated me. I couldn't decide if it was a "brave, edgy" choice or just exploitative. I think I lean exploitative but it was worth the watch for sure!

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Basically, it was the actors throwing themselves into the dance that made it so edgy.

They are doing a second season. As I've been reaching, Homer's story doesn't add up. I'd like to see them take this same story from the angle of the other characters. Not all of them. That would get boring.

It does really stretch the limits of credibility, but that is something I think makes it fun. It's such a wild ride.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:48 am

I thought the final scene with the dance was narmish. I got what they were trying to do but it just didn't sell me and I couldn't help but groan. However, the series itself was very engaging.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:28 pm

I especially like how they develop the characters who choose to help her. Different people, easily negatively stereotyped, sensitively written and portrayed.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:57 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:28 pm
I especially like how they develop the characters who choose to help her. Different people, easily negatively stereotyped, sensitively written and portrayed.
Indeed.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:52 pm

I majored in theater and I can tell you that actors are asked to do some pretty crazy stuff. The only way to make that crazy stuff come off as believable is to commit to it, entirely. That is what the actors in this show did. That's why they final dance worked for me. Did it open another dimension? I'll let the writers answer that in season two. Do I think their doing that dance stopped the shooter? I absolutely do in that he had to be looking at it and saying to himself, "what in the Hell?"

This story took a disparate group of misfits and brought them together in a common purpose. Even if that purpose seemed implausible and unprovable, they all stepped outside themselves and stepped up. They came to care for each other in ways that they wouldn't have had Prairie never come along with her strange story and they all acted with amazing courage at the end.

I think there are elements that apply to Mormonism, here. I think there are elements that apply to life, here.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:07 pm

I think so too. It's not something I like admitting, but I actually relate to the thug/jock drug dealer the most, and I like the fact that even though he continued to be flawed and held back by his own inner shadow, he still made progress and found a way to stay on a better path. I like what the show tried to do, but I still have trouble with the final execution. That hasn't stopped me from recommending the series or giving it a solid rating.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 pm

The whole show had the feel of a Greek mystery religion. They went through initiation rites, trials, and internalized Prairie's story as their central myth. They were people that were each failing at life who became heroes by giving themselves over to the myth, letting go of the rational, and embodying the absurd or otherworldly as if it were true. They accomplished this through dance and storytelling. It's something ancient that seems vaguely familiar but is largely lost in modern society.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 pm
The whole show had the feel of a Greek mystery religion. They went through initiation rites, trials, and internalized Prairie's story as their central myth. They were people that were each failing at life who became heroes by giving themselves over to the myth, letting go of the rational, and embodying the absurd or otherworldly as if it were true. They accomplished this through dance and storytelling. It's something ancient that seems vaguely familiar but is largely lost in modern society.
That's a really excellent summary. Thank you.

MJ, I have to say I like how how the jock's character evolves. When Hap abandons Prairie, she chases after the van. When Prairie goes to the hospital/dies/goes to another dimension, the jock is the one who chases the ambulance the farthest. Every though we're apparently supposed to link French and Homer, I would bet the jock is the one who will do the inter-dimensional travel next.

Fun fact: I don't know if you know this, but the creators of the show specifically sought a teenaged trans-male actor to play the trans-male character, Brock. The actor who was chosen for the role is Ian Alexander. Ian is Mormon.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Mad Jax wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:07 pm
I think so too. It's not something I like admitting, but I actually relate to the thug/jock drug dealer the most, and I like the fact that even though he continued to be flawed and held back by his own inner shadow, he still made progress and found a way to stay on a better path. I like what the show tried to do, but I still have trouble with the final execution. That hasn't stopped me from recommending the series or giving it a solid rating.
My initial thoughts after the last episode was that it was just really an enjoyable piece of storytelling. If you want an interesting and unusual story, I'd recommend it. Actually, I think most of us could find a corollary in one of the sets of five. It was when I started thinking about the archetypes​ and wondering if there are clues as to whether or not she made it up (there are several, actually), that I thought it worth a second watch. Besides, I just couldn't take another superhero/wuxiapan. There are limits, people.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:12 am

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 pm
Besides, I just couldn't take another superhero/wuxiapan. There are limits, people.
Can't completely agree. I for one could stand to binge three seasons in a row of "Into The Badlands" but that's what I'm about.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Mad Jax wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:12 am
Give It Time wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 pm
Besides, I just couldn't take another superhero/wuxiapan. There are limits, people.
Can't completely agree. I for one could stand to binge three seasons in a row of "Into The Badlands" but that's what I'm about.
Now, I'm curious.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:06 pm

There are only two seasons, unfortunately. It's about a post apocalyptic Bushido style society, with some science fiction (kid with psionic powered fighting abilities) attached to it, but not too much.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:09 pm

I've watched an episode and a half and have decided to put it on my list. I'm just kind of wuxia-ed out, right now. I will tell you some of the things I like about it. I like the design and the main character. I do like the martial arts that are found in Chinese films. There have been many times I've wondered if they are fighting or dancing. I also look at modern Chinese martial arts films and have wondered why there isn't something incorporating this for American audiences, because there are many enjoyable elements that have broad cultural appeal. That's what I see in Into The Badlands. Thank you for the tip. I'll get to it in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I've discovered Death Comes To Pemberley. The show was a bit of a snooze for me, but when Darcy has to deal with some drama that has been visited upon him by the fact that he made Wickham his brother-in-law, I thought, "isn't that just how it is". I kind of related and I want to see how this works out.