I heard god's voice today.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
No Tof

I heard god's voice today.

Post by No Tof » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 am

she said, "it is a beautiful calm Sunday morning so get thee onto the lake."

Who am I to argue with her?

I listened when I heard the book of mormon is true so go on a mission.
I listened when I heard her say this is the woman you should marry.
I have sensed god's presence in my life and it gave me confidence to move forward when difficult choices had to be made.
I heard that same voice tell me the church isn't true a couple of years ago.

I am left with the idea that god is either my mind's voice telling me what I want/need to hear to help me survive or that god has set up an automatic reply loop that basically does the same thing. Seems impossible to tell the difference.

What does god say to you these days?
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Reuben

Re: I heard god's voice today.

Post by Reuben » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:37 am

Recently, it tried to tell me why something was happening. Its theory ascribed intention to randomness and tried to flatter me into buying into its explanation, so I told it to shut up and go away.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:50 am

I'm a little torn on this one. I feel like I heard inspiration to not take offense and something innocuous that my wife said the other day. Then this morning I felt inspired to add a shot of vanilla flavor to my coffee. We'll see where this takes me.

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 am

It told me to take another wife. I dont think it knows whats best for me.

Josephsmith

Post by Josephsmith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 am

Emower wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 am
It told me to take another wife. I dont think it knows whats best for me.
I think you should go for it.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 am

I guess I started this thread off joking about how I have been able redefine those experiences that are still real to me, and believe did help at the time which now seem to be my own mind doing it’s job.

Many times I really felt god was setting things up to help me in my callings etc and now I see other plausible explanations.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 am

FFDP wrote: ♫ ♫ I heard from God today, and she sounded just like me ♫ ♫
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am

No Tof wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 am
I guess I started this thread off joking about how I have been able redefine those experiences that are still real to me, and believe did help at the time which now seem to be my own mind doing it’s job.

Many times I really felt god was setting things up to help me in my callings etc and now I see other plausible explanations.
That's the danger of teaching members that god speaks to us and that we're entitled to personal revelation. It can breed a lot of crazy things in the heads of people like Brian David Mitchell (an extreme example) or your bishop and parents (a less extreme example). Who's to say the person receiving personal revelation is right or wrong?

Fortunately I haven't made any significant mistakes in my life as a result of answered prayer or perceived personal revelation. I think it's because I spend far to long waiting for a clear obvious answer that when it doesn't come, I'm forced to think more about the decision which in turn allows me to make ok decisions. Then as I feel ok about the decision, that would become my answer and I would proceed. I also tend to over analyze and think through way too many options which sometimes becomes a trip hazard (like making vacation plans or buying shoes) but most of the time results in a well thought out decision. I always figured that God gave you a brain so he expected you to use it. Why bother him with trivial questions if he gave you the tool to make your own decisions?

My beliefs have changed drastically and I lean heavily towards self preservation. What I can't seem to get completely rid of is the occasional feeling to need to turn to God for help with something. It just seems easier to get answers from God than to have to think for myself. Only now I'm okay if God's voice in my head sounds robotic! Or sometimes like Wanda Sykes.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Isiah 40:9 is probably the only scripture that I still take heed to...at least the first part:
O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain;
Or the lake, or the west desert. So I took heed last Sunday and headed west out to Antelope Island on the GSL. It started as a cloudy winter morning, but turned out to be glorious!
IMG_8765.JPG
IMG_8765.JPG (128.63 KiB) Viewed 7175 times
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Did she mention me?

a1986

Post by a1986 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 am

No Tof wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 am

I am left with the idea that god is either my mind's voice telling me what I want/need to hear to help me survive or that god has set up an automatic reply loop that basically does the same thing. Seems impossible to tell the difference.
I've definitely toyed with this idea. lol "reply loop." You're right it's hard to tell the difference. I'm still working on this one. . .

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:45 am

Brent wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:15 pm
Did she mention me?
Actually I think something about a nice and naughty list came up.

Oops crap that was Santa.
Rumi