Playing Chicken

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
trophywife26.2

Re: Playing Chicken

Post by trophywife26.2 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:23 pm

I am so sorry you have been stressed to the max, but so happy your Bishop was able to give you the ticket to go. It's a fine line to walk and I hope that somehow the tension can ease for you soon.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon May 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Congrats!

May I suggest a victory dance called the Hosanna Macerana Shout? You'll need a white handkerchief to wave around while the congregation stands and in unison shouts the words "Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna to God and the Lamb. Amen, Amen, and Amen," repeating them three times. This is usually accompanied by the rhythmic waving of white handkerchiefs with uplifted hands. Then transition straight into the Macarena while everyone else sits down in reverence!! Hey...Macarena!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm

I'm glad it went well for you, Enough, and you were granted a green card (as in not one of us but allowed to be in our presence). Too bad temple dedications are usually the driest, most boring meetings in all of Mormondom. The lackluster "shout" delivered by a bunch of people who seem embarrassed to doing it doesn't help much. Maybe if they jazzed it up a little by letting you bring polka-dot or paisley handkerchiefs!
Enough wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:21 am
I am finally ready to concede that I can't win this fight. Can any of us win, against heritage, tradition, DEEP family ties, not to mention a billion-dollar corporation? Can we? I used to think I could. Maybe not WIN-- but at least survive with my dignity intact.
I'm realizing that one of the church's most powerful tools against free thought is the strategic deployment of disappointment. If I can't buy into the whole idea that we don't have the ancient book because an angel took it back, or that platitudes count as prophesying, seeing and revelating, so many people will be so disappointed with me. That doesn't seem like such a big deal, but it really is. We were raised in a culture where our biggest fear is that we will disappoint people. BUT, I'm not seeing so much of that in my kids' generation. They have more of a screw-you-deal-with-it attitude when they don't do what's expected of them. Maybe we need to learn from them.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is absolutely impossible to maintain our dignity as seen through the eyes of heavily indoctrinated people because we can't control the color of the glasses they're looking through. We can only "win" in our own eyes and according to our own rules. Maybe moving forward is about learning not to care about how others see us. I have this image in my head of a bunch of people in a room pounding their heads against the wall and one guy suddenly saying, "man this sucks, I think I'll go do something less painful," even though he knows the others all will consider him a quitter.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon May 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm
I have this image in my head of a bunch of people in a room pounding their heads against the wall and one guy suddenly saying, "man this sucks, I think I'll go do something less painful," even though he knows the others all will consider him a quitter.
Oh man! This is the perfect analogy for LDS Corporation meetings. I've gotta try and remember it...

And congrats Enough, on winning this iteration of the game of Chicken (Which is also a perfect analogy.) Enjoy the Hosanna Mumble/Macarena!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Enough

Post by Enough » Tue May 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 3:23 pm
May I suggest a victory dance called the Hosanna Macerana Shout? ... Hey...Macarena!!
I can only imagine this scene.
Last edited by Enough on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enough

Post by Enough » Tue May 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm
I'm glad it went well for you, Enough, and you were granted a green card (as in not one of us but allowed to be in our presence).
This.