"Young Sheldon" Mormon librarian

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
dareka

"Young Sheldon" Mormon librarian

Post by dareka » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am

Do any of you watch The Big Bang Theory prequel Young Sheldon? It's one of the few TV shows I really like. Last night's episode has Sheldon learning about other religions in response to his mother making him attend Sunday School at her church. In one scene, Sheldon has just learned a little bit about the Catholic church from his friend, Tam. The librarian walks by and Sheldon asks her what her religion is. She says "I'm a Mormon." Sheldon asks her to tell him about it. I wish I had the exact dialog here, but I don't, so I'll have to go from memory. The librarian says the Mormon church started when Joseph Smith found a golden book in the ground, and that in that book it says that after we die we'll get a planet of our own. Well, men will. Women will get to go to the planet of their husband. But she (the librarian) won't because she's not married. She just has a cat, and maybe she'll go to his planet. Cat Planet.

I laughed pretty hard. Not entirely accurate in that the Book of Mormon doesn't say anything about getting a planet. But it does highlight a traditional belief that isn't emphasized much these days. I'm sure the true believers will cry persecution, but I thought it was hilarious.

Corsair

Re: "Young Sheldon" Mormon librarian

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am

There is no firm doctrine about what single people or LGBT people will do in the next life. The institutional church barely wants to provide details about what the most faithful will end up doing. Thinking about your cat planet is probably comforting to single women sitting in Relief Society when they are confronted with yet another lesson on "eternal marriage".

Now we just have to anticipate all the people who signed the petition about the NYT obit of Thomas Monson. If they are fired up enough they will now be annoyed by the comedic interpretation of LDS beliefs by Cat Lady on a cheesy sitcom.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am

dareka wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am
She just has a cat, and maybe she'll go to his planet. Cat Planet.
I actually like her Cat Planet idea.

I would rather go to Dog Planet, but I've also got no problem with cat people going to Cat Planet.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am
There is no firm doctrine about what single people or LGBT people will do in the next life. The institutional church barely wants to provide details about what the most faithful will end up doing. Thinking about your cat planet is probably comforting to single women sitting in Relief Society when they are confronted with yet another lesson on "eternal marriage".

Now we just have to anticipate all the people who signed the petition about the NYT obit of Thomas Monson. If they are fired up enough they will now be annoyed by the comedic interpretation of LDS beliefs by Cat Lady on a cheesy sitcom.
I believe they will be ministering angels -- servants to the righteous people who received the new and everlasting covenant.

This is not taught now because people would revolt, by its been taught in the past.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:11 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am
dareka wrote:

I would rather go to Dog Planet, but I've also got no problem with cat people going to Cat Planet.
If JS and BY have their way every planet will be Pussy Planet!

I tot I daw a puddy cat! I did. I did.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 am

We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:11 am
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am
dareka wrote:

I tot I daw a puddy cat! I did. I did.
:D :D THIS! Made my day!!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:11 am
Only because an angel with a drawn sword is demanding such planets.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm

What a bummer. I decided to watch a live stream of that episode and as soon as I got to the Sunday School portion and they got toward the end of reading the Lord's Prayer, at minute 16, the sound cut out. Sort of like it had been deliberately removed because the video portion was unaffected.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha