GA´s know they are losing the fight

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Re: GA´s know they are losing the fight

Post by Newme » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:10 am
Newme wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:55 pm
dogbite wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 pm
https://wheatandtares.org/2017/03/28/mo ... sa-trends/

Confirms 72% are gone by age 20. That's in line with what is claimed for the 70s statement.
Where are they going? That’s my concern. I hope they can find their way between extremes of religious and leftist dogma.
What about right-wing dogma? Is that a concern?
Yeah, like quick to go to war for elites’ financial gain. But generally, more leftists ideologies are illogical, unethical and dogmatic.
Ie: Leftist insane ideology: “Gender depends on how you FEEL, rather than biological facts.
Or: “If you feel like having a baby, let’s call him/her a baby, but if you don’t FEEL like it, let’s call him/her “a parasite” and kill him/her simply because you chose not to use birthcontrol.”

One similarity between Leftist and Mormon ideologies: Emotional Reasoning Logical Fallacy. Again, I hope these young adults find their way between extreme insane ideologies that are being pushed at them.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Newme wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:00 pm
Ie: Leftist insane ideology: “Gender depends on how you FEEL, rather than biological facts.
Or: “If you feel like having a baby, let’s call him/her a baby, but if you don’t FEEL like it, let’s call him/her “a parasite” and kill him/her simply because you chose not to use birthcontrol.”
You keep using that term (facts). I don't think it means it means what you think it means.

Facts really aren't things that are based upon how you feel, what makes you feel better about yourself, what makes it easier to oppress others. Facts are things that exist separate from how you feel about them. You might try learning a few.

You might try learning a little bit of biological facts. And a little bit of sociological facts. And maybe even a little bit of historical and anthropological facts. Yes, that's a lot of different facts, but they're pretty interesting things.

Also, maybe a little teensy bit of compassion. Not a fact, but it's also a useful thing.

Transgender people really do exist. That's a recognized biological, physiological, psychological fact. If you want to learn about the wide variety of situations in that area, you might try starting with intersex conditions. Would you like to discuss the facts involved in some of those situations?

And your forced-birther nonsense is just that.

Are there any of these areas, of facts or feelings, that you would like to discuss? Or does it make you feel better just to fling poorly constructed insults and allegations?
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Newme

Post by Newme » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Jeffret,
You're proving my point... by engaging in emotional reasoning logical fallacy. Look it up.

fact: a thing that is indisputably the case
A person is born a male or female - with corresponding chromosomes that do not change no matter what genital mutilation is done.
"Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder."
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/mi ... sex-change

What I wonder, Jeffret, is why would you want to encourage behavior that is harmful? What is your goal in doing that?

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Newme wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 pm
Jeffret,
You're proving my point... by engaging in emotional reasoning logical fallacy. Look it up.

A person is born a male or female - with corresponding chromosomes that do not change no matter what genital mutilation is done.
"Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder."
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/mi ... sex-change

What I wonder, Jeffret, is why would you want to encourage behavior that is harmful? What is your goal in doing that?
Sorry, Newme, your feelings do not constitute facts. Nor unfortunately, do the feelings and the opinions of a few oddball folks you like to reference. McHugh's opinions are not well-supported by the data nor by anyone else who has looked at the data. He's had an oversized influence at Johns Hopkins but that is fading as more people recognize the data. Clearly he is driven by his prejudices to attack those he doesn't like.

Some further information on the topic:
McHugh Exposed

Here is HRC's response to McHugh's amici brief: https://assets.hrc.org//files/assets/re ... 1509230784
His
investment in these cases is puzzling, because McHugh’s research career has never touched on gender
identity or sexual orientation, nor does he appear to have clinical experience with LGBTQ patients.
Nonetheless, in early 2017, McHugh filed a brief in the Supreme Court of the United States arguing
against transgender student Gavin Grimm’s right to use gender-appropriate restrooms in his Gloucester,
VA high school. Listed as coauthors were diabetes researcher Paul Hruz and biostatistician Lawrence
Mayer; like McHugh, neither coauthor appears to have clinical or research experience with transgender
children or adults. This lack of expertise may explain why the brief itself is filled with misunderstandings
and misstatements about transgender children and teens.
The most concerning section of the brief is the assertion that conversion therapy—that is, a range of
practices intended to change a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity—is an appropriate response
to transgender youth. Every major medical and mental health organization, including the American
Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, the American College of Physicians, the
American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Psychoanalytic Association, the American School
Counselor Association, the American Psychological Association and the National Association of School
Psychologists, have explicitly rejected conversion therapy. Not only is there no evidence that these
practices work, research clearly shows that they cause long-lasting psychological harm, including the risk
of suicide (American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Adolescence, 2013; American College of
Physicians, 2015; American Psychoanalytic Association, 2012; American Psychological Association and
National Association of School Psychologists, 2015; American School Counselor Association, 2014). As
a result, nine states and the District of Columbia have enacted laws or regulations to protect minors from
conversion therapy..
Remarkably, the brief does not cite a single study on the safety or effectiveness of conversion therapy.
The only original report cited on the topic describes the approach of controversial practitioner Ken
Zucker—but presents no data on the results (Zucker, Wood, Singh, & Bradley, 2012). Indeed, the cited
paper admits that “the treatment literature is lacking in terms of rigorous comparative evaluations.”
Simply being a medical doctor or researcher does not make someone an authority on transgender children.
In the United States alone, dozens of experts have dedicated their careers to the health of transgender
children and adolescents, drawing on clinical experience and a growing body of evidence to guide
children and families. In contrast, Paul McHugh and his coauthors boast a total of zero peer-reviewed
research articles on transgender people of any age. It is not clear that they have so much as met a
transgender child.
Neither do the brief’s authors back their outdated, misleading and often false claims with references to
legitimate research.
Ah, I think we can see where his interest comes from: See Paul McHugh
As part of the USCCB's Review Board, pushed the idea that the Catholic sex abuse scandal was not about pedophilia but about “homosexual predation on American Catholic youth.”
He's got a tribal, religiously based interest in defending his beloved institution, an institution that has covered up lots of abuse.

And this article: Long shadow cast by psychiatrist on transgender issues finally recedes at Johns Hopkins

And here's a great overview about transgender people and related issues from the American Psychological Association, which uses data-based research to support and help transgender people: Transgender People, Gender Identity and Gender Expression
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Why do I encourage them?

Because I pay attention to the sum of data on the topic. I look for the broad consensus of studies and research. I look to the aggregate results, as collected and organized by the highly recognized American Psychological Association.

I don't look to cherry-pick my data and my citations based upon my pre-conceived notions. I don't stop as soon as I find one person who agrees with me. In fact, one many of these issues I've long sought out decent, rational opposing voices and had serious trouble finding any. (McHugh doesn't qualify as one of those, as noted above.)

But mostly, why do I encourage them? Because I try to listen to them and understand their lives and their situations. Instead of telling them what they experience, I try to listen and understand what they experience. Sure their experiences are different from mine, but that's how I learn and understand more.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Newme wrote:
Jeffret,
I did look it up. Just for you.

You're going to have to explain just how I'm engaging in emotional reasoning logical fallacy before I begin to take you the least bit seriously. Just because you've learned a few logical fallacy terms doesn't mean that's what is going on.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Newme wrote:
And this claim is where you are most clearly wrong. You simply don't understand the variations in biology and physiology that exist. Reality is not as simple and binary as you would like it to be.

This is why I invited you to discuss or investigate intersex conditions. The existence of intersex people clearly disproves your claim that "a person is born male or female". Depending upon how one defines the terms and what one includes, intersex people may be as common as 2% or as rare as 1 in 1500 (which is still pretty common). Intersex includes a variety of different conditions, some of which are chromosomal, disproving your claim that everyone "is born a male or female - with corresponding chromosomes".

For a really good overview of many biological aspects of intersex conditions, I'd recommend Between XX and XY: Intersexuality and the Myth of Two Sexes. It's kind of technical but pretty accessible by the layman.

From “How Sexually Dimorphic Are We?”, by Blackless, et al, in The American Journal of Human Biology.
“The belief that Homo sapiens is absolutely dimorphic with the respect to sex chromosome composition, gonadal structure, hormone levels, and the structure of the internal genital duct systems and external genitalia, derives from the platonic ideal that for each sex there is a single, universally correct developmental pathway and outcome. We surveyed the medical literature from 1955 to the present for studies of the frequency of deviation from the ideal male or female. We conclude that this frequency may be as high as 2% of live births. The frequency of individuals receiving “corrective” genital surgery, however, probably runs between 1 and 2 per 1,000 live births (0.1–0.2%).” Am. J. Hum. Biol. 12:151–166, 2000. © 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
A couple of other resources for learning more about intersex conditions and people:
Wikipedia: Intersex

The United States affiliate of the Organization Intersex International (OII)

Intersex Society of North America

Or if your interest leans more towards the fictional story, check out Middlesex: A Novel, which was featured on Oprah's Book Club a decade back.

(Yeah, I realize that perhaps this is far too much data and information, but I felt it might be useful to get a whole bunch of it out there at once. I'd be willing to pick any one piece of it that interests you, or anyone else, further and dive into it.)

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:32 pm

(Sorry for the thread-jack, but I get annoyed when people try to spout unfounded, prejudiced accusations. I feel it is important to search for truth and facts when it involves the oppressed in our society and to stand up for them with accurate data. If a moderator wants to split this out to its own thread, I'd be happy with that.)

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:32 pm
(Sorry for the thread-jack, but I get annoyed when people try to spout unfounded, prejudiced accusations. I feel it is important to search for truth and facts when it involves the oppressed in our society and to stand up for them with accurate data. If a moderator wants to split this out to its own thread, I'd be happy with that.)
Please don't apologize. I was already with you on this topic but after your posts I'm a more educated with you. Thank you.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Newme wrote:
dogbite wrote:

Confirms 72% are gone by age 20. That's in line with what is claimed for the 70s statement.
Where are they going? That’s my concern. I hope they can find their way between extremes of religious and leftist dogma.
I think they'll be just fine. Most people live in that very wide gap between extremes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:10 am

Anon70 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 pm
Jeffret wrote:
Please don't apologize. I was already with you on this topic but after your posts I'm a more educated with you. Thank you.
I agree. Another thank you.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:17 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 pm
Newme wrote:
dogbite wrote:

I think they'll be just fine. Most people live in that very wide gap between extremes.
I have frequently mentioned my failure to raise Mormon kids. But I have succeeding in raising some good critical thinkers. I find they are quite good at looking at issues from multiple perspectives, and like Jeffret mentions, seeking quality information that challenges their preconceptions. They'll be just fine.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:42 am

EternityIsNow wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:11 pm
Something has happened in the last 5 years or so, and it's changed the game for the church, probably for religion in general in the West.
There's no way I could get a peek at anything larger than my tiny crack through the door but it does feel like something is different. With the few kids I know their issues aren't things you'd think of as being facilitated by the information age, their issues are not peep stones and polygamy. The church is just failing to connect with them.

Maybe it is information age related. The world can be accessed via a small rectangle that fits in their pocket.

The church's alternative appears to be to double down on getting the youth the run themselves to death on the hamster wheel.

Church leaders: The youth leave church because they aren't doing enough FHE, seminary, mutual, scripture study, duty to god, missions, etc.
Youth: We hate church because there's too much FHE, seminary, mutual, scripture study, duty to god, missions, etc.

The cure from the leader's perspective is the very thing that drives some youth away.

Church could be a place where social bonds are made... and maybe you learn something about the church while you are there but the leaders want it to be a place where you learn about the church... and maybe make a social bond while you're there.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:32 pm

nibbler wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:42 am

There's no way I could get a peek at anything larger than my tiny crack through the door but it does feel like something is different. With the few kids I know their issues aren't things you'd think of as being facilitated by the information age, their issues are not peep stones and polygamy. The church is just failing to connect with them.

Maybe it is information age related. The world can be accessed via a small rectangle that fits in their pocket.

The church's alternative appears to be to double down on getting the youth the run themselves to death on the hamster wheel.

Church leaders: The youth leave church because they aren't doing enough FHE, seminary, mutual, scripture study, duty to god, missions, etc.
Youth: We hate church because there's too much FHE, seminary, mutual, scripture study, duty to god, missions, etc.

The cure from the leader's perspective is the very thing that drives some youth away.

Church could be a place where social bonds are made... and maybe you learn something about the church while you are there but the leaders want it to be a place where you learn about the church... and maybe make a social bond while you're there.
This is very insightful. Well said!
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:57 pm

nibbler wrote:

Let me quote one of those youth you are talking about here: "Church is BORING!" (I may or may not be quoting one of my kids, and I may or may not have thought to myself: You know, they're right.)

You'd think that a being who has the power to create worlds without end would be able to make their "only true and living church on the face of the earth" a little less BORING, eh?

nibbler wrote:
You might have a point here, but I want to throw one little wrench into it in that: The church wants you to learn about their made-up version of the church... in church.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:53 pm

nibbler wrote:
EternityIsNow wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:11 pm
Something has happened in the last 5 years or so, and it's changed the game for the church, probably for religion in general in the West.

These are the very reasons two out of three of my gen X kids left the church. One daughter felt disconnected with all the useless busywork, disconnected socially, unfulfilled spiritually, and just dropped out, without ever even questioning if it was "true" or not. The other daughter felt unfulfilled spiritually and started searching for what was missing. One big thing for her was the way women are treated and lack of a feminine Devine. She was socially very connected, and is still in touch with her ward friends from highschool, but the busy work was not meeting her spiritual needs. Her search for especially feminist spirituality led her to paganism.

So, if the church lost 2/3 of gen X, I would only guess that the percentage has gone up, because the church is just doubling down on the same old problem. And just as an estimate, I think of the friends of my children, fellow gen Xers, about 2/3 of them are out.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Newme wrote:
dogbite wrote:

Thanks- I think you’re right. However in some universities and places of employment, there has been such peer pressure to go along with ideologies that people are influenced by preference qualification. But as you suggested, it’s been estimated that about 70% of leftists are just pretending to avoid getting fired, bad grades etc.

alas

Post by alas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:02 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:10 am
Anon70 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 pm
Jeffret wrote:
I agree. Another thank you.
And Jeffret, thank you for continuing to try to teach those who are willing to learn and continuing to argue with the bigoted. Myself, I run out of patience with those who refuse to see outside of their prejudices and think we are the ones using emotional reasoning. :roll:

alas

Post by alas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:01 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Newme wrote:

Thanks- I think you’re right. However in some universities and places of employment, there has been such peer pressure to go along with ideologies that people are influenced by preference qualification. But as you suggested, it’s been estimated that about 70% of leftists are just pretending to avoid getting fired, bad grades etc.
Newme, has it ever occurred to you that universities are "far left" because that is where the science and facts take them? I got my education back in the 80s and some of your "facts" had already been proven wrong. Your info is outdated, your sources are biased, and your human compassion is missing.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 pm

I have two of those younger generation and I can tell you, at least, where the older one is going. He's going out in the community and marching in the gay pride parade. He's going to the orient to take care of elephants and teach English.

The younger one is in college, but it's always been good dream to care for cheetahs.

So, the way I see it is the younger generation are getting off their duffs and actually doing something to make the world a little bit better, not just sitting in church learning about how it is bad and scaring themselves into staying in their homes with the doors locked tight.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren