Blaming the Culture

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

Re: Blaming the Culture

Post by slavereeno » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks to everyone who posted here, it really does help me as I sort this out myself and as I have conversations with the TBMs that I have outed too.
Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm
The “culture” argument only works if the Prophet doesn’t receive revelation, and if the doesn’t, then the Church isn’t what it claims to be. It’s a lose-lose position for a member to take.
This is what I keep trying to explain, sometimes I feel like they aren't really listening to my words.
Reuben wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm
Many members end up whittling the core down to basic protestant Christianity plus a few Mormon essentials. These are my favorite kind of Mormons.
Your whole post here is almost verbatim the conversations I have been having...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 am

Reuben wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm
Q. What about this other Z?

A. [whittle, whittle, whittle]
I first thought this was a reference to the "whittling and whistling" gang in Nauvoo. I chuckled making that connection in a doctrinal discussion. :D

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Have seen first hand in a third world country how the church actively requires the locals to supplant their culture with "the culture of the gospel". For me it all goes together and can't be separated. The culture stems from the doctrine.

Eg Where the doctrine is worthiness, the culture is perfection, guilt and shame. They go hand in hand.

Where the doctrine is the word of wisdom, the culture is a lot if nit picking and attempts to out righteous each other.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 am

It's hard to blame the phony translation of the Book of Abraham on modern Mormon culture.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 am

alas wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 am
Sometimes I want to shake some of them and ask what is left after they whittle all the sexist things out? They have rejected JS because of how he abused women and called it polygamy. They reject priesthood, or reject the doctrine that only men have it. They reject the temple. And aren't they down to liberal Protestant beliefs?
It's how I see progressive Mormons too. After they take away the culture, and the incorrect interpretation of scripture, point out the prophet is fallible, etc., I wonder if we're even talking about the same church. Sounds like any church to me.