Welcome NOM refugees to NOM 2.0

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Welcome NOM refugees to NOM 2.0

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:38 am

Welcome back!

It's been a few crazy weeks after the old board went down without any explanation. I know many of us are disappointed but the reality is we aren't owed anything from Thayne. He spent his own time and money to keep it going as long as he did and for this I say on behalf of all of us, THANK YOU! Hopefully we can all recognize this for what it is and move forward. I will say that I personally do hold out hope that the old board content could be made public or archived somewhere in the future. It would be a loss to the world to have the many wonderful posts be gone forever. However, this decisions isn't ours to make. We can only move forward and recreate the things that matter the most to us.

The desire to create a new NOM 2.0 site was evident by the many people who reached out through the various other sites wondering if a resurrected board would exist. It wouldn't have been possible without Hagoth and Corsair. You'll notice a few new things such as better functionality around mobile and site encryption. We are open to all suggestions to make this place great. Please feel free to contribute any suggestions.

The purpose of continuing this new board isn't all that different from the vision of LDSMan. The purpose is to create a safe place where people can come for support as they navigate their way through the difficult process of evaluating their faith. Every person who goes through such an endeavor has to do it on their own terms, at their own speed, and with an unknown end result. Relationships with spouses, family, and friends are often the collateral damage of such faith transitions. May this new board be a place where we can respectfully discuss these issues and respect each other while providing support, community, and laughter while we learn to move forward in our respective paths.

Live, love, and laugh!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Deepthinker

Re: Welcome NOM refugees to NOM 2.0

Post by Deepthinker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:43 pm

I made it!

Thank you so much RR, Hagoth, and Corsair!

Looking forward to posting on the new site!

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:47 pm

I love you guys, and reddit ain't the same. It's fun and I can swear more, but NOM is home.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:48 pm

Yobispo wrote:I love you guys, and reddit ain't the same. It's fun and I can swear more, but NOM is home.
I'm inclined to allow PG-13 level swearing in Support. In any case, if anyone is having trouble with the email registration, contact me at nom@tranzatec.net.

John G.

Post by John G. » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:04 pm

Does anyone know why the old site is still down? Did the original administrators just give up on it? It has a lot of info on that should remain public.
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Glad to have the new site!

The poster formerly known as "Jelph".--------->
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Stig wrote:Glad to have the new site!

Where in the world have you been? Glad to see you here. We need to catch up!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:24 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Stig wrote:Glad to have the new site!

Where in the world have you been? Glad to see you here. We need to catch up!
Yeah, life has been...interesting over the past few months.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:25 pm

It's like a family reunion (with a family you actually like).
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

FreeBird

Post by FreeBird » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Glad to see NOM is back. I lurked for a few years but never registered. I decided to register and participate because I'd like to see an active and vibrant NOM board that can help others in their journey.

Like many others on this board, my wife is still active in the church. While we had a couple of turbulent years, we're currently in a great place (and we hope to stay there). To those who are currently in the midst of a faith transition - it gets better. I've felt a a lot of negative emotions at one time or another - anger, frustration, hurt, etc. - but I'm feeling free as a bird now.

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Awesome, guys. Nice work all around.

https://youtu.be/DY_DF2Af3LM
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

MyTurn

Post by MyTurn » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:51 pm

So glad you guys were able to accomplish what you wanted to do here. Best of luck. I may chime in once in awhile.

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:58 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for setting this up. When signing up my old username I had this weird feeling like what if my screen name was taken and someone was going to pose as me? hahahaha. Highly unlikely, but now I'm skeptical of you all being who you claim to be. :shock:

Look what the church has done to me. I trust no one.

I'm really happy to be able to insert a meme unlike reddit. Also happy about the smilies. :D
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Thanks for all the hard work, Red Ryder, Corsair, Hagoth, and I'm sure I'm missing a few (to which I apologize profusely) in reconfiguring a new board for us NOMites. I was in serious withdrawal for over a month. Some cool stories to share, and I'll wait a few days to just let the dews of NOM distilling wash over me before sharing them. Can't wait to hear from the best online ward out there.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm glad that we have a new home. I'm quite far from being an actual NOM, but I'll still post here from time to time, because I like the community. I guess that makes me a New Order New Order Mormon.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Thank you for setting up the new forum! Although no longer a NOMie, I still love reading about the more reasonable ways to deal with and view the Mormons in your life.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi everybody.

I feel like I'm home again!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Zadok

Post by Zadok » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:43 pm

So, you have a new world here, patterned after the old one.....

You need to partake of this fruit here... Now go get Adam to partake!
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Zadok wrote:So, you have a new world here, patterned after the old one.....

You need to partake of this fruit here... Now go get Adam to partake!
There is no doubt that Lucifer gets all the good lines. And I'm so glad to see you back here.