Moderators, hosting, and other admin

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Moderators, hosting, and other admin

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 am

Moderators:

We felt it was necessary to get the board up and going before all the puzzle pieces were in place. As such, we are still working on getting a moderator team in place. Over the years there have been many wonderful people who volunteered their personal time, energy, and emotional capital to moderate. While many of us think it may not be necessary to moderate, it's important to keep the trolls, missionaries, and the ghost of Boyd K. Packer at bay and provide a respectful place here. A few people have been asked and responded and we need a few more. I just ask everyone who wishes to comment or make suggestions to be respectful and hope we can live in the present, to let the past be the past, and not spend unnecessary emotional energy dissecting the performance of prior moderators or the old board.

Board hosting:

At the moment, we are watching the site traffic to see what happens with bandwidth. We may in the future put up a pay pal link for anyone who may wish to contribute to keeping the lights on. We probably should come up with a succession plan as well in the event other hobbies and interests become more interesting over time.

Other admin:

We clearly don't know what we are doing and are open to any suggestions to make this place work. If we didn't feel it was necessary we would have taken up golf.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

SeeNoEvil

Re: Moderators, hosting, and other admin

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Thank you RR and all who joined to put together a place where we can all be together again. Everything looks great!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Red Ryder wrote:A few people have been asked and responded and we need a few more. I just ask everyone who wishes to comment or make suggestions to be respectful and hope we can live in the present, to let the past be the past, and not spend unnecessary emotional energy dissecting the performance of prior moderators or the old board.
I think along with you guys who've resurrected the board, alas and/or fh451 would be excellent (if they are interested in continuing). It would be nice to have their experience from the past board and I always felt they were excellent and fair moderators.
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:44 pm

I volunteer to represent the accused in any DC's.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

FreeBird

Post by FreeBird » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Korihor wrote:I volunteer to represent the accused in any DC's.
Hmmm...not sure I'd take you up on this offer. Things didn't turn out so well when you represented yourself against Alma. I wouldn't want to get struck dumb by the moderators or trampled under the feet of r/exmormon. ;)

*edited for clarity

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:25 pm

FreeBird wrote:
Hmmm...not sure I'd take you up on this offer. Things didn't turn out so well when you represented yourself against Alma. I wouldn't want to get struck dumb by the moderators or trampled under the feet of r/exmormon. ;)

*edited for clarity
I've had a few thousand years to buy up armies, navies and false lawyers who oppress.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:23 pm

I'll volunteer to put in some time to moderating if needed or desired.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:58 pm

I'll bring mild barley drinks to the DC's.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Korihor wrote:
FreeBird wrote:

*edited for clarity
I've had a few thousand years to buy up armies, navies and false lawyers who oppress.
But you have no credibility if you haven't reigned with blood and horror on this earth.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Zadok

Post by Zadok » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:06 pm

I may have to put you on full time retainer.
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

Zadok

Post by Zadok » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:07 pm

moksha wrote:I'll volunteer to put in some time to moderating if needed or desired.
Oh dear....this isn't going to end well.
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Let me know if you need me. I'm always on the board.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:43 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Forget that. I'm having cocktails after my DC.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:39 am

Corsair wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
As long as I can join you for cocktails afterward, I'll warm up with PBR during the DC. (I'm just the more-than-likely silent guy in the corner with the tall-boys.)

:lol:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:33 pm

moksha wrote:I'll volunteer to put in some time to moderating if needed or desired.
I vote for the penguin!
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Corsair wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
Drink them during the DC. Bring enough to share with all the suits. It might hurry it along.

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:28 pm

I just vote that we have equal representation of male:female moderators as much as possible with those who are available, willing, and would do a good job with it. I'm willing to be a moderator if need be.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:16 pm

trophywife26.2 wrote:I just vote that we have equal representation of male:female moderators as much as possible with those who are available, willing, and would do a good job with it. I'm willing to be a moderator if need be.
Respectfully asking here... Trophy can you explain your feelings on this? Anyone else please comment as well.

Here's where we are with moderators:

We have asked two mods from the old board to continue.
We have asked two people if they are interested (one still hasn't checked their pm's).
We have had six people volunteer either in a post or through pm.
Cwald and Mayan Elephant stated over at MDB (the former refugee camp) that they will moderate each other. :lol:

Assuming all 10 were to be mods the balance would be 6-4. Ten moderators seems like a lot to me. If we paired it down to 8 then we would have an equal balance. Is 8 too many?

Also, in regards to board succession planning, a suitcase with the nuclear launch codes exists so that a transfer could occur in the future in order to avoid having to build NOM 3.0.

I'd like to get moderators in place by early next week, insert forum rules, and maybe add some requested functions such as tap a talk, a cancel button, a resource page (think Reddit sidebar), and maybe some other ideas.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 am

For what it's worth... My opinion is I don't think it has to be a perfectly even ratio but it is good to have a healthy number of both as moderators so I'm glad Trophy said that.

I also don't think 8 is too many. Spread the work load. I felt so bad for Alas when she was overwhelmed with moderating and said it was like having a calling she couldn't be released from even after she asked. That was a long time ago but it stuck with me. Many hands make light work and you can adjust it later if need be. Plus Holidays are upon us.

(Thanks Alas, f145, and Jeffert for moderating on the other board and sorry if I got your numbers wrong f)

You guys did a great job with the board and I trust you to pick the right people.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:27 am

trophywife26.2 wrote:I just vote that we have equal representation of male:female moderators as much as possible with those who are available, willing, and would do a good job with it. I'm willing to be a moderator if need be.
I have to be honest, I normally assume everyone forum member is male and I don't truly know anyone's gender until they make it obvious. Could we have another Halloween unveiling with real faces for their avatar like in years past?
Red Ryder wrote: Here's where we are with moderators:

We have asked two mods from the old board to continue.
We have asked two people if they are interested (one still hasn't checked their pm's).
We have had six people volunteer either in a post or through pm.
Cwald and Mayan Elephant stated over at MDB (the former refugee camp) that they will moderate each other. :lol:

Assuming all 10 were to be mods the balance would be 6-4. Ten moderators seems like a lot to me. If we paired it down to 8 then we would have an equal balance. Is 8 too many?
How many mods did NOM 1.0 have?
Red Ryder wrote:Also, in regards to board succession planning, a suitcase with the nuclear launch codes exists so that a transfer could occur in the future in order to avoid having to build NOM 3.0.
As I recall, you laughed at the admin password.
Red Ryder wrote:I'd like to get moderators in place by early next week, insert forum rules, and maybe add some requested functions such as tap a talk, a cancel button, a resource page (think Reddit sidebar), and maybe some other ideas.
I have these items on my To Do list