A Reintroduction :)

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
AllieOop

A Reintroduction :)

Post by AllieOop » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:22 am

Wow, I remember writing my first introduction on NOM back in 2009. I was SO nervous and SO afraid that someone would find out I was joining this apostate website. My how times have changed, which at least for me is something I feel is a good thing.

I grew up living the Mormon fairy tale. Born and raised in Utah, graduated from Provo High, attended BYU where I met and married a returned missionary in the Provo temple and we had the perfect family (2 sons and 2 daughters). I was always so proud of my pioneer heritage on both sides and was extremely proud to be a Smith and an Eyring. Now...not so much...but I'm still proud of my heritage and I had wonderful parents.

My fairy tale life came to a screeching halt when my husband (who had suffered with mental illness issues for years....silently with only the 2 of us knowing) decided he no longer wanted to be married or be a father and left. He was serving as a High Counselor and I was in the YW's presidency at the time. Our oldest son was serving his mission.

Needless to say, my world turned upside down and that's an entirely other story (going through a divorce while active in the church was the first real chink in the armor for me regarding leaders being inspired and the church being the true church).

I was single for several years and fairly active in the single adult program. I had decided I'd raise my 3 youngest children and not remarry until they were all older. However, I met my future husband (not when I was looking as it usually happens), converted him to the church and we married a few years after we met. We were sealed in the temple a year after we married.

I was serving as the RS president in our ward when I discovered the truth about the church. Living in southern California and being active in the church during the time of Prop 8 was the beginning of the end for both my husband and myself. Then I googled some things about Joseph and polygamy....and you all know the rest of the story.

This was a very difficult and excruciatingly painful time for us. We faked it for a few years and tried to continue attending. Lots of pain and lots of experiences, but I know you've all had these too (or similar ones) or you wouldn't be here most likely.

I found NOM during that time and it literally saved my insanity. I thought I was all alone and the only one who knew the truth while still having to pretend I believed. I made some really great friends here whose experience and support got me through a lot of my struggles.

We no longer attend, but my two oldest children are still extremely TBM and so are other members of my family. So yes, I still feel in the middle of leaving and being involved.

Well...that's about it (be thankful that you got the Reader's Digest version :lol: )

I'm happy to be involved with this forum and look forward to getting to know all of you!

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

MoPag

Re: A Reintroduction :)

Post by MoPag » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi Allie. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm a single mom right now, and I like to hear stories about moms who survived single motherhood and moved on to better things. They way my "inspired" church leaders tried to "help" after XH left was a really big blow to my shelf too. They never prepared us for that in YW. :?

Thanks for being a moderator too. All of you guys who work to keep NOM running are awesome!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:05 am

MoPag wrote:Hi Allie. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm a single mom right now, and I like to hear stories about moms who survived single motherhood and moved on to better things. They way my "inspired" church leaders tried to "help" after XH left was a really big blow to my shelf too. They never prepared us for that in YW. :?

Thanks for being a moderator too. All of you guys who work to keep NOM running are awesome!!
Thank you! I love this forum and the people here :)

(And, I agree with your "never prepared us for that in YW" statement!! So, so true.)
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks for the re. I've always liked your posts--you've had so many good insights that you've contributed.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:14 am

The Beast wrote:Thanks for the re. I've always liked your posts--you've had so many good insights that you've contributed.
Thanks for the kind words, Beast....I feel exactly the same way about your posts :) Glad you're here!

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi AllieOop! Love the name! I enjoyed reading more of your story. I have enjoyed your posts over the years and happy to see you are back at 2.0!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:47 am

SeeNoEvil wrote:Hi AllieOop! Love the name! I enjoyed reading more of your story. I have enjoyed your posts over the years and happy to see you are back at 2.0!
Thank you! I always enjoy your posts too :)