How do I teach primary?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
User avatar
Advocate
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:14 am

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by Advocate » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:25 pm
shadow wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:20 pm
Your ward still uses volunteerism for chapel cleaning? My stake has long resorted to voluntoldism with a healthy dose of public shaming. At least it's organized in a nice excel sheet.
Luckily, yes. I am largely immune to public shame. I just sit there as the EQ Pres and HP Group Leader vainly scans the assemblage of priesthood holders looking for guilt and duty to coax believers into raising their hands and claiming their blessings. Admittedly, many ward members seem sincere in their enjoyment of temple service. Many of them happily serve as ordinance workers in the local Gilbert temple. Getting a chance to clean the temple is almost an added bonus.
I find smart phones are a great way to avoid public shame. Nobody wants to call out the guy that is busy playing on his phone and playing on your phone gives you the added bonus of avoiding eye contact! Public shaming only works if you feel ashamed. Simply ignoring it by focusing on other things (especially easy for me during NFL season) is a great solution.

User avatar
trophywife26.2
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by trophywife26.2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Candy, wordsearches with church words, and hangman. :lol:
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

User avatar
slavereeno
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am
Location: QC, AZ

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by slavereeno » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:33 pm

MoPag wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:05 am
Bring treats, play games, and just teach them to be good, kind non-judgmental people.
MoPag, You are speaking my language with the Simpsons pics!!

User avatar
slavereeno
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am
Location: QC, AZ

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by slavereeno » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks to all who posted here, this is great advice. I will be teaching this Sunday and I will be looking for a way to teach them a good principle and if possible one related to the lesson.

User avatar
trophywife26.2
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by trophywife26.2 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:35 pm
Thanks to all who posted here, this is great advice. I will be teaching this Sunday and I will be looking for a way to teach them a good principle and if possible one related to the lesson.
If you are doing the candy and wordsearches and anyone makes any comments just say: I know! I'm not very good at this. They should release me. :lol:
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

User avatar
slavereeno
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am
Location: QC, AZ

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by slavereeno » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Return and Report

Well I made it through. My teaching companion is kind of a chill guy so that makes it easier. The lesson was about the succession of BY. I asked the kids about the story and they related it, I neither confirmed nor denied their answer. We spent the balance talking about the mechanics of succession and telling unrelated stories. I wish I could say I felt good about it, but I am still struggling to feel right about teaching this stuff through silent assent. :( Part of what makes me sad is that I am actually pretty good with kids. The crazy stuff they do makes me smile and laugh, being a mentor is something I value. (Probably why I have been in scouts so much) It hurts to think I may be a cog in this machine.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it was helpful.

Reuben
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by Reuben » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Oh, bleah. The succession crisis, especially BY's transfiguration, is probably one of the most verifiable examples of outright making crap up. He gave a good speech and won in a landslide. Didn't consider himself a prophet. End of story? Nope, we need to spice it up with a good myth, so HE WAS VERILY BROTHER JOSEPH.

Double bleah. You know what you should do? Post here about every lesson, a week in advance. We can work out a way to make the lessons more honest, which would benefit you and the kids.
You were born to trust, not fear. It is your birthright.

User avatar
trophywife26.2
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by trophywife26.2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Return and Report

Well I made it through. My teaching companion is kind of a chill guy so that makes it easier. The lesson was about the succession of BY. I asked the kids about the story and they related it, I neither confirmed nor denied their answer. We spent the balance talking about the mechanics of succession and telling unrelated stories. I wish I could say I felt good about it, but I am still struggling to feel right about teaching this stuff through silent assent. :( Part of what makes me sad is that I am actually pretty good with kids. The crazy stuff they do makes me smile and laugh, being a mentor is something I value. (Probably why I have been in scouts so much) It hurts to think I may be a cog in this machine.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it was helpful.
I taught youth SS for a year as a straight up atheist. I was not emotionally ready to deal with the consequences of walking away at that time. I understand that feeling of struggle with the silent assent. What worked for me/helped me feel better about it was to choose a good message I thought youth of the church needed to hear and just keep saying it every single week, weaving it in to try and have it be so if they remembered anything, they'd remember that one thing.

I tried to make that message: God loves you just the way he made you, just the way you are.

It was the tiniest thing I could do to maybe, maybe help a kid I thought was LGBTQ in my class. Plus also a pretty good message for anyone. Maybe you could try to come up with a theme of your own. One good thing you want the kids to learn from you.

I'm glad to hear your partner is chill and good luck going through the rest of your time in the calling.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

User avatar
slavereeno
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am
Location: QC, AZ

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by slavereeno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 am

Last week was the first pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley. I just focused on trivia about the trek west, stuff like How many men? How many women?How many wagons etc.

This week is about the first year in the valley. It includes the cricket miracle. The story says the seagulls ate the crickets, went to the river barfed up the crickets then came back to eat more.

User avatar
Jeffret
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by Jeffret » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 am

I'd say skip the unfounded folklore and try to help the kids understand what it would've been like to have lived then. If you live in the Salt Lake area, talk about how things were different then and what it would've been like to arrive. If you live outside that area, generalize it away from a specific area and talk about moving to a new area or even what it was like long ago in your area.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

User avatar
FiveFingerMnemonic
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:50 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:37 am

Oh man, I would have asked why the pioneers didn't eat the crickets like the indians did. Manna from heaven.

User avatar
MerrieMiss
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 am

Jeffret wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 am
I'd say skip the unfounded folklore and try to help the kids understand what it would've been like to have lived then. If you live in the Salt Lake area, talk about how things were different then and what it would've been like to arrive. If you live outside that area, generalize it away from a specific area and talk about moving to a new area or even what it was like long ago in your area.
That sounds like a great lesson.

User avatar
No Tof
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:54 am

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by No Tof » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:16 am

Late to the party but enjoyed the advice offered.

Having the opportunity to influence for good the young minds in your ward is indeed a gift. I hope you find ways to give these young folk a sense that they have power to direct their own lives.

Please keep us informed of your successes and challenges.

Use the 'Givens' as a model. Tell them what you think without stepping on the Brethern's toes and all should be cool.

Good luck.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

User avatar
NOMinally Mormon
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 pm

As a substitute, I did a lot of hangman. Also would go around the room and let everyone talk about their last vacation, how school was going, their families, whatever they wanted to talk about. We even did pushups and jumping jacks to burn off energy. The last time I taught, the kids ran out of class to their parents shouting, "guess what! We didn't learn anything today!"

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 2824
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 pm

No matter what, Primary should not be about grooming the kids to obey Church Authorities.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
slavereeno
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am
Location: QC, AZ

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by slavereeno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm

I love the suggestions! I have been trying to teach principles and not necessarily the black and white on the pages.
Jeffret wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 am
generalize it away from a specific area and talk about moving to a new area
This would have been great since there was a kid that just moved in this last week in the class.
FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:37 am
Oh man, I would have asked why the pioneers didn't eat the crickets like the indians did. Manna from heaven.
Love this! Yes, "Well God sent them crickets to eat so they wouldn't starve, but since they were too good for that and he eventually got sick of their griping, he sent the gulls to clean up the mess.
No Tof wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:16 am
Having the opportunity to influence for good the young minds in your ward is indeed a gift.
I am trying to see it that way. It does keep me out of gospel doctrine which is a huge plus!

User avatar
slavereeno
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am
Location: QC, AZ

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by slavereeno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 pm

NOMinally Mormon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 pm
As a substitute, I did a lot of hangman.
I haven't resorted to hangman yet, although I teach far more science then I should...
moksha wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 pm
No matter what, Primary should not be about grooming the kids to obey Church Authorities.
This.

It ended up being my team-teacher's week to teach and he focused on the "obey the sabbath" part of the lesson. Except for the occasional joke about marijuana I kept my yapper shut. I did suggest that we shouldn't judge others' observance of the Sabbath at the end though.

User avatar
Jeffret
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by Jeffret » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 am

slavereeno wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm
It does keep me out of gospel doctrine which is a huge plus!
Definitely. That's s what I strongly found after being released from years of callings that kept me out of GD and EQ. It was better being elsewhere and I couldn't stand the adult classes anymore. So I finally left.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

User avatar
Jeffret
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by Jeffret » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 am

slavereeno wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 pm
NOMinally Mormon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 pm
As a substitute, I did a lot of hangman.
I haven't resorted to hangman yet, although I teach far more science then I should.
Should? What is this "should? How does one determine it?
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

User avatar
slavereeno
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am
Location: QC, AZ

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by slavereeno » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:47 am

Jeffret wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 am
slavereeno wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 pm
NOMinally Mormon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 pm
As a substitute, I did a lot of hangman.
I haven't resorted to hangman yet, although I teach far more science then I should.
Should? What is this "should? How does one determine it?
One determines it by the complaints one gets from his co-teacher or the kids' parents. I have taught a little about relativity and the big bang. My co-teacher "explained" to me that the big bang violated the law of conservation of matter so it was obviously out, and that God organized already existing matter to create the universe. :roll: I was about to ask him if the earth was flat or round, but I was afraid of the answer I would get.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests