Wendy Watson Nelson - New 1st Lady of Mormonism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Not Buying It

Wendy Watson Nelson - New 1st Lady of Mormonism

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 am

Buckle in, folks, I expect we are going to see an unusually visible, active, high profile Prophet's wife. The marriage and family therapist who had no problems dispensing wisdom on sacred intimacy to Church members even though she herself had not been married at the time, author of "What Would a Holy Woman Do?" who evidently considers herself eminently qualified to tell other women in the Church whether or not they are holy, author of the "Not Even Once Club" who evidently thinks that it is feasible to teach kids that they can never make mistakes, not even once - she is the new 1st lady of Mormonism. Best friends with Sheri Dew. Married an 81 year old man when she was a never-married 57 year old, and while it isn't polite to question her motivations a two word phrase "g- d-" comes to mind that isn't nice to say but isn't swearing.

She now has the most powerful position a woman is allowed in Mormondom. Given her past self-promotion and proclivity for setting herself up as a light to the rest of us, what do you think she is going to do with her new position? I expect she is going to play it for all she is worth. Expect a deluge of books, appearances, interviews, what have you. I have found her output thus far to be pretty obnoxious and holier-than-thou, I expect more of the same.

Mormonism has a new queen.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

wtfluff

Re: Wendy Watson Nelson - New 1st Lady of Mormonism

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 am

GOMI!!!

[ P U K E ]
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 am

I'm doubtful she'll change much. It's a hide-bound organization, especially at the top, and she and her husband are staunch conservatives.

The big changes are that she's alive and healthy with a good mind and a good speaker. From that perspective, yes we'll see more of her. They'll travel together, at least some of the time. They'll be photographed together. They'll both be welcomed where they go. She'll speak at some of the events. Maybe even again at the women's session. How long has it been since we had a First Lady of Mormonism that was capable of doing those things? Statistics are against anyone doing that to the age the church leaders continue to direct the Church, let alone both of them retaining those capacities. Her relative youth makes that more likely.

It would be interesting if the Nelsons' leadership brings in new patterns for increased involvement of the president's wife. It's hard to believe the other powers would like to she her gaining more recognition and power, even just a little. But, it might start to change some patterns of at least some women being more visible and recognized.

RMN is quite old, at 93. I have no idea what his health and vigor have been lately. It's unlikely he'll last long in the top position. Will he be there long enough to make much of a difference? Does he have the energy to do so? If he isn't, WWN won't make much of an impact. Would she go out in his place? Seems unlikely.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 am

Jeffret wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 am
I'm doubtful she'll change much. It's a hide-bound organization, especially at the top, and she and her husband are staunch conservatives.
Jeffret, I think you are absolutely correct, she will have no impact whatsoever on the organization itself. She won't change Church practice or policy much. She certainly won't expand the role of women in the Church, I think she is way more interested in promoting herself than promoting the cause of greater equality for women in the Church.

But I do think she will be more visible. I do think she will use her position as Prophet's wife as a platform to promote her (in my opinion toxic) views. We will see a lot more of her than we have other President's wives, particularly since she is so much younger than he is. And her ideas will be given more credence among the membership than they otherwise would.

I for one am not happy that she has a substantially increased position for promoting herself and her rigid, zealot, self-righteous ideas.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 am

Not Buying It wrote:She now has the most powerful position a woman is allowed in Mormondom.
She was called to be the Relief Society President? :lol:
Jeffret wrote:RMN is quite old, at 93. I have no idea what his health and vigor have been lately. It's unlikely he'll last long in the top position.
Wait... Are you talking about sex here?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 am
Jeffret wrote:RMN is quite old, at 93. I have no idea what his health and vigor have been lately. It's unlikely he'll last long in the top position.
Wait... Are you talking about sex here?
Well, no, but I have no idea whether he takes or prefers the top or bottom position (or any other for that matter). Or her preferences either, though I admit I still kind of wonder. Given their past pronouncements on the topic, I doubt they use very many different ones.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks for bringing this up NBI! I've been think about her impending reign and its has me pretty uneasy. Mormon women are so starving for a spiritual identity that they will latch on to anything. She will be their new queen, and that is going to suck for everybody.

I propose we call her Aunt Wendy. She referred to herself as our aunt once during a very awkward fireside. I want to call her Aunt Wendy in homage to The Handmaids Tale. The Aunts in The Handmaids Tale were a class of women who were given power over other women in a dystopian patriarchy. Their main job was to brainwash the women under them into complying with the horrific demands of the patriarchy.

So yeah, Aunt Wendy.
Aunts.png
Aunts.png (193.37 KiB) Viewed 30349 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 am

Is Wendy's participation really a valid concern?

I can't think of a modern day Mormon Prophet's wife who has participated at all in any significant way other than making donuts for the boys while they are away at the GC Priesthood Session.

Can anyone even name the last 5 wives of the prophet? Maggy Hinckley is the only one I can think of.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:55 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 am

I can't think of a modern day Mormon Prophet's wife who has participated at all in any significant way other than making donuts for the boys while they are away at the GC Priesthood Session.

Can anyone even name the last 5 wives of the prophet? Maggy Hinckley is the only one I can think of.
Yep, it sure is a valid concern. There has never been a Mormon Prophet's wife like Wendy Watson Nelson. Before her, they had all spent lifetimes at their husband's sides, deferential and quiet in the background where a good Mormon wife should be, staying home with the kids while her husband attended a gazillion meetings. The wife of one of the Brethren generally is relegated to a supporting role without getting a lot of attention.

But Sister Nelson, well, she was already publishing books and making a name for herself before she latched onto him. And her books weren't just the bland quiet pablum other wives of general authorities might have published in the past, she sells a rigid form of Mormon zealotry that prescribes to women what they should do if they want to be holy, tells young children "not even once", and even goes into the bedroom to tell us all what sacred intimacy is.

That's my point. She isn't like the others who came before her. She didn't marry a young man who became an apostle, she married an apostle - does anyone think she really would have married a man that old if he wasn't an apostle? She knew she was raising her visibility considerably by doing so. No Prophet's wife before her ever stepped into the spotlight, they stayed in the shadows where they were expected to be, off to the side. But you can bet Sister Nelson is stepping into the spotlight, and she will use it to promote her Puritanical ideas.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:10 am

Red Ryder wrote:

Francis Monson.

But agreed. She will be invisible or only there for photo ops just like heavenly mother.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:10 am
Red Ryder wrote:

Francis Monson.

But agreed. She will be invisible or only there for photo ops just like heavenly mother.
I agree BUT Aunty Wendy is a self promoter (as others have said) and she is comes across as a huge know it all. She will push herself into the spotlight wherever she can IMO. I think she’ll even use hubby’s age as justification.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

Dantzel is rolling in her grave.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:53 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Not for the men in the church. But it could be for the women. If she really puts herself out there-turns "wife of the prophet" into a pseudo-calling-she could have a big impact on the women of the church. And as NBI has pointed out, she has proven to be a vocal, harsh zealot. Any influence from her is going to ramp up the feelings inadequacy among the women of the church. And we sure as sh*t don't need that. You NOM men think your wives are going to feel any happier when all their RS friends start hero worshiping the wife of a prophet?
Red Ryder wrote:

Hmmm...I got Francis, Maggy and Cmailla, but I know I'm missing some. And I think Maggy wrote a book or something. But I don't think any of them were vocal zealots with energy to spare.

Also try to think about it from a Mormon woman's perspective. I doubt most Mormon women could tell you the names of the current RS presidency. They know those women have no real power. The only way a Mormon woman can get power is to marry it. So the most powerful Mormon woman is the one married to the most powerful Mormon man.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Bring on the crazy. 2018 might just be interesting after all.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:46 pm

I will bet she has been writing like a maniac the last couple years- with lots of stuff just waiting to be released once she is the Queen Bee.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:01 pm

That's my point. She isn't like the others who came before her. She didn't marry a young man who became an apostle, she married an apostle - does anyone think she really would have married a man that old if he wasn't an apostle? She knew she was raising her visibility considerably by doing so. No Prophet's wife before her ever stepped into the spotlight, they stayed in the shadows where they were expected to be, off to the side. But you can bet Sister Nelson is stepping into the spotlight, and she will use it to promote her Puritanical ideas.
Nelson may fancy herself very high profile and ask for a lot of media time to get her face in front of rank and file Mormon women. But here's the irony -- She markets herself as very conservative, one who constantly promulgates the idea that women must remain silently and submissively at home. Her message is: "Do as I say, not as I do." And, that is going to be her downfall, because devout Mormon women will eventually wonder why she isn't silently at home instead of doing all the media appearances.
Remember the RSP Julie Beck and her noxious "Mothers who know" speech? She was photographed out and about all the time, welcoming Pres. Bush and other dignataries on their visits to SLC, appearing on interviews on the Lord's channel, KSL, and making headlines. She tried to be high profile, but when push comes to shove, everyone knew that she was just an appendage, like all Mormon women. Just an appendage, with no voice of her own. The same will be true with Sis. Nelson. She'll only have as much face time, KSL interviews, and book tours as she is given permission. If she has too much of a voice, then rank-and-file members start to wonder why they cannot have a voice -- and the church authorities will not tolerate that. JMO - Wndr.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Ok, ok, I see all of your POV's and concerns but what dynamics are at play here?

Here's my thoughts:

The 15 ladies in the Apostles Wife Club get sick and tired of being invisible home makers. They make plans. Starting with many years ago, when they found and recruited Wendy, introduced her to RMN knowing he would fall for her contagious smile, her GOMI standards, and her long underwear. It worked!

They get married while she secretly stays in love with Sherri Dew in a faux lesbian relationship. She stays behind the scenes at first, slowly unleashing her presence with the cute and lovable "Not Even Once Club" pablum printed in the Friend Magazine.

From there she continues up the Mormon Doctrine Hierarchy and into God Ordained Marital Intimacy in order to capture the hearts and virgin minds of the unseasoned recently married young adults who are still trying to figure out sex.

Sounds familiar so far, right?

They say timing is everything. Monson passes away in January 2018. RMN becomes prophet at 93. The Apostles Wife Club has strategically placed their Women's Power in the hands of Aunt Wendy. Ironically, the first thing she does is start the pillow talk. No you perverts, not that kind of pillow talk. She begins to whisper nightly into RMN's good ear, "Ordain Women! Ordain Women! Ordain the Women!!" Every night this continues for two long years. Then an amazing thing happens. Yes folks, RMN starts to talk about revelation he has been given by the Spirit. Conveniently he subconsciously recognizes her soft spoken voice and mistakes it as The Spirit.

In the April 2020 Women's session of General Conference the camera pans in for a close up. He suddenly goes off script and announces that he's received revelation that Women will receive the Priesthood and that 6 women Apostles will be called to replace the 6 oldest male Apostles.

RMN remains the prophet until his death in November 2020. An autopsy is performed and the cause of death is listed as choking on funeral potatoes. Suspicions loom large over Wendy, the Bednars, and Elder Rasband. Investigators search their recipe boxes and interview family and friends who confirm none of the above mentioned suspects could actually cook.

Sister Bednar then becomes Prophetess of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She calls Wendy as First Counselor, and her husband David as 2nd Counselor. Mormons everywhere rejoice in the One True Church and the blessings of Revelation.
Last edited by Red Ryder on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm
Ok, ok, I see all of your POV's and concerns but what dynamics are at play here?

Here's my thoughts:

The 15 ladies in the Apostles Wife Club get sick and tired of being invisible home makers. They make plans. Starting with many years ago, when they found and recruited Wendy, introduced her to RMN knowing he would fall for her contagious smile, her GOMI standards, and her long underwear. It worked!

They get married while she secretly stays in love with Sherri Dew in a faux lesbian relationship. She stays behind the scenes at first, slowly unleashing her presence with the cute and lovable "Not Even Once Club" pablum printed in the Friend Magazine.

From there she continues up the Mormon Doctrine Hierarchy and into God Ordained Marital Intimacy in order to capture the hearts and virgin minds of the unseasoned recently married young adults.

They say timing is everything. Monson passes away in January 2018. RMN becomes prophet at 93. The Apostles Wife Club has strategically placed their Women's Power in the hands of Aunt Wendy. Ironically, the first thing she does is start the pillow talk. No you perverts, not that kind of pillow talk. She begins to whisper nightly into RMN's good ear, "Ordain Women! Ordain Women!" Every night this continues for two long years. Then an amazing thing happens. Yes folks, RMN starts to talk about revelation he has been given by the Spirit. Conveniently he subconsciously recognizes her soft spoken voice and mistakes it as The Spirit.

In the April 2020 Women's session of General Conference the camera pans in for a close up. He suddenly goes off script and announces that he's received revelation that Women will receive the Priesthood and that 6 women Apostles will be called to replace the 6 oldest male Apostles.

RMN remains the prophet until his death in November 2020. An autopsy is performed and the cause of death is listed as choking on funeral potatoes. Suspicions loom large over Wendy, the Bednars, and Elder Rasband. Investigators search their recipe boxes and interview family and friends who confirm none of the above mentioned suspects could actually cook.

Sister Bednar then becomes Prophetess of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She calls Wendy as First Counselor, and her husband David as 2nd Counselor. Mormons everywhere rejoice in the One True Church and the blessings of Revelation.
This is the best thing I have ever read! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should Sherrie and Wendy's cute couple name be Shendy, or Werrie? :?:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm

MoPag wrote:Should Sherrie and Wendy's cute couple name be Shendy, or Werrie? :?:
Close. It's a secret combination of their new names received in the temple. It's too sacred to say over the internet but who cares right?

It's "Naomucy".

Naomi and Lucy.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 am

Here's my thoughts:

From there she continues up the Mormon Doctrine Hierarchy and into God Ordained Marital Intimacy in order to capture the hearts and virgin minds of the unseasoned recently married young adults who are still trying to figure out sex.

They say timing is everything. Monson passes away in January 2018. RMN becomes prophet at 93. The Apostles Wife Club has strategically placed their Women's Power in the hands of Aunt Wendy. Ironically, the first thing she does is start the pillow talk. No you perverts, not that kind of pillow talk. She begins to whisper nightly into RMN's good ear, "Ordain Women! Ordain Women! Ordain the Women!!" Every night this continues for two long years. Then an amazing thing happens. Yes folks, RMN starts to talk about revelation he has been given by the Spirit. Conveniently he subconsciously recognizes her soft spoken voice and mistakes it as The Spirit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hahahahaha !! This is priceless. One of the funniest things I've read here. RR, you've outdone yourself. I'm saving this hilarity in my "humor" file on my computer. Thank you so much for the day brightener. ROFL !!! :D :D :D :D - Wndr.