Oh my God

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Kishkumen

Oh my God

Post by Kishkumen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 am

Does this phrase have a different meaning to you now? As a TBM, I believed it was profane to say this. It was taking the name of the lord in vain.

You might have better luck letting the occasional F bomb slip compared to saying Oh my God!

I still don't like this phrase/expression, but not for same reasons as before. I don't like it now because I don't know exactly what it means and I don't what God has to do with whatever is causing someone to say it.

However, my son says it on a rare occasion. He's picking it up from school and just being around people. We don't really correct him by telling him "We don't say that!" But we try to steer him away from the phrase regardless.

What say ye?

alas

Re: Oh my God

Post by alas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am

Well, my mother taught us that people use such phrases because they are uneducated and have a small vocabulary. She would not crook the us by shaming us on using the lords name in vain, but on being too lazy to find real words to express what we wanted to say. "You sound like you grew up in the gutter."

So, I had to teach myself to "talk normal" so people didn't think I was goody two shoes. When we were so poor I didn't have any shoes, at least in the summer. I got no new shoes until school started.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 am
Does this phrase have a different meaning to you now?
In the past I would have considered their use moral infractions. Now, it is one of multiple religious invective or exclamatory phrases that are part of the culture I exist in, just one more wrench in the linguistic tool belt. Though honestly I don't use "Oh my God" very often, or "Jesus Christ", other phrases (religious or otherwise) tend to be my go tos.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Does this phrase have a different meaning to you now?
Yep, the phrase has a different meaning to me now. I wonder which version of god someone is referring to. :D

And honestly in this day and age, no-one has to actually say it out loud. Just drop an "OMG" and a couple of "WTF"s and whoever hears you can decide how to translate...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 pm

I grew up pretty TBM, though both parents would occasionally use light swear words. When I was a teenager I was with my dad and he stubbed his toe in the garage and said, "God, dammit!" My eyes got really wide and I was legit shocked to hear those words come out of my dad's mouth. He could have screamed the F word and I would have been less shocked. He saw the look in my eyes and got mad at me for judging him. Not one of his better moments.

The phrase definitely has a different meaning now, intellectually I agree with Dravin. However, I still don't say it except experimentally when I'm alone, and my first emotional reaction when I hear it is to recoil. But that's what swear words do, if they didn't then they wouldn't be swear words.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Hmmm. Applicable?

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 pm

I think that if I decided to systematically break every rule that I had learned in church and do the opposite, strong language would be one of the most difficult ones for me.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm

Oh my god is such a useful phrase.

It can mean nearly anything from cries of ecstatic joy to disappointment or even contempt.

I never dared say it a few years ago but now find it quite funny to use.

“Oh, MY god” is the way I would describe my understanding of the whole god concept. It’s the one in MY head so it’s MY god.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:10 am

ive always heard people say this is taking the lords name in vain, and i used to think this until several years ago. it isnt. Taking the lords name in vain means claiming the lord said something when he really didnt. Nonetheless, it isnt even Gods name. Its a made up name to replace saying the lords name. So how is taking the lords made up, fake, generalized name bad?
So, i dont say it much, but when i do, it usually has damnit after and im mad.
~2bizE

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 am

Kishkumen wrote:
Does this phrase have a different meaning to you now? As a TBM, I believed it was profane to say this. It was taking the name of the lord in vain.
Thanks for posting this Kish! I was thinking of posting about this topic this past week when I said the phrase casually (in vain). I thought about how it was one of the most offensive things for me to hear when I was a TBM, much more offensive than any other swear word.

It took me a while to sluff off the programming and comfortably use the phrase; it wasn't a conscience effort per se, but more like I just evolved (or devolved) into using it once in a while without any thought about how it caused me cogdis in the past. I will say I use variations of the Fbomb much more than OMG. What's so funny about the phrase is that now I don't have a god, so using "oh my god" as an expression has entirely no meaning to my personal beliefs; it's as trite as trite can be.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am

There are times when invoking the name of God can and should be allowable. Still, the fact that divine respect arose out of the fundamental myths of early Jewish belief continues to be amusing. The beginning of the Book of John has 18 verses establish that the Word was with God and the Word was God. The power of the Word of God and the Name of God still exists in the hearts and minds of believers and heretics.

I had a high school English teacher who also coached my speech and debate team. She was a devout Catholic and avoided Christian blasphemy by invoking some other deity. Usually it was of the form of a threat such as, "If you don't finish that paper I swear to Buddha that you will not pass this class!" This seemed to pass the filters of the most devout Catholic and Mormon students as avoiding breaking the third commandment.

I have since used this tactic with my children. "What in Cthulhu's name are you doing?!" is a phrase that has passed my lips and avoided assiduous LDS censors. No one has chastised me yet for Lovecraftian blasphemy.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 am

From force of habit I still say things like “Oh my gosh” or “Oh my heck.” I did startle my grandson once when I let a “Oh S@&&” escape my lips, but to the pure, all is pure.😋
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm friends with a standup comic who has a routine based around how the word "sh*t" is one of the most universal words in the english language. it is very funny and makes you think.

If you want to watch it, look up "Dave Christensen Really Knows his Sh*t" on youtube. Warning, NSFW!

I'll post a link when I'm not at work.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:10 am
ive always heard people say this is taking the lords name in vain, and i used to think this until several years ago. it isnt. Taking the lords name in vain means claiming the lord said something when he really didnt. Nonetheless, it isnt even Gods name. Its a made up name to replace saying the lords name. So how is taking the lords made up, fake, generalized name bad?
So, i dont say it much, but when i do, it usually has damnit after and im mad.

To me taking God's name in vain means you "take his name" (sacrament/ baptism, call yourself Christian etc) but don't actually act as he would act. You're claiming to represent his name and then not walking the walk.

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:18 am

I’ve been careful not to say this my whole life as a Mormon, but now I don’t care at all when people say it. It’s just another expression to add emphasis.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:51 am

Sorry I didn't get this earlier. The last day or so has been insane.

Again, not safe for work:
David Christensen Knows His Sh*t.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams