Big changes coming in April GC!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
oliver_denom

Re: Big changes coming in April GC!

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am
...Apostates will be accused of living in the past and can't see the divinely guided future.
Yep, I bet there will be something along these lines in at least a few talks. "Look to the Future..." they will say.

Cuz we all know that the past doesn't matter. After all, they were doing the best they could with the light they had....right?

Oh wait...WHERE AM I?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The 1950's are coming back y'all. Embrace the change!
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

alas

Post by alas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 am

Other than a few different butts in big red chairs, nothing will change.

NOMormon

Post by NOMormon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Don't get snookered into General Conference by talk of a big change. Nothing big ever happens. When the missionary age was lowered they advertised the broadcast as an "historic" event that we wouldn't want to miss and I swallowed the hook like a fat ugly fish-farmed catfish fully believing something big was coming down.... Oh, by the way, young men will go on missions at 18 now, sing praises to god. They just wanted to put buttocks to pew cushions. Church headquarters is run by numbers.
I know the church is true beyond any shadow of a doubt. I love my Mom and Dad and I know they love me too.

Vito

Post by Vito » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:31 pm

He's ninety three.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Whatever it is, it's now a whisper campaign.

Relatives from back east were in town and the whole extended family met for Sunday night dinner at the in-laws. Conversation was a buzz with excitement and speculation. I decided rather than keep my mouth shut I would add my thoughts.

1. Ordain women?
2. Polygamy brought back?
3. Garments worn only in the temple?
4. Mission age change back to 19/21
5. Mission length back to 18 months.
6. A non-white apostle?

Everyone agreed with 4 and 5 as possible, while 1,2,3,and 6 were considered not possible.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Remember, GC will be on April 1st.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Just read an article online somewhere today about how greed and narcissistic personalities are the ones who climb the corporate ladder. There is, in many ways, a direct correlation.

I wonder if the same exists in the church?.....

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:28 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 pm
Remember, GC will be on April 1st.
It makes you wonder if the resurrection was on April fools day.

Peter - I just can't believe he's gone. I'm devastated and will never recover.

Jesus - Psyche.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 pm

NOMormon wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 pm
Don't get snookered into General Conference by talk of a big change. Nothing big ever happens. When the missionary age was lowered they advertised the broadcast as an "historic" event that we wouldn't want to miss and I swallowed the hook like a fat ugly fish-farmed catfish fully believing something big was coming down.... Oh, by the way, young men will go on missions at 18 now, sing praises to god. They just wanted to put buttocks to pew cushions. Church headquarters is run by numbers.
I remember when I use to watch every session. I hoped to hear revelation or get an answer to my prayers. So much disappointment. I think there is as much divine influence in the LDS church lowering the mission age as in Japan deciding to lower the voting age from 20 to 18.

If there is actually a significant change that comes with this General Conference then I'm sure that I will hear about it quickly enough. No need to waste 10 hours of my weekend.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 pm

When it comes to big changes in conference, I liken these to the October Surprise. A big build up to little payoff.

If you don't expect anything, you are not disappointed when nothing happens.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:36 pm

I think the LDS position is so interesting at this point. They've painted themselves into a corner. In the past, there was that last revelation on the Spirit World by Joseph F. Smith. I don't know the exact history, but I think that was voted on and canonized. And here we are today where there are very few if any revelations--if you consider the priesthood ban lift a revelation.

Regardless, the church can't have revelation now BECAUSE I don't think they can successfully canonize it via the required sustaining vote. In a very real way, the corner they are in is one of all direction now no longer being revelation but only policy.

Hogbreath

Post by Hogbreath » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:57 am

Try this - google a GC talk from 70's, 80's or 90's. I did it awhile back and I almost laughed out loud as I listened. It's all the same stuff over and over. I will be prophetic and say they will for sure talk about.

Service
Temples
Obedience
Adversity
Tithing

If the speaker is not in the quorum of the 12, he/she will quote existing or previous prophet (Joseph Smith most likely). If in the 12, pattern the same. The prophet is free to quote a poem perhaps from some non-member but then quickly go back to quoting dead prophets.

Members will take notes and the following Sunday lessons will be given on GC talks trying to figure out some new angle on previously hashed and re-hashed topics. I've seen it over and over. Glad I'm not a part of it anymore!

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:45 am

Hogbreath wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:57 am
Try this - google a GC talk from 70's, 80's or 90's. I did it awhile back and I almost laughed out loud as I listened. It's all the same stuff over and over. I will be prophetic and say they will for sure talk about.

Service
Temples
Obedience
Adversity
Tithing

If the speaker is not in the quorum of the 12, he/she will quote existing or previous prophet (Joseph Smith most likely). If in the 12, pattern the same. The prophet is free to quote a poem perhaps from some non-member but then quickly go back to quoting dead prophets.

Members will take notes and the following Sunday lessons will be given on GC talks trying to figure out some new angle on previously hashed and re-hashed topics. I've seen it over and over. Glad I'm not a part of it anymore!
It stupifies your BRAIN this stuff they keep saying.

I haven't been to church in probably 5 years. But I remember the weekly PH meeting always having half the class looking at their cell phones, and most just surfing the web or looking at their calendars or whatnot.

Its a joke. It really is.

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Oh, I wish there was something positive to hope for... but what seems most likely is that many small changes will be presented as a big change... and all will be deeper entrenchment. My best guesses:

-Proc. on Family added to D&C

-Members encouraged to be politically active against something that is actually socially progressive (not sure which topic, pick one, they just need a political presence for their fantasy political image, any LDS topic will do)

-Training programs added for all BP/SP members who interview youth (dodging bullet training, not the solution that is needed)

-Members encouraged to post more pre-prepared church messages on social media to promote the church (which will cause a lot of damage, but might control what members post, and while a bad idea, it sounds good on paper)

-2 hour block on Sunday

-New lesson manuals that support the above

-Missionary qualification program (to weed out the many unprepared applicants, those with mental health issues, those who should wait a year or two and grow up a bit more)

and maybe

-A church internet filter added to lds.org, so all internet browsing can be 'safe' for members (as in, no DAMU websites)

or similar small entrenchment changes like that.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Here you go:
MormonLeaks™ wrote: @Mormon_Leaks - 4:05 PM - 16 Mar 2018
Additionally, multiple sources close to the matter have confirmed that the @LDSchurch is replacing the Home and Visiting Teaching programs with a program called 'Ministering'. Participants will be referred to as 'Ministering Brothers' and 'Ministering Sisters'.

@Mormon_Leaks - 2:26 PM - 16 Mar 2018
@LDSchurch announces they are discontinuing the monthly 'First Presidency Message' as indicated by the last paragraph of this article.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2018/04/as-w ... r?lang=eng

https://twitter.com/Mormon_Leaks/status ... 4413225985
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 pm

wtfluff wrote:Here you go:
MormonLeaks[emoji769 wrote:]
@Mormon_Leaks - 4:05 PM - 16 Mar 2018
Additionally, multiple sources close to the matter have confirmed that the @LDSchurch is replacing the Home and Visiting Teaching programs with a program called 'Ministering'. Participants will be referred to as 'Ministering Brothers' and 'Ministering Sisters'.

@LDSchurch announces they are discontinuing the monthly 'First Presidency Message' as indicated by the last paragraph of this article.

So basically the same exact thing except re-branding it to sound more culty and/or mainstream protestant. Got it.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:27 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 pm
wtfluff wrote:Here you go:
MormonLeaks[emoji769 wrote:]
@Mormon_Leaks - 4:05 PM - 16 Mar 2018

So basically the same exact thing except re-branding it to sound more culty and/or mainstream protestant. Got it.
Well, yeah. Those were my first thoughts also: Same lame program, new name.

REVELATION!!!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Hogbreath wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:57 am
Service
Temples
Obedience
Adversity
Tithing

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:04 am

This is such a significant revelation, I’m sure it will be canonized. /s
I wonder if the men will be paired with spouse and sons? Will the YW play a role? Maybe the YW can hand out ensign magazines during the visit.

Ministering sounds so Protestant. Also, the deacon is supposed to minister. I wonder if deacons will also be involved.
~2bizE

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:47 am

So, they are pairing men w/ their wives to make sure the men actually go. My TBM husband never does his HT. I always tried to do my VT. I opted out of VT, including being visit taught, at least 5 years ago. It has been wonderful. So I'm not going to go "ministering", nor will I encourage my husband to go.
Same old stuff I guess.