Finally Saw Rogue One

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
nibbler

Re: Finally Saw Rogue One

Post by nibbler » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:46 pm

LaMachina wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am
[But I'm afraid that this may be where these movies are heading, you need an immense amount of background knowledge to enjoy this stuff nowadays or even know what's going on...
Might it have something to do with the expectations going in?

If you go in expecting the worst and it's average you probably come away from the movie with a favorable opinion. If you go in expecting the world and it's average you probably come away from the movie with an unfavorable opinion.

Look at the prequels (figuratively, not literally). 16 years of building up expectations.

Who knows, maybe the Han Solo movie will be awesome simply because I'd go in expecting something as bad as Robocop 3 or The Crow: City of Angles.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:20 pm

nibbler wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:46 pm
LaMachina wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am
[But I'm afraid that this may be where these movies are heading, you need an immense amount of background knowledge to enjoy this stuff nowadays or even know what's going on...
Might it have something to do with the expectations going in?

If you go in expecting the worst and it's average you probably come away from the movie with a favorable opinion. If you go in expecting the world and it's average you probably come away from the movie with an unfavorable opinion.

Look at the prequels (figuratively, not literally). 16 years of building up expectations.

Who knows, maybe the Han Solo movie will be awesome simply because I'd go in expecting something as bad as Robocop 3 or The Crow: City of Angles.
I'm a firm believer that maintaining expectation has a huge role to play in happiness in general and I've seen it's effects on my movie going experience before. I was very excited to see Man of Steel and thought it looked really good but I came away disappointed. I thought Batman Begins was gonna suck but came away really impressed. And your prequel point is well taken. They were bad but I think expectation made them seem monumentally bad...although I do remember really hardcore Star Wars fans attempting to defend them initially.

I was intrigued to watch Rogue One but wasn't expecting anything amazing and I guess it lived up to my expectations in that sense. How we rate our entertainment is pretty subjective but most people I know who really enjoyed it appear to be very knowledgeable Star Wars fans. I guess that's good as they are satisfying their most ardent fans and it's obviously a moneymaker. They must be doing something right!!

I wonder if Rogue One were just an original sci-fi war movie without any surrounding Star Wars connection if people would have enjoyed it as much. One of my favorite sci-fi movies is Serenity. I had never watched Firefly prior to watching the movie and so had no idea what the story was. It was engaging, exciting, funny... I loved it. Yet that particular universe, despite a small but ardent fan base, has been dwarfed by the money made from Rogue One alone. Maybe it's unfair to compare them.

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon May 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Mad Jax wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 am
Dan Simmons did a nice job with Hyperion getting around the classic three act structure (by aping Canterbury Tales) but so far the sequel just can't hook me.
So I love Hyperion. It was so disturbing yet compelling. You haven't been able to get into Fall of Hyperion? It does have a different structure from Hyperion. I finally "read" the remaining books (Endymion, and Rise of Endymion) as audiobooks. They are very different from earlier books, but I liked them. I needed to find out what the Labyrinths were for, who the Ousters really were, what the deal really was with the Technocore, etc.

I have to say that they are kind of like Dune--the first book knocked it out of the park, but the remaining books were less compelling.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon May 01, 2017 7:29 pm

The thing I liked most about Rogue One was that we really got to see the sacrifices that were made to get the Death Star plans to the Rebellion. In the original trilogy the heroes always get out of trouble... It shows that the exploits of heroes are often standing on the shoulders of the people who didn't walk away from the conflict...
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon May 01, 2017 9:25 pm

achilles wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 7:26 pm
Mad Jax wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 am
Dan Simmons did a nice job with Hyperion getting around the classic three act structure (by aping Canterbury Tales) but so far the sequel just can't hook me.
So I love Hyperion. It was so disturbing yet compelling. You haven't been able to get into Fall of Hyperion? It does have a different structure from Hyperion. I finally "read" the remaining books (Endymion, and Rise of Endymion) as audiobooks. They are very different from earlier books, but I liked them. I needed to find out what the Labyrinths were for, who the Ousters really were, what the deal really was with the Technocore, etc.

I have to say that they are kind of like Dune--the first book knocked it out of the park, but the remaining books were less compelling.
I don't think it's poorly written or anything I just haven't been able to immerse the way I did with Hyperion. I'm in somewhat of a different state of mind these days though. I've had my share of trouble with many books I later came back to and discovered their worth (Like "Off Armageddon Reef" by David Weber).
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Thu May 04, 2017 1:25 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:26 pm
Lithium Sunset wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:13 pm
Hopefully Chewy gets some realistic grey hair, unless wookiees never age or go grey haha.
Nerd hat.

Wookies have a lifespan of 400 years. He was about 200 in e4 so he was about 230 in e7. Still, that's slightly over the hill. Old enough to have a little gray.
May the Fourth be with you :D
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 04, 2017 11:38 pm

If you ever get nostalgic for the sounds of a 1980s video arcade, all you have to do is pop in one of the Star Wars movies.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 am

Or play some Blue Oyster Cult.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.