JS Claim to King David Lineage?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
HighMaintenance

JS Claim to King David Lineage?

Post by HighMaintenance » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Where can I find info on Joseph's claim that he was descended from King David?

A family member was asking me today about the DNA test that I did and how we are somehow related to JS, therefore, since he was related to King David, as was Jesus, well, we are related to Jesus.

I'd also like to respond that it was quite fashionable way back when for the nobility types to pay the clergy for family relationships to biblical characters, but I can't find any good info on that, either.

Sigh
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Palerider

Re: JS Claim to King David Lineage?

Post by Palerider » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:50 pm

I've read talks in the journal of discourses indicating that Joseph and other leaders were somehow related to Christ but it was through His supposed descendants (a totally and thoroughly spurious claim) not through King David. But then I haven't read everything Mormon so who knows?

Anyway I'll try to find a reference tomorrow....too late right now.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:36 am

Is it so hard to believe the King David lineage thing when the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible clearly prophesies his future arrival within the Book of Genesis? Most likely the genealogical flowchart was stored in the crystalline matrix of the seer stone and only needed a wide-brimmed hat and the face of the prophet gazing into that hat to reveal the total lineage.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 am

HighMaintenance wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Where can I find info on Joseph's claim that he was descended from King David?

A family member was asking me today about the DNA test that I did and how we are somehow related to JS, therefore, since he was related to King David, as was Jesus, well, we are related to Jesus.

I'd also like to respond that it was quite fashionable way back when for the nobility types to pay the clergy for family relationships to biblical characters, but I can't find any good info on that, either.

Sigh
I found this (but I'll keep looking for you):
http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/David,_Pro ... _Last_Days
King David (c. 1000 B.C.) remains today one of the most renowned Old Testament figures. His personality, spiritual sensitivity, creative abilities, military victories, and leadership carried him to the pinnacle of popularity. He had the potential to become an ideal king, but his kingship deteriorated after his adultery with Bathsheba and his involvement in Uriah's death. However, prophecy states that a model ruler in the last days will be "raised up" from David's lineage.

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that "the throne and kingdom of David is to be taken from him and given to another by the name of David in the last days, raised up out of his lineage" (TPJS, p. 339). Elder Orson Hyde, in his dedicatory prayer on the Mount of Olives, October 24, 1841, prophesied that the Jews would return to Jerusalem and that in time a leader called David, "even a descendant from the loins of ancient David, [would] be their king" (HC 4:457).
Another link:
https://www.deilataylor.com/david-the-s ... last-days/
Joseph Smith may have named his son, David Hyrum Smith to take on this role:

At the time of his birth, it was intimated by old Mrs. Durphee and others that Joseph the Prophet said that he (David Hyrum, which name Joseph gave him before his death — see note 38, Turner: “When leaving for Carthage, the Prophet told Emma,’If the child is a boy, name him David Hyrum'”) was to be the David the bible speaks of to rule over Israel forever, which David spoken of most people took to be old king David. (Oliver B. Huntington journal, 1844 as quoted in Hyrum Andrus, Doctrinal Commentary on the Pearl of Great Price, p. 464, n. 109, as quoted in Rodney Turner, “The Two Davids” p. 252 of A Witness of Jesus Christ, the 1989 Sperry Symposium on the Old Testament)
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Avian Poster wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:36 am
Most likely the genealogical flowchart was stored in the crystalline matrix of the seer stone and only needed a wide-brimmed hat and the face of the prophet gazing into that hat to reveal the total lineage.
I think there must be a clear delineation between the ancient "smart rocks" that only did storage and retrieval along with some texting, and much more modern stones which could serve as intergalactic telepathy receivers and transmitters. While either stone could have functioned in regard to pinpointing genealogical flowchart data, other evidence shows that the more modern stone was used in this instance.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Thank you AllieOop!

I'm at a loss on this one. I cannot believe she's serious. SMH.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:58 am

I had heard the whispered tales of Joseph Smith's divine descent through European royalty back to Jesus Christ Himself and the implied stories of His wife and children. It's usually couched in hushed, earnest assurances of secret knowledge known only to devout Mormons since the rest of Christendom is toiling away in ignorance. It is simply a poor rumor that stands in blasphemous contrast to the platonic ideal that most of Christianity holds. From an objective standpoint, there is no record of Jesus of Nazareth being married. Peter was married and Paul was a bachelor from fairly obvious readings of the New Testament.

But rumors get in the weeds pretty quickly once Mormons insist that Jesus was sealed in the New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage to someone like Mary Magdelene. It's not too hard to find early LDS leaders proceeding into the likely plural wives of Jesus, but this is absolutely speculation that is "speaking as a man, not a prophet" even when it's recorded in the Journal of Discourses. I doubt that anyone after Bruce McConkie publicly speculated about this.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Joseph Smith may have named his son, David Hyrum Smith to take on this role:
Great self-fulfilling prophecy there.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League